starting strength gym
Page 2364 of 3004 FirstFirst ... 13641864226423142354236223632364236523662374241424642864 ... LastLast
Results 23,631 to 23,640 of 30039

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Subby View Post
    Good, bring back stuffing money in your mattress instead of a bank.
    The Russians call this банка России (banka Rossii), a play on words speaking to the fact that a jar (banka) is a safer place to put your cash than a bank. And when the 2008 crisis hit, yeah, Russians were withdrawing cash in hordes and buying as many durable goods as possible, like appliances. Experience is probably a more faithful lover than theory.

And hopefully Francesco is following along; you don't need Bitcoin to evade the tracking of the jackbooted the thugs when you've already got cash. But for everyone else listening in, note, as Jenni and others have mentioned, that you need to become an entrepreneur with significant non-W2 income for all of this to work. As long as your paycheck filters through the grubby, DIE-worshipping hands of the government first, in the form of W2 income, yeah, you're probably a dressed-up tax serf getting hit up for protection money every two weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Jackson View Post
    In Russia in 2001 and even as recently as '06, the cops were known as people you AVOIDED, lest you get hit up for bribes or other various blackmail due to your violations of teh LaW. I was incredulous then to think that a policeman was NOT someone you walked up to politely asking for directions, as a tourist would in a 2000's commercial for Times Square. But as seems to be happening more recently lately, the joke was again on me, and the Russkies were somehow ahead of the curve: cops should in the majority of cases be AVOIDED at all costs.

Quote Originally Posted by David A. Rowe View Post
    I'm happy to see the headspace in the zeitgeist that Desantis, Musk et al. are creating.
    Desantis is the system-created opposition to Trump. He might be a good guy, but this is his role and purpose. Fuck Desantis.

Nice sunny September day up north here on Lake Michigan; 83 degrees, a little breezy. We went down to the swimming hole where one of the rivers flows into the big lake; sugar sand beach, turquoise water, surrounded by tall oak trees. It's really quite beautiful.

This beach has roughly 2000 feet of shoreline on 100 acres of park area. There were only a few families there, maybe 20 people on the entire beach.

Sure enough, I see two people walking near the shoreline, no one else within a 100 yards, wearing masks. Un-fucking-believable. Fortunately, tourist season is winding down for now...

Oh, here's a JP clip too:

When Yoga People Become Conservative - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Do they really not understand how this looks, or do they not care about anything other than getting icky brown people out of the neighborhood?
    When do Texas and Florida get to activate the National Guard to deal with the "migrants" like Massachusetts?

Quote Originally Posted by Jovan Dragisic View Post
    Desantis is the system-created opposition to Trump. He might be a good guy, but this is his role and purpose. Fuck Desantis.
    We don't really have that option right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Jovan Dragisic View Post
    I go back and forth on this. I understand the argument and I see the evidence: DeSantis is relatively well-liked among the "Georgetown cocktail party" set, the Romney voters, etc. Just based on the media and establishment figures who have voiced support, it's a strong case for "controlled opposition candidate." Whereas Trump was and is so violently rejected at every level of the establishment and polite society he's clearly sui generis and catches flak because he's over the target.

BUT, there's the issue of COVID. If you subscribe to the idea that our disastrous COVID response was at some level coordinated and intentional, orchestrated by a shadowy cabal pulling the strings of elected officials, DeSantis's behavior on the issue doesn't seem like a puppet's. The cheap culture war battles in Martha's Vineyard and against Disney can be cast as kabuki theater on the part of controlled opposition which are good for clicks but never really a threat to established powers, but he showed immense political courage in opposing lockdowns, mask mandates, etc. in his state. Even in contrast to Trump who allowed lockdowns and has been one of the most enthusiastic salesmen for the "vaccines" in the public eye.

What if we elect DeSantis and the US continues its decline into the dustbin of history? What if we elect Trump and we get more lockdowns, vaccines, and CBDCs? It's a tough choice and I'm not confident to choose one way or the other right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Laureys View Post
    The Russians call this банка России (banka Rossii), a play on words speaking to the fact that a jar (banka) is a safer place to put your cash than a bank. And when the 2008 crisis hit, yeah, Russians were withdrawing cash in hordes and buying as many durable goods as possible, like appliances. Experience is probably a more faithful lover than theory.

And hopefully Francesco is following along; you don't need Bitcoin to evade the tracking of the jackbooted the thugs when you've already got cash. But for everyone else listening in, note, as Jenni and others have mentioned, that you need to become an entrepreneur with significant non-W2 income for all of this to work. As long as your paycheck filters through the grubby, DIE-worshipping hands of the government first, in the form of W2 income, yeah, you're probably a dressed-up tax serf getting hit up for protection money every two weeks.

In Russia in 2001 and even as recently as '06, the cops were known as people you AVOIDED, lest you get hit up for bribes or other various blackmail due to your violations of teh LaW. I was incredulous then to think that a policeman was NOT someone you walked up to politely asking for directions, as a tourist would in a 2000's commercial for Times Square. But as seems to be happening more recently lately, the joke was again on me, and the Russkies were somehow ahead of the curve: cops should in the majority of cases be AVOIDED at all costs.
    How does putting fiat cash under your matress save you from inflation? Or theft? What if your government decides to print a new type of paper and decides that's what you have to use now, making your cash worthless? Or simply decides that 50s are not legal anymore?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    We don't really have that option right now.
    True, I can afford to be more radical since we're not choosing my president. I will continue to be radical though.