starting strength gym
Page 2474 of 3004 FirstFirst ... 14741974237424242464247224732474247524762484252425742974 ... LastLast
Results 24,731 to 24,740 of 30035

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Virginia restaurant that defied COVID orders subject to search and seizure by ABC
    Thread by @angelanashtn on Thread Reader App – Thread Reader App

Pure contempt!
    https://twitter.com/wef/status/81386..._o6432fkg&s=19

Quote Originally Posted by Subby View Post
    Obviously the solution is to stop accepting ballots after election day. Mail in ballots must be delivered by election day.
    The obvious solution is paper ballots only on election day, after verified identification within your precinct of residence. Everybody knows this already, and it will never happen again.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilead View Post
    Virginia restaurant that defied COVID orders subject to search and seizure by ABC
    Look at Billy Badass in the flat hat. Why is there never a shortage of government thugs?

Our Present Dark Age, Part 1 | Steve Patterson

Patterson is a philosopher that has come to the conclusion that we are living in the new Dark Ages, defined by most underlying beliefs in disciplines being wrong.
    This is a very important, fascinating subject. I look forward to his future posts, but right now, it seems he’s thinking too loosely.

First, for this kind of work, it’s not enough to identify problems; you also need to propose solutions. For example, it’s very easy to complain about how myopic your doctor is. The challenge is (a) understanding how that happened, and (b) figuring out a better way to be a doctor.

Rip is someone who successfully figured out how to reconfigure the division of labor in his industry, advocating for vertical rather than horizontal integration. He tells you what platform to stand on, what shoes to wear, the precise configuration of your joint angles in relation to the load - but achieves economy in exercise selection. This is challenging domain-specific work. It seems far more likely that Patterson has convinced himself of superficial connections between exercise science and set theory, rather than simultaneously resolving the problems in both.

Second, there is currently a massive amount of legitimate, exciting innovation being driven by smart, honest, well-funded, mainstream scientists. Way more than the research output of prior "ages." It doesn’t seem like he’s going to correctly distinguish this from all the junk:
    Despite the ubiquity of our dark age, there have been bright spots. The progress of engineers cannot be denied, though it’s a mistake to conflate the progress of scientists with the progress of engineers. There have been high-quality dissenters.
    I know, his post is just an introduction. When he eventually digs into more specifics, the litmus test will be: is this practical and constructive, or merely cathartic and entertaining?

I am (slowly) working on a more targeted critique of methodology in healthcare, along with proposed solutions.

Separate topic but given the wide breadth of knowledge and experience on this forum, there might be an answer to this topic:

Our Present Dark Age, Part 1 | Steve Patterson

Patterson is a philosopher that has come to the conclusion that we are living in the new Dark Ages, defined by most underlying beliefs in disciplines being wrong.
    It is a provocative and important article. The observation on academia especially. His understanding of the Copenhagen Interpretation is completely wrong however. Which isn’t to say the Copenhagen is correct but it can’t be thrown out by philosophy (although Einstein wanted to). Quantum mechanics had been successful in predicting experiments to a precision acquired in no other topic. By a lot.

Brazil is still interesting:

Brazil Military Kills “Red Command” Cartel Leaders, Prepares Take Over

In an unusual step for the military, the Army has invaded favelas of Rio de Janeiro and killed top leaders of the Comando Vermelho (Red Command) drug cartel, which supports the Communist criminal Luiz In¡cio Lula da Silva. Observers take this to indicate the beginning of a federal military intervention. The drug gangs were the only ones to celebrate the alleged election victory by criminal Lula Oct. 30, firing automatic weapons in the air in the favelas. President Bolsonaro cracked down hard on the Brazilian drug gangs.
    The Brazilian military's upper brass might be less cowardly and corrupt than our own. Let that sink in.

BeachMilk on Gab: 'Without cops ‘blindly following orders’ we would …' - Gab Social

This guy kept his cool and absolutely humiliated these pigs. He set a great example for how to deal with the cowards.

I despise these types of cops more than the aggressively abusive ones. These guys have illusions of being responsible members of society, when in fact they are destroying it. Shameful.

Supporting mail in ballots would be the same as the Aussie attitude of allowing their people to be trampled on, but only if it sounds like a good, neutral compromise method of trampling.
    She won't be right, mate.

Here is a solution the founders of our country proposed that would have fixed several of our current problems:
    The case of the missing 13th amendment to the Constitution | Constitution Center
    No lawyers allowed to be politicians, which means no Desantis.
    No foreign titles, favors or dual citizenship.
    No foreign money from Soros etc buying our politicians.

