starting strength gym
Page 2302 of 3004 FirstFirst ... 13021802220222522292230023012302230323042312235224022802 ... LastLast
Results 23,011 to 23,020 of 30035

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Then you haven't been clear. Several of us get the impression that this is an accurate assessment.

I think you mean "Etymology." What does "homophobia" mean? "Transphobia"?
    I get what you mean, and we could still use "discrimination" instead of "x-phobia" to describe what that word meand. But in english it's supposed to mean "phobia of men", right?

Your assessments are inaccurate. I do not care about saving anyone and I'm not a delusional fool. Mine is simply a focus on language itself and there is no bigger agenda to what I'm saying here. You realize how big of a narcissistic asshole I'd have to be to think that my words on a strength training board about this topic could have any influence whatsoever on anyone?
    You think I would've enjoyed listening and learning from Rip almost every day for the past two years if I was thinking like that?
    I believe I have explained myself in many ways during this discussion and in none of those ways did I portray the image you guys are giving me.

Quote Originally Posted by anticausal View Post
    Saw this comment on gab, and I think it's worth posting
    Unfortunately, the term "science" has come to mean a belief system founded upon the logical fallacy of appeal to authority.

Whenever people invoke "science" to support a viewpoint these days, they aren't referring to a rigorous methodology of testing hypotheses based on observations and then trying to disprove the results through repeated testing. Instead they are referring to a belief in a mythology that comports with their current worldview. "Science", in common parlance, basically means the opposite of what it actually is. Sort of like how "literally" now means "figuratively", "science" now means an unquestioning belief in an unfounded assertion from a bureaucrat.

Quote Originally Posted by francesco.decaro View Post
    I get what you mean, and we could still use "discrimination" instead of "x-phobia" to describe what that word meand. But in english it's supposed to mean "phobia of men", right?

Your assessments are inaccurate. I do not care about saving anyone and I'm not a delusional fool. Mine is simply a focus on language itself and there is no bigger agenda to what I'm saying here. You realize how big of a narcissistic asshole I'd have to be to think that my words on a strength training board about this topic could have any influence whatsoever on anyone?
    You think I would've enjoyed listening and learning from Rip almost every day for the past two years if I was thinking like that?
    I believe I have explained myself in many ways during this discussion and in none of those ways did I portray the image you guys are giving me.
    Jesus Christ, stop being so obstinate, you dug yourself into a hole and you just keep digging. To quote the great Malcom Tucker: You know what I call "semantics"? Wank!

George Carlin claims India didn't exist in 1492. According to him, it was Hindustan.
    https://youtube.com/clip/UgkxUepsf3I...8CkU5q6VPmJbIf

Quote Originally Posted by francesco.decaro View Post
    This takes the award for biggest misunderstandement of my point of view. I don't even know where to start.

I don't care. Ethymology still counts. Indian means "from India".
    Black americans call themselves "nigga", which I think it's stupid. Are they cool with it? Sure. It still stupid in my opinion.
    But you've mistaken my opinion as some kind of political or personal agenda.
    So, you sound like every other young guy, Italian or not, that I've talked to before. Let me try to give you a viewpoint to consider:

Some of us live in the US and have family or friends with heritage from the native tribes here. Of course the history was ugly at times, but history always is both ugly and woefully inaccurate.

You say etymology counts, but what you're missing is that it's not a code to be enforced. Yes, European colonists and explorers mistook them for India Indians, but that's how things go. History, and specifically etymology, are full of such examples of incorrect, slang, borrowed terms/words, etc.

Some tribes care about using Native American over American Indian. Some probably want it to be spiteful or in the present age on the "correct" side. There are a lot of tribes that prefer American Indian, and they're likely still the majority.

What you're really missing, though, is that none of that matters. That it's not racist, bigoted, incorrect or uniformed. Even bald-faced, pure, hateful racism doesn't matter compared to the way you and the rest of society have been programmed to think and react to the whole game.

It is a game of power, and the weak-willed, weak-minded, limp-wristed, worm-tongued, viciously evil bastards want you to play it -- win or lose.

Stop. Caring. You can't change anyone else's mind about it, and certainly not THEM. You're young, and you're figuring out your rules for life, still. Just realize no one else HAS to play by YOURS and vice versa.

If I were you, and this is merely a suggestion... I'd take a couple of steps back and think on it for a while.

