starting strength gym
Page 2593 of 3004 FirstFirst ... 1593209324932543258325912592259325942595260326432693 ... LastLast
Results 25,921 to 25,930 of 30039

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by CommanderFun View Post
    Our entire economic system is in BAD need of overhauling, and they know it…We can't let politicians get away with just pinpointing issues they can tackle that are things we are worried about, but won't affect the plans of their wealthy benefactors. We need to force them to choose us over them.
    I’m sorry, what?

It's kind of amusing how many things I get from my daily multivitamin apparently protect me from COVID-19, the disease that civilization decimated itself over.

Another excellent piece from the cat man. I too always thought the spanish flu was our last great pandemic. I guess it had more in common with covid-19 than I thought.

the greatest lie told during covid - by el gato malo
    what if embedded in all of this is perhaps one more lie? the greatest lie. the one lie to rule them all

and that lie is this:

pandemics are dangerous to modern societies.
    The LD50 for aspirin for a 180lb human is about 16 grams.

there is actually quite a lot of convincing evidence that many of the “young, healthy deaths” in spanish flu were iatrogenic.

this is a word that’s going to come up a lot and a topic that’s going to be the big field of debate around covid going forward. it’s probably one of the most important scientific questions in the world right now. so let’s define it

loosely put, iatrogenic death is when the doctor kills you. and there is a long and unpleasant history on that one from benjamin rush bleeding george washington to death to killing “witchy” cats to stop a plague carried by the fleas of the very rats they were eating to (and especially) new “wonder drugs” that are poorly understood but that rapidly go into widespread use.

and one of those drugs was aspirin.

aspirin had just come into widespread availability in 1918 (and bayer was rushing it to market for the pandemic). it was the new wowie-zowie drug and doctors (and especially militaries) all over the world fell in love with it. they prescribed it widely to those with spanish flu. in doses ranging from 8 to 31 grams per day. oopsie.
    Something I took for granted as fact an hour ago has just been flipped on its head. Coach is right, if the government says it's raining shit be sure to check outside (just maybe don't look up right away).

it’s the desire to “do something” and “appear active and on top of it” that crashes into a horrifying tendency to crisis profiteer where we suddenly lose our collective minds and run off in wild directions embracing terrible ideas and eschewing those long shown effective that does this.

and that’s how people die. needlessly.

it’s an epidemiological own-goal.

and i simply cannot see any more plausible interpretation here than “we did it in 1918 and we just did it again.”

The entire thing is excellent, worth a read IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Have you seen the media reaction to Tucker's video last night? They really REALLY don't want you to watch it. Watch it.
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Rowe View Post
    The most disappointing thing about the release of the Jan. 6 footage is all of the hobby balloons that are going to have to die to keep people distracted.

To be less sarcastic, an honest question for the board:

How many people do you think will see the J6 footage and have their minds changed at this point?
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Charles View Post
    Same number as cops killed. Zero-point-zero.
    Quote Originally Posted by francesco.decaro View Post
    Most people that used to see it as a domestic invasion of democracy will simply turn to indifference and say they have no opionion about it. And this is the most introspective among them.

People go through hell before admitting something's wrong with them. A few minutes of footage won't change that, because they were never looking for the truth anyways, they were looking for a story to attach their personality and beliefs to that would be coherent with whatever values they feel they have.
    I feel like this thread is just a parody now. Would I also be able to convince you that there was not a riot in Kenosha Wisconsin if I showed selective footage of people just walking about in the street while ignoring the parts where they set things on fire? What if you were to see footage of the 9/11 hijackers boarding the plane, or there was footage of them just walking down the aisle after boarding the plane without directly threatening anyone? Should we ignore the parts of the day where they flew the planes into a few buildings?

Why people hold Tucker Carlson in such high regard is hard to understand. The man flat out admitted during an interview that he lies if he is cornered in an argument.

Tucker Carlson Flat Out Admits: I Lie On My Show - YouTube (start the video at 35 seconds for the interview)

When charged with defamation in court his lawyers literally argued that his statements are should be viewed as rhetorical hyperbole and not to be taken as fact, and he won!

