starting strength gym
Page 2132 of 3003 FirstFirst ... 11321632203220822122213021312132213321342142218222322632 ... LastLast
Results 21,311 to 21,320 of 30027

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Rowe View Post
    Watch what happens with Twitter and Musk. Musk is ... rare in that he is presumably guided by his ethical and moral principles.
    I note that his statement after getting his bid approved by the Twitter board contained the words "authenticating all humans".
    Let me tell you what I think it means.
    It means that whatever you write on Twitter will be recorded for future use, and forever associated to you via an electronic ID that you won't be able to get rid of. Ever.
    I can't see this as much progress, but maybe it's just me.

IPB

Quote Originally Posted by Subby View Post
    The Earth as a whole, is more complicated then a greenhouse.
    No its not, it is one big greenhouse with water vapor being the primary green house gas. That is why Greenland is called Greenland because back many years ago it was green due to the then atmospheric conditions which made the world mostly green, that is before Co2 confused most folk. The world is colder now than is was even with all the Co2 we produce today.

Quote Originally Posted by Subby View Post
    The closest example, and what you should have used is a rainforest. Rainforests trap water and heat, yet the areas around and above rainforests are not. The area of affect only encompasses the area which the affect takes place in. The greenhouse doesn't warm the town around the greenhouse.
    Then you never lived in the tropics where cities and towns are continually warm despite any rain forest. One of the excuses for global warming (now climate change) is because of so much concrete and bitumen cities become heat islands and the temperature recorded is always higher. Two things make this earth a greenhouse, the sun and evaporated water, that is why we have rain forests, vegetation just grows better in a greenhouse, a fundamental fact. The earth was warmer a long time back before the axis of the earth changed which produced seasons giving us polar ice caps. A cold earth is not normal and any folk who flip because of a degree or two temperature change have not lived long enough on this earth. Back in the 1970's they told us the world was heading a for an ice age. The best way to see what the climate is doing is go outside and find the sun and see if it is still shining, when it stops then we can panic.

I find this video both calming and yet chilling at the same time...

So many of us have lost these simple skills which require not much more than hard work and learning, and the will and patience required to do so. Kinda sounds like strength training eh?

We've lived lives of modern convenience for far too many years; I think it's time to get back to being as self sufficient as possible.

I'm currently looking at an old wood fired cast iron stove I happened across recently. I think that retro fit along with another fireplace would be worthwhile.

Ya know, just in case...

A Regular Folks Supper 200 years Ago - March 1820 - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by wal View Post
    That is why Greenland is called Greenland because back many years ago it was green due to the then atmospheric conditions which made the world mostly green,
    When was this, wal?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    When was this, wal?
    Before you were born Mark. Does not geology cover some aspects of climatology?

Okay, wal.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Okay, wal.
    Don't you believe me Mark? I know one of your ancient ancestors Erik The Red was purported to have called that island "Greenland", but I think the science has already proven Greenland was green somewhere in the past before Erik showed up. Your the resident Geologist, am I wrong?

Fossil DNA Proves Greenland Once Had Lush Forests; Ice Sheet Is Surprisingly Stable -- ScienceDaily

Proof on Ice: Southern Greenland Was Once Green; Earth Warmer - Scientific American

Quote Originally Posted by wal View Post
    Don't you believe me Mark? I know one of your ancient ancestors Erik The Red was purported to have called that island "Greenland", but I think the science has already proven Greenland was green somewhere in the past before Erik showed up. Your the resident Geologist, am I wrong?

Fossil DNA Proves Greenland Once Had Lush Forests; Ice Sheet Is Surprisingly Stable -- ScienceDaily

Proof on Ice: Southern Greenland Was Once Green; Earth Warmer - Scientific American
    From the first article:
    The research results are the first direct proof that there was forest in southern Greenland. Furthermore Willerslev found genetic traces of insects such as butterflies, moths, flies and beetles. But when was that? According to most scientific theories to date, all of southern Greenland and most of the northern part were ice-free during the last interglacial period 125,000 years ago, when the climate was 5 degrees warmer than the interglacial period we currently live in.

This theory however, was not confirmed by Willerslev and co-workers subsequent datings. He analysed the insects' mitochondria, which are special genomes that change with time and like a clock can be used to date the DNA. He also analysed their amino acids which also change over time. Both datings showed that the insects were at least 450,000 years old.

The dating of dust particles also showed that it has been at least 450,000 years ago since the area of the DYE-3 drilling, in the southern part of Greenland, was ice-free.
    Before Erik's time. That's why I asked. The name "Greenland" was an early form of marketing.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by mkm5 View Post
    I find this video both calming and yet chilling at the same time...

So many of us have lost these simple skills which require not much more than hard work and learning, and the will and patience required to do so. Kinda sounds like strength training eh?

We've lived lives of modern convenience for far too many years; I think it's time to get back to being as self sufficient as possible.

I'm currently looking at an old wood fired cast iron stove I happened across recently. I think that retro fit along with another fireplace would be worthwhile.

Ya know, just in case...

A Regular Folks Supper 200 years Ago - March 1820 - YouTube

that was so nice and peaceful to watch, no one yapping, just the cooking and the sound of some chickens, what a perfect world hey.