starting strength gym
Page 2337 of 3020 FirstFirst ... 13371837223722872327233523362337233823392347238724372837 ... LastLast
Results 23,361 to 23,370 of 30199

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Really, the children are in charge now, seeking validation for "caring about the planet," running around yelling about "carbon" -- the 4th most abundant element in the physical universe --being a deadly poison. Their managers are common criminals whose entire agenda is money and control, and we are letting it happen. It is the result of the shitty science education we received in the government schools, and it probably cannot be stopped.
    California asks residents not to charge electric vehicles, days after announcing gas car ban | MyStateline.com

Quote Originally Posted by anticausal View Post
    Biden giving political prime-time speech to address ‘extremist threat’ by MAGA Republicans

The president is declaring war on half the nation in a prime time speech. This is absolutely insane.
    "Don’t tell me you support law enforcement if you won’t condemn what happened on the 6th,” Biden said to applause"

Since when do democrats support cops? No-one should support cops BTW, they are a double edged sword and should be treated as such. "Supporting" Cops is like supporting hurricanes because it blew away the house of someone you don't like.

I look forward to the media reporting his dementia tics during this speech.

Quote Originally Posted by anticausal View Post
    Biden giving political prime-time speech to address ‘extremist threat’ by MAGA Republicans

The president is declaring war on half the nation in a prime time speech. This is absolutely insane.
    Seems quite desperate. I don’t see a way in which Orange Man does not return to power.

Quote Originally Posted by Jovan Dragisic View Post
    He doesn't care about these things, he "tunes it out". Plus, don't worry, the EU will put a price cap on energy prices by the end of September, this will work wonders for inflation!
    I don't live in a big city, so there's that. More local production of food, lots of wood to burn. I'm in an area where winter doesn't get incredibly cold. So I'll be alright. I don't believe drastic measures will need to be taken.

Of what value is the solving of the problems, and therefore the value of the reward? Time invested in digging a hole and filling it back up cannot be rewarded by rational processes.
    The value of the resources necessary to solve said problems plus the market value of the rewarded coin, as well as the intrinsic value of Bitcoin, which could be different based on personal preference given Bitcoin's many advantegous feautures when compared to fiat money (privacy, semi-anonimosity, verifiable, decentralized, deflationary and so on).

Quote Originally Posted by francesco.decaro View Post
    Bitcoin is a digital peer-to-peer payment system.
    The coins are given by the network as a reward to the miners who collect transactions and put them in the blockchain (ledger). 1 block is roughly 1Mb of transactions. I'm a little rusty on the computational process, but basically it is a competition between miners to solve it before the other ones do. The difficulty is adjusted to make it so that roughly every 10 minutes a new block is created and a reward is given to a miner.
    The dentralized nature of the nodes (which is any computer that contains the blockchain) makes it impossible to attack the whole network in order to reverse the blockchain or modify it. Well not impossible, just really really expensive and computationally close to impossible.
    Now this is all basic stuff, and I admit I don't know much more than this.
    An experienced programmer and someone who has used Bitcoin for a while can certainly give a more detailed and satisfactory explanation
    It seems like a fiat currency that you have to expend a lot of energy and time (value) to obtain, that is trackable and show all the entities that have owned it. It has no value in and of itself unlike gold, silver or platinum. If all the power goes out it is unusable like credit cards right? Blockchain follows suit with tracking and identifying who has owned it.

If tomorrow no one gave a shit about Crypto or NFTs they would be worth nothing like tulip bulbs in the 1600's.

The push towards a 'cashless' society seems to be another level of control. You are bad I am locking your accounts. If all money is 'electronic' big brother sees it all.

It seems it is all about control.

I have asked these questions to electric car zealots over the years:
    • Where do we get the electricity to charge your F'ing car?
    • When your e car is done what do you do with the toxic shit in the batteries? Most Junk Yards won't take them.
    • Do you think the equipment used to mine the elements in your batteries is powered electrically?

The hypocrisy of the whole think is mind boggling.

'Electric Vehicles Are TERRIBLE for the Environment': Dr. Roger McGrath Dispels the Lies [VIDEO]

Of what value is the solving of the problems, and therefore the value of the reward? Time invested in digging a hole and filling it back up cannot be rewarded by rational processes.
    I think the analogy of mining is pretty good. It scales with energy. More computers calculating gives a higher probability of finding a coin. Similar to backyard panning vs major commercial operations. I can accept in the abstract that more energy consumed produces more reward (provided entropy is not increased).

The problem, to me, unlike gold which is real and finite, is that crypto is conceptual and potentially infinite. Apparently how modern governments treat money anyway.

Ray Gillenwater is offline Administrator, Starting Strength Gyms
    Starting Strength Coach

Quote Originally Posted by Subby View Post
    How often did a superior ask you to "make the model say X"?
    The senior executive that I reported to would make an implication. His operations guy would then meet with me on the side and press me hard, trying to convince me of his methods. I advised him that my models were based on purchase orders that had been committed to. Anything one unit above or below that number is fraud and I am unwilling to commit fraud. On at least one occasion they sent their "projections" to head office instead of mine, this was in an effort to conceal declining demand and secure more budget. The manufacturing team ordered parts based on those projections and we had to write off millions of dollars. This was all part of the company culture - conceal poor results and ignore reality to get through the next quarter. I started raising alarm bells in 2010. I warned that if this behavior continues and we don't refresh our product portfolio to become more relevant, the whole company would come crashing down. I raised this in every senior-level meeting for the next two years and finally quit when I realized the people running the company were self-interested and not wise or brave enough to make a short-term sacrifice for long-term benefit. One of the many reasons that I left.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by francesco.decaro View Post
    The value of the resources necessary to solve said problems plus the market value of the rewarded coin, as well as the intrinsic value of Bitcoin, which could be different based on personal preference given Bitcoin's many advantegous feautures when compared to fiat money (privacy, semi-anonimosity, verifiable, decentralized, deflationary and so on).
    My question is: what precisely is the intrinsic value of Bitcoin? You are dancing around the question without answering it. If the math problems that have to get solved to "mine" Bitcoin are not useful in and of themselves in the greater economy, then this is all bullshit and you guys are just playing an elaborate and expensive game.