McDougal v. Fox News Network, LLC, No. 1:2019cv11161 - Document 39 (S.D.N.Y. 2020) :: Justia

More recently, Dominion voting has a billion dollar lawsuit against Fox news regarding the false claims made by Fox news regarding election fraud and now his own text messages are being presented in court indicating that himself and fox news as a whole did not actually believe these claims, but the were still making them because it helped their ratings.

After Fox reporter Jacqui Heinrich tweeted a fact-check of one of Trump’s election lies on Nov. 12, Tucker Carlson texted fellow host Sean Hannity, writing: “Please get her fired. Seriously….What the f**k? I’m actually shocked…It needs to stop immediately, like tonight. It’s measurably hurting the company. The stock price is down. Not a joke.” Heinrich deleted her tweet the next day and remains employed at Fox.

Leaked Texts Reveal: Fox News Knew They Were Spreading Lies and Conspiracies About 2020 Election - The Copper Courier

These texts are now literally part of court record
    And recently more texts were discovered where Tucker Carlson was stating how much he hated trump. Keep in mind these texts were prior to January 6th

“We are very, very close to being able to ignore Trump most nights,” Carlson said in a text on 4 January 2021, two days before the riot. “I truly can’t wait.”

He also wrote: “I hate him passionately … What he’s good at is destroying things. He’s the undisputed world champion of that. He could easily destroy us if we play it wrong.”

Tucker Carlson, who ‘passionately hates’ Trump, shows more Capitol footage | Fox News | The Guardian
    So basically the man has flat out admitted to lying when cornered, has been to court arguing that reasonable people should not believe what he is saying because it is all hyperbole, and has shown that he is willing to continue to lie to protect his ratings and not believe anything that he is saying has shown you selectively edited video clips removing the bad parts of what happened and people on here believe him that January 6th was nothing more than a tourist visit? Or all you all now just participating in that now famous Tucker Carlson hyperbole?

Quote Originally Posted by Grobleaugg View Post
    I feel like this thread is just a parody now.
    Then stop posting on it.

Quote Originally Posted by golftdibrad View Post
    Another excellent piece from the cat man. I too always thought the spanish flu was our last great pandemic. I guess it had more in common with covid-19 than I thought.

the greatest lie told during covid - by el gato malo
    The Newsweek piece is very good, and I'm surprised that Newsweek published it. Read it before it's taken down.

The tragic failure of reckless, unprecedented lockdowns that were contrary to established pandemic science, and the added massive harms of those policies on children, the elderly, and lower-income families, are indisputable and well-documented in numerous studies. This was the biggest, the most tragic, and the most unethical breakdown of public health leadership in modern history.

In a democracy, indeed in any ethical and free society, the truth is essential. The American people need to hear the truth—the facts, free from the political distortions, misrepresentations, and censorship. The first step is to clearly state the harsh truth in the starkest possible terms. Lies were told. Those lies harmed the public. Those lies were directly contrary to the evidence, to decades of knowledge on viral pandemics, and to long-established fundamental biology.
    Here are the 10 biggest falsehoods—known for years to be false, not recently learned or proven to be so—promoted by America's public health leaders, elected and unelected officials, and now-discredited academics:

1. SARS-CoV-2 coronavirus has a far higher fatality rate than the flu by several orders of magnitude.

2. Everyone is at significant risk to die from this virus.

3. No one has any immunological protection, because this virus is completely new.

4. Asymptomatic people are major drivers of the spread.

5. Locking down—closing schools and businesses, confining people to their homes, stopping non-COVID medical care, and eliminating travel—will stop or eliminate the virus.

6. Masks will protect everyone and stop the spread.

7. The virus is known to be naturally occurring, and claiming it originated in a lab is a conspiracy theory.

8. Teachers are at especially high risk.

9. COVID vaccines stop the spread of the infection.

10. Immune protection only comes from a vaccine.
    At any rate, the pull quote from the Cat Man the greatest lie told during covid - by el gato malo is:

and that lie is this:

pandemics are dangerous to modern societies.
    He's right. The treatment (LD50+ dosed aspirin) is what killed everybody. The remdesivir (How many people were killed by the use of Remdesivir and Midazolam + Morphine in the US and UK?) of 1918. Read it. One of the more important pieces we've linked.

