starting strength gym
Page 2545 of 2996 FirstFirst ... 1545204524452495253525432544254525462547255525952645 ... LastLast
Results 25,441 to 25,450 of 29954

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

Quote Originally Posted by Subby View Post
    Currency, and gold, can be manipulated if it’s variables are fixed. I believe George Soros did something like this with the British pound and is where he made most of his wealth.
    Not really, he basically just exploited weaknesses that the Bank of England imposed on itself while trying to go against the wishes of the electorate and forcefully include the pound in the Exchange Rate Mechanism. The authoritative read on this IMO is Bernard Connolly, The Rotten Heart of Europe. The book explains all the shenanigans there.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Triple meat/triple cheese Subway Club. Skinny the bread, toast it twice.
    I went once in Manchester, UK and the food was horrible. Most things are barely edible in the UK it seems. I guess it's much better in the US

Absolutely, I find most descriptions of how bitcoin work are terrible and raise more questions than they answer. One of the reasons I suspect that it hasn’t had a wider adoption, anyone who knows how it works, cant/wont explain it.

Same way fiat currency got here. Voters voting for things that they don’t want to pay for.

A fiat currency is one that can be created at will. It is not tied to anything physical. Bitcoin is that.

One of the main weaknesses gold has, is that if you buy enough of it you can raise the value of all gold, thus increasing the value of your own holdings.
    Currency, and gold, can be manipulated if it’s variables are fixed. I believe George Soros did something like this with the British pound and is where he made most of his wealth.
    Bitcoin is a fixed currency, therefore it can be manipulated.
    Face it, Bitcoin is not a magical libertarian panacea to the world’s problems.
    You're right, I just said it's the best option, not unfallible, since we are humans after all. People thought the Pound was a stable predictable currency, and then one jack-off made it crash in a few weeks. And this has happened with Bitcoin too, but mostly because the volume of exchange is still much smaller than that of fiat. Plus, the government can fuck many things up and make their own currency less valuable so that people WANT to sell it That is usually not the case with people that believe bitcoins are valuable, even when the price drops. Much easier to trust mathematics than obviously corrupt people. Much like Starting Strength vs fitness gurus.

Kudos to Subby for the clear explaination.
    And for pointing out that Bitcoin is deflationary.

I would like to focus on this bit:

They receive payment by “tips” to push your checking to the front of the queue, as well as mathematically having a chance to create a new bitcoin for themselves. I don’t know how this maths works but apparently it does.
    So, Bitcoins are created as a byproduct of the transaction verification process.
    Also, by design, there is only a limited number of Bitcoins that can be created.
    What happens after the last Bitcoin has been mined?
    I mean, once all Bitcoins are created, there is no incentive left to do the clerking work to verify a block of transactions, apart from the small 'tips' Subby mentions.
    Which, imho, means that either transactions stop being verified, of the tips required to get your transaction approved will become very substantial.

I wonder if anyone can shed some light on this.
    Thanks in advance.

IPB

Couldn’t an adversary control bitcoin with a 51% attack?

Garbage in Garbage out. Even with a rigged system.
    if you don't like the data, stop reporting it? ONS edition

Quote Originally Posted by francesco.decaro View Post
    That is usually not the case with people that believe bitcoins are valuable, even when the price drops. Much easier to trust mathematics than obviously corrupt people. Much like Starting Strength vs fitness gurus.
    Such a carefully crafted argument. Bitcoin is Math, like SS. Hard to disagree without looking like an idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by VNV View Post
    Couldn’t an adversary control bitcoin with a 51% attack?
    Can you name one adversary that can? Again, it's been around for 13 years, never happened. And if it did, its intrinsic value would go to zero because people would realize and stop caring about it.
    But whoever created Bitcoin seems to have figured out how to secure it from this type of attack

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Such a carefully crafted argument. Bitcoin is Math, like SS. Hard to disagree without looking like an idiot.
    Sorry about that, I didn't mean to corner you like this, it's just a comparison that makes sense in my head, since I see Bitcoin as a no bullshit approach to the issue of money, same way I see Starting Strength compared to all the fitness bullshit out there. And they just both happen to have mathematics in common, as well as other hard sciences behind SS, which makes it easy to trust. I don't trust SS just because you say it works. I actually did it and it works, plus the scientific explanation you give is pretty much undeniable. So your program, like Bitcoin, is trustless, on a fundamental level, because it is based on empirical evidence and trial and error. Many times before Bitcoin was created there have been attempts at making something like it. What Satoshi Nakamoto did was elegantly put it all together and solve problems based on previous data and hard science. Sounds similar to what you did in my opinion.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by francesco.decaro View Post
    Can you name one adversary that can? Again, it's been around for 13 years, never happened. And if it did, its intrinsic value would go to zero because people would realize and stop caring about it.
    But whoever created Bitcoin seems to have figured out how to secure it from this type of attack
    I guess the CCP, if they cared to? If everyone depended on it, it would be difficult to stop caring about it.

I thought this was its fundamental vulnerability identified in Satoshi’s original paper.