starting strength gym
Page 2174 of 3003 FirstFirst ... 11741674207421242164217221732174217521762184222422742674 ... LastLast
Results 21,731 to 21,740 of 30027

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by mkm5 View Post
    I sent this video to two of my daughters, one with a 9 month old baby, and the other due any time now. There was a link to making homemade baby formula to be used if the mom has any issues with nursing.

The link was blocked stating it violated "community guidelines."

I thought this might be more than useful considering the current state of this administration thinking starving babies is just business as usual.

Apparently, the algorithm disagrees with me.

WTF?

Introducing Food to Baby ? Transitioning Your Baby From Breast Milk to Food ? Dr.Berg - YouTube
    We did exclusively breastfed (my wife is an absolute champion) straight into baby-led weaning. No baby food or formula. The rule with baby-led weenie is if they red and choking they're okay. If they're blue and choking finger sweep and do the baby heimlich.

Kids turned out super healthy and grew like weeds.

Quote Originally Posted by Jovan Dragisic View Post
    I don’t see how I am proving your point. The Russians don’t apologize for Stalin because they don’t really think he did anything wrong. You seem to be projecting a lot onto the Russians, these things you talk about simply don’t exist there.
    You're right, Jovan; there IS nothing to apologize for. I hang out with very non-metroploitan crowds so they definitely DO exist here in flyover country, and yet you're probably right that they shade my thinking about Russians in general, but regardless the fatal flaw in my logic was trying to defend whether Putin['s government] is neutral or gung-ho on Stalinism.

You can have that one: Russians are authoritarian assholes who still don't even try to make amends for the horrors they commited under Stalin and the others.

The way you prove my point is that there are myriad groups that "lost" in the past and now want restitution from the winners, just as you demonstrated by going after Stalin, and I think Russia is smart and stands alone in unequivocally not apologizing for its past (though I ask again for examples, because maybe France and Spain similarly do not apologize for their colonial misadventures in Africa and South America).

Why is it smart? It's tough to build patriotism amongst your people when you're constantly apologizing for what were in fact survival of the fittest or competitive advantage victories.

Supporting your dirty past of course doesn't magically make all your citizens hold hands and sing kumbuyah, so, yeah, probably Putin not apologizing simply serves to silence those who would otherwise apologize for the "icky" parts of Russia's past.

And my point is, so what? America's constant apologizing over the past thirty years has NOT lead to greater social cohesion: the aggrieved are never satisfied and those who are blamed start to masochistically hate themselves.

So this gov't stance of NOT apologizing for your icky past is DEFINITELY the way to strengthen societies: that "dirty" history is part of what shaped your culture into what it is today, anyway, so to apologize for it would be to apologize for your very culture, which CANNOT lead to healthier, stronger societies.

Seriously, this blaming, complaining, and apologizing crap of the West needs to go. We even do it with all our "green" crap, talking about how "eco-guilty" you should feel. But anyways, if the police officers and politicians kneeling to BLM wasn't enough to convince you that Russia apologizing for Stalin will NEVER satisfy the aggreived or make your younger generations stronger and more patriotic, I don't know what else to tell you.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiva Kaul View Post
    How does your point differ from, say, this this SciAm article?
    My point was that just because they don't provide protection against infection with the currently circulating variants does not mean that they are not vaccines or that they are not useful. That article was trying to convince people that 90% protection against infection was good enough to have a major impact.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Charles View Post
    Just picking on this as an example. Do you agree with the idea or not? Or are you intentionally leaving an ensemble of possible answers so that you can’t be accountable for defending anything specific?
    Barry, please clarify which idea you want to know about.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I do not believe the data because the people providing the data are liars. This has been demonstrated so many times that we question your motives in sticking to your narrative.
    You don't trust the people manufacturing the data because not only can you identify their lies but you also understand the perverted conflicts of interest and shady funding they operate under. Head down the rabbit hole of the funding behind many of the studies creating "new" understandings of infectious disease and transmission, and you will find a convoluted, incestuous, interconnected web of direct and indirect funding, replete with lots of shady inter-organization donations. It all looks like a money-laundering scheme that would make any drug cartel jealous.

Too much of the research producing "new science" in response to Covid isn't being funded to answer fundamental questions, it is being funded to create/support narratives.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Laureys View Post
    And my point is, so what? America's constant apologizing over the past thirty years has NOT lead to greater social cohesion: the aggrieved are never satisfied and those who are blamed start to masochistically hate themselves.

So this gov't stance of NOT apologizing for your icky past is DEFINITELY the way to strengthen societies: that "dirty" history is part of what shaped your culture into what it is today, anyway, so to apologize for it would be to apologize for your very culture, which CANNOT lead to healthier, stronger societies.