Don't notice the connections:
    A Grand Unified Theory of the FTX Disaster
    Bankman not only has avoided being arrested, he still has many of his friends in the media defending him.

Only a fascist would attempt to impose free speech on humanity.
    https://twitter.com/backtolife_2023/...22235684069376

Quote Originally Posted by Shiva Kaul View Post
    This is a very important, fascinating subject. I look forward to his future posts, but right now, it seems he’s thinking too loosely.

First, for this kind of work, it’s not enough to identify problems; you also need to propose solutions. For example, it’s very easy to complain about how myopic your doctor is. The challenge is (a) understanding how that happened, and (b) figuring out a better way to be a doctor.

Rip is someone who successfully figured out how to reconfigure the division of labor in his industry, advocating for vertical rather than horizontal integration. He tells you what platform to stand on, what shoes to wear, the precise configuration of your joint angles in relation to the load - but achieves economy in exercise selection. This is challenging domain-specific work. It seems far more likely that Patterson has convinced himself of superficial connections between exercise science and set theory, rather than simultaneously resolving the problems in both.

Second, there is currently a massive amount of legitimate, exciting innovation being driven by smart, honest, well-funded, mainstream scientists. Way more than the research output of prior "ages." It doesn’t seem like he’s going to correctly distinguish this from all the junk:

I know, his post is just an introduction. When he eventually digs into more specifics, the litmus test will be: is this practical and constructive, or merely cathartic and entertaining?

I am (slowly) working on a more targeted critique of methodology in healthcare, along with proposed solutions.
    Identifying the problem is the first step, and I’m not sure you can solve it as it appears that a majority of Humanity is a “follower” and genius is rarely found in this segment.

Re the amount of legitimate innovation, is this a higher % of research then other ages? Or is it merely a result of more junk science being done overall? Because yes more is objectively better, but it’s not an improvement in efficiency.
    “I look forward to his future posts, but right now, it seems he’s thinking too loosely.”
    I’m not sure I understand how one would think any other way in identifying a problem like this, by definition it’s a “loose” thinking issue.
    “Rip is someone who successfully figured out how to reconfigure the division of labor in his industry, advocating for vertical rather than horizontal integration.”
    I disagree somewhat, Rip is successful because Starting Strength works. There’s no shortage of fitness talking heads that will tell you why blue shoes are better then red. The vertical integration applies to the knowledge behind why things are done as they are, all the way down to the first principles. No-one else has done this, and those that have come close have to be wrong for the sake of differentiation.
    I’ve probably misunderstood your post but I don’t see what Rip and SS has to do with the division of labour in the fitness industry. A SS coach stands there and watches you, while a personal trainer at a globo gym does the same. The labour is the same, but the output is not.

Look forward to the critique of methodology in healthcare.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Charles View Post
    It is a provocative and important article. The observation on academia especially. His understanding of the Copenhagen Interpretation is completely wrong however. Which isn’t to say the Copenhagen is correct but it can’t be thrown out by philosophy (although Einstein wanted to). Quantum mechanics had been successful in predicting experiments to a precision acquired in no other topic. By a lot.
    What is the Copenhagen interpretation? Can it be summarised?

Quote Originally Posted by anticausal View Post
    This guy kept his cool and absolutely humiliated these pigs.
    I doubt many of them care in the least. Or are even intelligent enough to process it. Their little ego self protection program comes in and they rationalize, "that doesn't apply to me. I'm different." They're just as useless as the average citizen.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilead View Post
    As well as this.
    Whistleblowers’ Reports Reveal Double Standard in Pursuit of Politically Charged Investigations by Senior FBI, DOJ Officials

The purge of "good cops/soldiers" is well underway.

If you still believe in the "thin blue line" I'm afraid you just might be dense enough that people will look at you as radiation shielding.

starting strength coach development program

What is the Copenhagen interpretation? Can it be summarised?
    The simplest explanation I can give is that it is a divide in physics theory where one side (those that subscribe to the Copenhagen interpretation) think that the probabilities and uncertainty in quantum mechanics is the best we can do because that is how nature works. That the state of quantum thing is all possible states until observed. The other side thinks ultimately there is a more deterministic (cause and effect) theory that has yet to be discovered. The state is the state independent of observation.

Both sides agree that experimental work, like two slit wave/particle demonstrations or quantum entanglement are real and very accurately predicted. They just disagree on foundational theory.

Also, the Copenhagen Interpretation is not just one thing, there are many variants and very healthy debate.