starting strength gym
Page 2544 of 2996 FirstFirst ... 1544204424442494253425422543254425452546255425942644 ... LastLast
Results 25,431 to 25,440 of 29954

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Can I go to Subway and pay for my sandwich with Bitcoin? Why not?
    Because BitCoin might remind their customers of formerly fat Jared and his child sex trafficking?

Quote Originally Posted by Jovan Dragisic View Post
    ...At least ten years. They need to form committees which need to form working groups, papers need to be written and presented at Commission level, the Commission needs to scrap the ideas, then you get another committee and several more working groups…
    The mighty EU, superpower by strength of regulation!
    Sounds like BTC should be safe in the EU for now.

CBDC vs BTC in Nigeria:
    Bitcoin Premium Hits 60% In Nigeria As Country Limits ATM Cash Withdrawals | ZeroHedge

Considering the US would be footing much of the bill here...:
    Netanyahu Regime Offers African Migrants $3,500 to Leave Israel | ZeroHedge
    In return, can't Bibi at least loudly proclaim the right for other nations to do the same?

Quote Originally Posted by anticausal View Post
    That is a damn good question. What's the angle here? I notice that the word "ivermectin" does not appear in the piece.

Quote Originally Posted by francesco.decaro View Post
    Which is why government acceptance is not the best case scenario for Bitcoin. The best case would be the end of centralized government and banks and a libertarian society and economy.
    We may be on the verge of one of the few chances of actually getting this soon. If you look at the demographics we're about to have a sea change in the economy forced by those changing demographics. Chaos brews opportunity.

All this argument boils down to we're all looking to keep our shit and not have it confiscated by lazy ass politicians. But inevitably concentrated wealth is vulnerable wealth. Wealth on paper is vulnerable. Even those in Bitcoin should stay liquid.
    I keep reading about Bitcoin because I'm not against the idea. I just don't believe it's particularly safe. Property, accounts can be confiscated- agreed. Bitcoin has no established value. If all I have is a kilo of coke I can work with that. Coke=guns= whatever else I need. If all I have is a Bitcoin, where am I sleeping that night? How does one remain off grid and still use the thing?

Quote Originally Posted by CommanderFun View Post
    Really they just need to hit the bottlenecks where bitcoins are turned into USD and bitcoin will basically be the same as the previously mentioned bag of coke. Maybe worth a good amount of money, but you have to have the right connections to make it into money, and both holding onto it AND making that transaction now have considerable risk associated with them.
    Maybe we ought to be working on those connections. If we think a thing might be sent underground maybe preparing the underground railroad is the best idea. Make it hard and costly to enforce.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    That is a damn good question. What's the angle here? I notice that the word "ivermectin" does not appear in the piece.
    They sense their impending doom. If we Western, libertarian, red pill (insert chosen identifier here) types win the war they chose to start they are looking at a serious fall in power and status. It's not that we're anti science but we would just never put science above an inherent right to liberty. That's a paradigm that offers them no power. If we're about to have some really hard times thanks to all this shit converging .... what's that quote? What is it hard times make? That whole article could have been once sentence: "We fucked around and now we're scared we're gonna find out."

I think there’s something important in his reference to conspiracies and scientific contortionists. We are still the unwashed, and they must still retain power.

Burnt earth is the only way forward. People like the author can never be trusted again. I sense desperation. Some off-CONUS assignment should be the most he can hope for.

In other news Jim Banks’s newsletter tells me that they’re getting authorization to send military to the border to fight the cartels. They need to be careful in the justification. I hope they posed the problem as a “strategic front” and not like an EUA.

Biden administration plans to end Covid public health emergency on May 11

On May 11th I will feel so much better.

Come on May 11th!

I guess I should print multiple copies so I can hand it out to the people still wearing masks.

Do you exchange your dollars for yen? Or do you exchange them for goods and services?
    Both, I guess, if I were traveling to the right country. But there aren't exactly a ton of places that accept bitcoin. And if the government makes the possession and trading of bitcoin illegal, there will be even fewer. It's already been brought up, but we are talking about an entity that once outlawed people owning physical gold. If bitcoin becomes contraband, it's not going to function as an alternative to the nation's currency unless a lot of people are basically willing to setup secretive underworld economies that use it, and forego the dollar entirely. Not likely to happen unless they take the inflation of the dollar to Weimar Republic levels.

Just a thought, if you want to keep gold and silver, numismatic is probably safer than bullion. Numismatic was exempt from the 1933 gold confiscation for the same reasons jewelry was. So, pre 1933 US gold coins and pre 1965 US silver coins, which often sell for a lower premium than bullion, might be a good choice. Also, no taxes on buying/trading gold or silver in most states.

And yes, get out of the big banks too, and quickly.

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks for that, although you should criticize the Bitcoin FAQ web page.
    Absolutely, I find most descriptions of how bitcoin work are terrible and raise more questions than they answer. One of the reasons I suspect that it hasn’t had a wider adoption, anyone who knows how it works, cant/wont explain it.

Anyway, how would we get to a scenario where we need to divide bitcoins in more than 100,000,000 parts (satoshis)?
    You know, considering no one would want to create inflation to fund things like "a war with Russia" or pointless "recovery funds".
    Same way fiat currency got here. Voters voting for things that they don’t want to pay for.

Is Bitcoin a fiat currency simply because it's not a physical commodity? Because in any other way, it is not a fiat currency, since it's not issued by a government or a bank. You can say it's a fiat currency in El Salvador, since they made it a legal tender, but it's still very different from the fiat money we use, because it's not ISSUED by El Salvador's central bank, they simply agreed to use it.
    This seems more like a semantics problem than an actual issue about its value.
    A fiat currency is one that can be created at will. It is not tied to anything physical. Bitcoin is that.

Yeah I agree, I don't think gold is going anywhere anytime soon. It's been used as a currency for centuries for a reason, BUT it has stopped being used also for good reasons, no?
    The beauty of Bitcoin is that banks and governments can put on a fight, but they cannot attack it directly, whereas on the other side, Bitcoin doesn't need to attack anyone, it just needs to be. People could be their own banks, I can see how this could piss off a lot of powerful people. Shit, they might start nuking to prevent it from happening, if they're stupid enough. Or more likely, they will try to join the club
    One of the main weaknesses gold has, is that if you buy enough of it you can raise the value of all gold, thus increasing the value of your own holdings.
    Currency, and gold, can be manipulated if it’s variables are fixed. I believe George Soros did something like this with the British pound and is where he made most of his wealth.
    Bitcoin is a fixed currency, therefore it can be manipulated.
    Face it, Bitcoin is not a magical libertarian panacea to the world’s problems.