---------
    An extremely powerful presentation.
    ICU Physician Dr. Mollie James Shares Her First-Hand Experience w/ COVID Medical Tyranny

"This is my typical ICU. This is the typical patient I take care of. I had 5 ECMO [life support] patients in a 15 bed ICU and 4 of them were post-jab."

Clip: ICU Physician Dr. Mollie James Shares Her First-Hand Experience w/ COVID Medical Tyranny

Full Presentation: ICU Physician Dr. Mollie James' Full Presentation @ Health Conference Ireland 2022

--------

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan DCNT View Post
    Unfortunately, the term "science" has come to mean a belief system founded upon the logical fallacy of appeal to authority.

Whenever people invoke "science" to support a viewpoint these days, they aren't referring to a rigorous methodology of testing hypotheses based on observations and then trying to disprove the results through repeated testing. Instead they are referring to a belief in a mythology that comports with their current worldview. "Science", in common parlance, basically means the opposite of what it actually is. Sort of like how "literally" now means "figuratively", "science" now means an unquestioning belief in an unfounded assertion from a bureaucrat.
    These people can be quickly identified by asking them to define science.

Quote Originally Posted by Jovan Dragisic View Post
    I don't think that the Company will let the Democrats take the fall, I think they are intelligent enough to see that they can't rig this election one way or another. It was easy to push the neocon agenda on the Bush administration, because Clinton had raided Russia and Social Security enough that the electorate thought it was the best of times, so why not punish some Arab insolence. The Bidens are set to spend as much in "sending" "weapons" and "aid" to the Ukraine as Bush did in all the years of Iraq ffs, this is enough to turn everybody off of interventionism. I expect a non-Empire (empire-little?) USA to emerge by 2024. The Company only has about six more months as a dominant force in Northern America. It will regroup, give up on the dream of a European empire and start scheming to keep the US belligerent towards China in preparation for Hong Kong's return to the fold in 2047 - once Hong Kong is gone, so is HSBC, so is the City for all intents and purposes.
    I'm not sure you and I are talking about the same people. Who do you mean by "the company"?

Rumor is that three Canadians were pulled from the CrossFit games due to blood clots. Quick internet scrape only shows this:

Emily Rolfe Reflects on Emergency Surgery in Madison, Says Calluses Changed Surgeon’s Approach '-' Morning Chalk Up

Quote Originally Posted by Matt James View Post
    It was one of your folks that fucked that up originally, don't pin that on us.
    Columbus was italian, but wasn't the expedition funded from the Spanish Crown? I think the crew was probably not fully italian.
    Plus, Columbus landed in Central America, he never met the "indians" that populated what is now the USA.
    You do call yourselves "americans" thanks to Amerigo Vespucci, one of our folks.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Rowe View Post
    So, you sound like every other young guy, Italian or not, that I've talked to before. Let me try to give you a viewpoint to consider:

Some of us live in the US and have family or friends with heritage from the native tribes here. Of course the history was ugly at times, but history always is both ugly and woefully inaccurate.

You say etymology counts, but what you're missing is that it's not a code to be enforced. Yes, European colonists and explorers mistook them for India Indians, but that's how things go. History, and specifically etymology, are full of such examples of incorrect, slang, borrowed terms/words, etc.

Some tribes care about using Native American over American Indian. Some probably want it to be spiteful or in the present age on the "correct" side. There are a lot of tribes that prefer American Indian, and they're likely still the majority.

What you're really missing, though, is that none of that matters. That it's not racist, bigoted, incorrect or uniformed. Even bald-faced, pure, hateful racism doesn't matter compared to the way you and the rest of society have been programmed to think and react to the whole game.

It is a game of power, and the weak-willed, weak-minded, limp-wristed, worm-tongued, viciously evil bastards want you to play it -- win or lose.

Stop. Caring. You can't change anyone else's mind about it, and certainly not THEM. You're young, and you're figuring out your rules for life, still. Just realize no one else HAS to play by YOURS and vice versa.

If I were you, and this is merely a suggestion... I'd take a couple of steps back and think on it for a while.
    Again, I do not believing in enforcing anything on anyone. I'm just expressing my opinion on the use of this language.
    You are right, it does not matter. My replies now are only my attempt at defending myself from the accusations of being a brainwashed young guy. This is not contributing to the thread, so I would say we stop focusing on me and I'll stop focusing on smantics.