starting strength gym
Page 2574 of 3003 FirstFirst ... 1574207424742524256425722573257425752576258426242674 ... LastLast
Results 25,731 to 25,740 of 30027

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Here's an interesting piece on a version of "mass psychosis".

Dietrich Bonhoeffer's "stupidity": "On Stupidity" - by Peter A. McCullough, MD, MPH™

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Charles View Post
    At the risk of being banned forever, come on Coach, this is a really bad argument.
    It is not an argument. It is an anecdote. I'm not going to argue about seat belts with anybody. If you want to wear your seat belt, wear it. If you want to keep a rabbit's foot in your pocket, do so. If I want to put my seat belt on, I will, and I do sometimes. But sometimes I don't, and I won't argue about that.

Quote Originally Posted by VNV View Post
    Here's an interesting piece on a version of "mass psychosis".

Dietrich Bonhoeffer's "stupidity": "On Stupidity" - by Peter A. McCullough, MD, MPH™
    This is the best piece I've read about this. I hope Dr. McCullough doesn't mind my paste:

In 1943, the Lutheran pastor and member of the German resistance, Dietrich Bonhoeffer, was arrested and incarcerated in Tegel Prison. There he meditated on the question of why the German people—in spite of their vast education, culture, and intellectual achievements—had fallen so far from reason and morality. He concluded that they, as a people, had been afflicted with collective stupidity (German: Dummheit).

He was not being flippant or sarcastic, and he made it clear that stupidity is not the opposite of native intellect. On the contrary, the events in Germany between 1933 and 1943 had shown him that perfectly intelligent people were, under the pressure of political power and propaganda, rendered stupid—that is, incapable of critical reasoning. As he put it:

Stupidity is a more dangerous enemy of the good than wickedness. Evil can be protested against, exposed, and, if necessary, it can be prevented by force. Evil always harbors the germ of self-destruction by inducing at least some uneasiness in people. We are defenseless against stupidity. Nothing can be done to oppose it, neither with protests nor with violence. Reasons cannot prevail. Facts that contradict one's prejudice simply don't need to be believed, and when they are inescapable, they can simply be brushed aside as meaningless, isolated cases.

In contrast to evil, the stupid person is completely satisfied with himself. When irritated, he becomes dangerous and may even go on the attack. More caution is therefore required when dealing with the stupid than with the wicked. Never try to convince the stupid with reasons; it's pointless and dangerous.

To understand how to deal with stupidity, we must try to understand its nature. This much is certain: it is not essentially an intellectual, but a human defect. There are people who are intellectually agile who are stupid, while intellectually inept people may be anything but stupid. We discover this to our surprise in certain situations.

One gets the impression that stupidity is often not an innate defect, but one that emerges under certain circumstances in which people are made stupid or allow themselves to be made stupid. We also observe that isolated and solitary people exhibit this defect less frequently than socializing groups of people. Thus, perhaps stupidity is less a psychological than a sociological problem. It is a special manifestation of the influence of historical circumstances on man—a psychological side effect of certain external conditions.

A closer look reveals that the strong exertion of external power, be it political or religious, strikes a large part of the people with stupidity. Yes, it seems as if this is a sociological-psychological law. The power of some requires the stupidity of others. Under this influence, human abilities suddenly wither or fail, robbing people of their inner independence, which they—more or less unconsciously —renounce to adapt their behavior to the prevailing situation.

The fact that stupid people are often stubborn should not hide the fact that they are not independent. When talking to him, one feels that one is not dealing with him personally, but with catchphrases, slogans, etc. that have taken possession of him. He is under a spell; he is blinded; he is abused in his own being.

Having become an instrument without an independent will, the fool will also be capable of all evil, and at the same time, unable to recognize it as evil. Here lies the danger of diabolical abuse. Through this, a people can be ruined forever.

But it is also quite clear here that it is not an act of instruction, but only an act of liberation that can overcome stupidity. In doing so, one will have to accept the fact that, in most cases, real inner liberation is only possible after outer liberation has taken place. Until then we will have to refrain from all attempts to convince the stupid. In this state of affairs, we try in vain to know what "the people" actually think.”

The Bible states that the fear of God is the beginning of wisdom. Thus, the inner liberation of man begins by living responsibly before God. Only then may stupidity be overcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    It is not an argument. It is an anecdote. I'm not going to argue about seat belts with anybody. If you want to wear your seat belt, wear it. If you want to keep a rabbit's foot in your pocket, do so. If I want to put my seat belt on, I will, and I do sometimes. But sometimes I don't, and I won't argue about that.
    do your cars not beep when you don't put on a seatbelt on?

One or two of them do, for a while. Then they get tired.

Political correctness is communist propaganda writ small. In my study of communist societies, I came to the conclusion that the purpose of communist propaganda was not to persuade or convince, not to inform, but to humiliate; and therefore, the less it corresponded to reality the better. When people are forced to remain silent when they are being told the most obvious lies, or even worse when they are forced to repeat the lies themselves, they lose once and for all their sense of probity. To assent to obvious lies is in some small way to become evil oneself. One's standing to resist anything is thus eroded, and even destroyed. A society of emasculated liars is easy to control. I think if you examine political correctness, it has the same effect and is intended to.”

― Theodore Dalrymple
    Barry Charles has been mistaking the problem for the problem's propaganda.

Quote Originally Posted by Subby View Post
    You remember that these systems are always temporary because they cannot last as they are in opposition to reality, you keep yourself informed and try to place yourself in cracks/avoid major disruptions to you and your family. Like a Rat surviving the storm. Remember it won't last.
    I wonder if anyone north of age 30 in Russia when the soviets came to power took any comfort telling themselves something like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Charles View Post
    At the risk of being banned forever, come on Coach, this is a really bad argument.
    I think his actual "argument" is that "I don't want to" is all the argument he needs. Can't say I really disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by anticausal View Post
    Barry Charles has been mistaking the problem for the problem's propaganda.
    I haven’t. I believe that political correctness was born out of good intention but was riddled with obvious unintended consequences such as “quarantine for all”, and biological men competing in female sports.

Additionally, while many people believe in an organized US vs THEM, I do not.

Look at this thread on Twitter regarding Putin's recent speech. Listen to the clip of the speech. Terribly important question: how many Americans agree with Putin and disagree with "Joe Biden"?

https://twitter.com/CitizenFreePres/...73545056784385

starting strength coach development program
    Obviously this particular message resonates with me. But I must step back. Is this merely expert manipulation? I happen not to think so, but admit I have little insight into this level of discourse.