I feel like this thread is just a parody now. Would I also be able to convince you that there was not a riot in Kenosha Wisconsin if I showed selective footage of people just walking about in the street while ignoring the parts where they set things on fire? What if you were to see footage of the 9/11 hijackers boarding the plane, or there was footage of them just walking down the aisle after boarding the plane without directly threatening anyone? Should we ignore the parts of the day where they flew the planes into a few buildings?

Why people hold Tucker Carlson in such high regard is hard to understand. The man flat out admitted during an interview that he lies if he is cornered in an argument.

Tucker Carlson Flat Out Admits: I Lie On My Show - YouTube (start the video at 35 seconds for the interview)

When charged with defamation in court his lawyers literally argued that his statements are should be viewed as rhetorical hyperbole and not to be taken as fact, and he won!

McDougal v. Fox News Network, LLC, No. 1:2019cv11161 - Document 39 (S.D.N.Y. 2020) :: Justia

More recently, Dominion voting has a billion dollar lawsuit against Fox news regarding the false claims made by Fox news regarding election fraud and now his own text messages are being presented in court indicating that himself and fox news as a whole did not actually believe these claims, but the were still making them because it helped their ratings.

And recently more texts were discovered where Tucker Carlson was stating how much he hated trump. Keep in mind these texts were prior to January 6th

So basically the man has flat out admitted to lying when cornered, has been to court arguing that reasonable people should not believe what he is saying because it is all hyperbole, and has shown that he is willing to continue to lie to protect his ratings and not believe anything that he is saying has shown you selectively edited video clips removing the bad parts of what happened and people on here believe him that January 6th was nothing more than a tourist visit? Or all you all now just participating in that now famous Tucker Carlson hyperbole?
    You care too much about Tucker and His People. Thank you.

This evokes the aphorism: “All models are wrong, but some are useful.” I find his show much more useful than most (all?) other news channels. (I can’t stomach the clucking emotiveness and soft hues of the others, but that’s me.)

Further, Tucker et. al. want all of the video footage posted for public consumption, and said as much clearly in the outtakes. I see no objection from him to people drawing their own conclusions from raw footage. Contrast this with the J6 coverage from other channels to date, where you get a refined narrative.

In court, the NYT regularly describes its news articles, written by its news staff outside of its opinion section, as “unverifiable expressions of opinion.”

Have you ever lied?

Quote Originally Posted by VNV View Post
    You care too much about Tucker and His People. Thank you.

This evokes the aphorism: “All models are wrong, but some are useful.” I find his show much more useful than most (all?) other news channels. (I can’t stomach the clucking emotiveness and soft hues of the others, but that’s me.)

Further, Tucker et. al. want all of the video footage posted for public consumption, and said as much clearly in the outtakes. I see no objection from him to people drawing their own conclusions from raw footage. Contrast this with the J6 coverage from other channels to date, where you get a refined narrative.
    Honestly, I don't pay him any attention. The reason I don't care is because I am aware of everything that I posted previously. I am not outraged by him, I just roll my eyes. Tucker et al are attempting to create another alternate narrative. I would expect that there would be a lot of video footage that did not show people being violent inside the Capitol. I would also expect that you could find lots of video of people walking about during the Kenosha riots as well who were not being violent. Does that mean the riots didn't actually happen? To ignore those bits would be refining the narrative, would it not?

Quote Originally Posted by Shiva Kaul View Post
    In court, the NYT regularly describes its news articles, written by its news staff outside of its opinion section, as “unverifiable expressions of opinion.”
    This is still a confusing argument. At best he would be exactly the same as every other news source (who you also distrust). At worst, he is someone who says one thing on the air, but believes the exact opposite in his personal life (as evidenced by his text messages). To me it seems like he is playing you for a fool and telling you exactly what you want to hear for ratings.

starting strength coach development program

This is still a confusing argument. At best he would be exactly the same as every other news source (who you also distrust). At worst, he is someone who says one thing on the air, but believes the exact opposite in his personal life (as evidenced by his text messages). To me it seems like he is playing you for a fool and telling you exactly what you want to hear for ratings.
    You do understand that media exists to sell media and no other reason? You need to make your peace with that first. Then, do you have any first hand information on any of the topics you write about? That would be interesting, please share. We all have contributed here and there. Otherwise get used to starting your arguments with “in my opinion”.