starting strength gym
Page 2571 of 3004 FirstFirst ... 1571207124712521256125692570257125722573258126212671 ... LastLast
Results 25,701 to 25,710 of 30035

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitsuma View Post
    To quote one of my friends after he asked it to rewrite his complex, threaded Python function as non-threaded: "I think we just met our first AI."
    Basically no Python code is explicitly multithreaded. Was your friend actually able to verify that the answer was correct?

Rip has remarked that he corrects his opinions in the process of writing and lecturing about them. What happens to your ability to correct an answer if you don’t attempt to generate it?

Northeast blackout of 2003 - Wikipedia

There was no cell phone connection, no landlines, no electricity, no banks, no gasoline, no grocery stores, and gridlock on the highways from cars running out of gas. It lasted 4 days where I was at and it was a big wake up call for me. The old Jeep Rubicon got me home on the trails where the power lines run since the highway wasn't an option. Got home almost out of gas with no idea how far spread the outage was.

Quote Originally Posted by mkm5 View Post
    Northeast blackout of 2003 - Wikipedia

There was no cell phone connection, no landlines, no electricity, no banks, no gasoline, no grocery stores, and gridlock on the highways from cars running out of gas. It lasted 4 days where I was at and it was a big wake up call for me. The old Jeep Rubicon got me home on the trails where the power lines run since the highway wasn't an option. Got home almost out of gas with no idea how far spread the outage was.
    FirstEnergy - Wikipedia
    Ohio nuclear bribery scandal - Wikipedia

And the same people that caused it are still in charge

Quote Originally Posted by Shiva Kaul View Post
    Rip has remarked that he corrects his opinions in the process of writing and lecturing about them. What happens to your ability to correct an answer if you don’t attempt to generate it?
    Idiocracy? I think that's part of the point in my first post. I benefited from 40 years of generating code on my own. What about the new generations who use this thing like a calculator or a GPS device?

Quote Originally Posted by anticausal View Post
    Because maybe things can change. If I thought the worst possible outcomes were without a doubt inevitable, I wouldn't even talk about it. What's the point? People need to wake the fuck up and stop thinking everything's just magically going to be fine. I would muster them to war if I could.
    But that is different. You are still a hopeful idealist, I understand that, I mean the actual pessimists.

Quote Originally Posted by anticausal View Post
    Because maybe things can change. If I thought the worst possible outcomes were without a doubt inevitable, I wouldn't even talk about it. What's the point? People need to wake the fuck up and stop thinking everything's just magically going to be fine. I would muster them to war if I could.
    Why would things change? Who will change them, in the face of people who will gladly kill you if you try? This whole thing has probably been carefully managed for many decades, and is now coming to a head.

Send this to your masker-friends: The Mask Mandates Did Nothing Useful

Quote Originally Posted by Jovan Dragisic View Post
    You are a pretty normal guy for an extreme pessimist, so maybe you can answer this for me - what kind of kick do you guys get out of spending all this time imagining the worst possible outcomes? It's gotta be something.
    Pessimism implies a sense of helplessness or defeatism; Realism implies active measures to strategically evaluate and prepare for likely scenarios.
    The prize is in the fight.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Why would things change? Who will change them, in the face of people who will gladly kill you if you try? This whole thing has probably been carefully managed for many decades, and is now coming to a head.
    I was too vague with the word "change". I certainly didn't mean political change, but rather change driven by minority force. A 10% minority (even less, but 10% would be insurmountable) with moral certainty can accomplish just about anything simply because most people are passive cattle. The guys in charge of getting us killed are no match for a 10% ultra high morale minority (must include sense of honor and eagerness/willingness to die without being stupid about it). Getting that moral certainty is difficult, but perhaps the collapse of American empire and Clown World culture could cause chaos sufficient for it to happen. Of course, I don't think any of this will be accomplished by doing silly things like converging peacefully on liberal urban centers. It's counter-intuitive, but the vaccine mandates encouraged me. Not many of us resisted, but we still won that battle (yes, the war is still on). Refusing the jab was the most powerful vote any of us have ever cast. That's why they look at us as "terrorists" and a "threat" to their "democracy". From their perspective, we are. We just don't have the collective balls to embrace it yet.

Everything is perception, hypnosis, and influence with Clown World. There is 0% chance we change it from within, but we might be able to change the future once Clown World ends. The sooner the whole circus collapses, the better the chances the American nation will survive in some form. It's one of the reasons I'm generally pro-Putin. I don't know all his angles, but I have some hope he is genuinely trying to smash the Clowns' teeth in. "The enemy of my enemy" and all that.

In brief, Clown World delenda est.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post

Send this to your masker-friends: The Mask Mandates Did Nothing Useful
    It will probably do nothing; you can see this in the comboxes of the NYT article (nytimes.com).

Eugyppius writes it up, where he spotlights the brain-damage:

New York Times readers confront the manifest failure of masks to do anything, cope and seethe

We still have two or more at work who mask continually. One young shorter thin white guy, and another not-old taller thicker black gal.

This has become a massive psychology experiment.

I expect the few who continue to mask will expect to be treated as an oppressed minority, and will receive protected status. It's close to a new victim class.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Jovan Dragisic View Post
    You are a pretty normal guy for an extreme pessimist, so maybe you can answer this for me - what kind of kick do you guys get out of spending all this time imagining the worst possible outcomes? It's gotta be something.
    There's nothing wrong with basic risk management. The risk/reward calculations make it the obvious choice, I would ask why you aren't doing something to prep? What kick do you get out of not being prepared for contingencies? Do you not wear a seatbelt too?