Seriously, this blaming, complaining, and apologizing crap of the West needs to go. We even do it with all our "green" crap, talking about how "eco-guilty" you should feel. But anyways, if the police officers and politicians kneeling to BLM wasn't enough to convince you that Russia apologizing for Stalin will NEVER satisfy the aggreived or make your younger generations stronger and more patriotic, I don't know what else to tell you.
    Anytime you apologize because someone coerces you to apologize -- not because you feel the personal need to do so, because you know you did something wrong, and you need to make amends to the person you actually harmed -- you are fucking up, perhaps for the last time. Because your apology is not what they want. They want your soul, and when you kneel before them in abject supplication, you hand it to them, never to have it back. If you personally did nothing wrong, you cannot apologize. And you are not apologizing when you "apologize" -- you are surrendering. And then you are defeated, forever.

Quote Originally Posted by newguyray View Post
    You don't trust the people manufacturing the data because not only can you identify their lies but you also understand the perverted conflicts of interest and shady funding they operate under. Head down the rabbit hole of the funding behind many of the studies creating "new" understandings of infectious disease and transmission, and you will find a convoluted, incestuous, interconnected web of direct and indirect funding, replete with lots of shady inter-organization donations. It all looks like a money-laundering scheme that would make any drug cartel jealous.

Too much of the research producing "new science" in response to Covid isn't being funded to answer fundamental questions, it is being funded to create/support narratives.
    Please try to explain this to Professor Grantham.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Grantham View Post

Barry, please clarify which idea you want to know about.

“ I get it that you (Rip) don't think that people are capable of making the right decision when money is on the line. I can't say that you should not have that opinion because that has apparently been your experience. However, that's not been my (Grantham) experience. “

That’s what I want to know about.

Quote Originally Posted by David A. Rowe View Post
    We did exclusively breastfed (my wife is an absolute champion) straight into baby-led weaning. No baby food or formula. The rule with baby-led weenie is if they red and choking they're okay. If they're blue and choking finger sweep and do the baby heimlich.

Kids turned out super healthy and grew like weeds.
    Yes, it's unfortunate that so many mom's use formula, when their bodies literally produce the perfect baby food.

This is a product of modern society where kids get placed into daycare while mom goes back to work, or they just don't want to try nursing anymore.

My grandson was born a little early, at 6.5 pounds. By three months old, he was a happy healthy 18 pounds, and my daughter lost the 40 pounds she gained during pregnancy. She's got a bunch of friends that recently had babies, and she's the only one nursing.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Grantham View Post
    My point was that just because they don't provide protection against infection with the currently circulating variants does not mean that they are not vaccines or that they are not useful. That article was trying to convince people that 90% protection against infection was good enough to have a major impact.
    "Don't provide protection" versus "90% protection". Is it fair to say that your assessment of reality in May 2022 (or perhaps October 2021) is more pessimistic than the predictions of January 2021? Were the RBD mutations too challenging to predict?

Quote Originally Posted by mkm5 View Post
    Yes, it's unfortunate that so many mom's use formula, when their bodies literally produce the perfect baby food.

This is a product of modern society where kids get placed into daycare while mom goes back to work, or they just don't want to try nursing anymore.

My grandson was born a little early, at 6.5 pounds. By three months old, he was a happy healthy 18 pounds, and my daughter lost the 40 pounds she gained during pregnancy. She's got a bunch of friends that recently had babies, and she's the only one nursing.
    Listen, I loathe feminists as much as the next guy, but lots and lots of women are actually incapable for one reason or another of breastfeeding, be it an issue with their equipment or with the child. I'm glad you guys had such great success and my wife would be glad for you, too, because it is what she wanted to do. Life, however, had other plans for her and our kids. Ergo, formula.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Charles View Post
    “ I get it that you (Rip) don't think that people are capable of making the right decision when money is on the line. I can't say that you should not have that opinion because that has apparently been your experience. However, that's not been my (Grantham) experience. “

That’s what I want to know about.
    I've worked in science labs since I was an undergraduate student...20-plus years. I've worked on projects funded by NSF, CDC, IARPA, private donations, multiple NIH-funded projects , and I've consulted for a project funded by DARPA. None of these agencies interfered with the work we did in any way, and no one falsified data, buried data, or avoided experiments or controls to get the story to come out a particular way. No one fabricated data to obtain the funding for these projects or to obtain follow-on funding.

It has not been my experience that the people doing research or providing data are liars. Does that mean that it cannot be so?...obviously not. If someone here has some of their own personal experiences that contradict that, please feel free.

Is that direct enough Barry?