starting strength gym
Page 2601 of 3003 FirstFirst ... 1601210125012551259125992600260126022603261126512701 ... LastLast
Results 26,001 to 26,010 of 30027

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Grobleaugg View Post
    I thought I already did, but allow me to be more succinct. From a brief google search 82% of research is government funded, 11% is funded through the private sector and the remaining percentage is from other sources.

Are Federal and Private Research Funding Substitutes? | NBER).

If you remove the 82% of government funding those costs would need to be picked up by the private sector. The private sector would have to pass the cost of doing the research onto the consumer if they want to make a profit, which would in turn increase the prices of what they are selling. In the example I have been using, your drugs would cost more. It would also be unlikely that new drugs would be developed because why would they risk their money into developing ideas that wont have a return on investment until many years down the road, if at all?

Look how much medications cost now? Now imagine if private companies had to fund the bulk of the research themselves. Do you see the costs going down? Keep in mind that the above scenario also does not account for the open sourced nature of how science is currently conducted and published. If private companies did the research themselves, it is less likely that the data would be shared effectively decreasing competition.
    Wow, this really doesn't resonate with the real world

Quote Originally Posted by Jovan Dragisic View Post
    I was really just playing a poor devil's advocate here, but I can try. The medical science and industry is a public private cartel. You have what is supposed to be private companies running the thing, but in reality they are tightly bound with government. So getting money from Pfizer, Sanofi or Glaxo Smith Kline is not that much different from getting paid by the government directly. This can take on many forms, depending on the minutiae of a given healthcare system, but as a whole, we are dealing with a cartel. A cartel is akin to any other kind of government structure, you get bureaucratic petrification, which is hard to escape. Given that this particular cartel is spending about a quarter of global GDP, a number which will probably double pretty soon, it is not reasonable to expect that too many scientists will break out. Plus, the media is part of the cartel, so good luck trying to get something past all the gatekeepers.
    We've had regulatory capture as a problem for a while now. Military brass in charge of handing out military contracts to private companies end up retiring to cushy jobs at those companies. SEC financial regulators end up working cushy jobs at the same firms they were regulating. FDA regulators end up working cushy jobs with the food and drug companies they were regulating. But pharma has gotten especially bad, for a myriad of reasons. "Operation Warp Speed" also took what was already a juggernaut with a disproportionate share of the economy and blew it up much further.

I thought I already did, but allow me to be more succinct. From a brief google search 82% of research is government funded, 11% is funded through the private sector and the remaining percentage is from other sources.

If you remove the 82% of government funding those costs would need to be picked up by the private sector.
    What percentage of this 82% is actually productive research? You don't really know much about how things actually work.

Quote Originally Posted by CommanderFun View Post
    We've had regulatory capture as a problem for a while now. Military brass in charge of handing out military contracts to private companies end up retiring to cushy jobs at those companies. SEC financial regulators end up working cushy jobs at the same firms they were regulating. FDA regulators end up working cushy jobs with the food and drug companies they were regulating. But pharma has gotten especially bad, for a myriad of reasons. "Operation Warp Speed" also took what was already a juggernaut with a disproportionate share of the economy and blew it up much further.
    I think I’ve said this a few times but major fucking dittos for sure!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    What percentage of this 82% is actually productive research? You don't really know much about how things actually work.
    Then please explain how things actually work. Also, what percentage is nonproductive research and what classifies research being nonproductive? I am willing to bet that the majority of it is research you don't understand. I remember when members of congress were grandstanding on the same points I believe you are inferring. Then those scientists whose work they were questioning showed up to congress to testify about the importance of their research. Unfortunately I cant find the video at the moment but those lawmakers looked pretty stupid at the end of it and many actually changed their views (which is not something that happens often).

But if you dont feel like addressing those points, please provide a single scientific advancement in any field where the basis of the knowledge used was funded exclusively from a private company.

Then please explain how things actually work. Also, what percentage is nonproductive research and what classifies research being nonproductive? I am willing to bet that the majority of it is research you don't understand. I remember when members of congress were grandstanding on the same points I believe you are inferring. Then those scientists whose work they were questioning showed up to congress to testify about the importance of their research. Unfortunately I cant find the video at the moment but those lawmakers looked pretty stupid at the end of it and many actually changed their views (which is not something that happens often).

But if you dont feel like addressing those points, please provide a single scientific advancement in any field where the basis of the knowledge used was funded exclusively from a private company.
    I thought I already did, but allow me to be more succinct. Government funded research is a huge boondoggle that wastes money, produces lies and flawed conclusions with no accountability whatsoever, and could be replaced for about 20% of the money when directed by the private sector. Lawmakers always look stupid, so I don't need to see your video. Lawmakers are bought and sold by Big Pharma like cheeseburgers, and if you don't understand the corruption between government and professional research, you aren't entitled to an opinion about what to do with my tax money.

I don't remember Thomas Edison being the recipient of government money until after the light bulb. And I'm quite sure than fracking was developed entirely within the industry. But I'll stop there since this cannot possibly be a serious question posed by a thinking adult.

Now, allow me to post a piece that I'm sure our new friend Goldfarb has read already: White men are the super spreaders of climate denialism | Canada's National Observer: News & Analysis

Look at the mind-numbing prose of this leftist shit, and imagine exhausting your bag of tropes more than once a year.

And again I'll ask: How much has sea level risen in the past 30 years? Hmm?

I thought I already did, but allow me to be more succinct. Government funded research is a huge boondoggle that wastes money, produces lies and flawed conclusions with no accountability whatsoever, and could be replaced for about 20% of the money when directed by the private sector. Lawmakers always look stupid, so I don't need to see your video. Lawmakers are bought and sold by Big Pharma like cheeseburgers, and if you don't understand the corruption between government and professional research, you aren't entitled to an opinion about what to do with my tax money.

I don't remember Thomas Edison being the recipient of government money until after the light bulb. And I'm quite sure than fracking was developed entirely within the industry. But I'll stop there since this cannot possibly be a serious question posed by a thinking adult.

Now, allow me to post a piece that I'm sure our new friend Goldfarb has read already: White men are the super spreaders of climate denialism | Canada's National Observer: News & Analysis

Look at the mind-numbing prose of this leftist shit, and imagine exhausting your bag of tropes more than once a year.

And again I'll ask: How much has sea level risen in the past 30 years? Hmm?
    Edison didn't invent the lightbulb. The lightbulb itself was invented > 40 years prior to Edison. He piggy backed on prior existing scientific ideas. Are you also suggesting that the development of fracking relied upon no geological research whatsoever? But sure, lets try it your way and abolish all government funding of research. That will certainly be fun as the rest of the world passes us by. You have proven yourself to be one of the greatest thinkers of our time.

I am not sure why you changed topics to global warming, but I can answer the question about the rise of sea level pretty easily. Before I do, are you suggesting that there has been no rise at all over the past 30 years or that the rise is of no consequence or concern? Or is this simply the part of the conversation where you hide amongst your followers and toss out insults without addressing the actual questions?

Edison didn't invent the lightbulb. The lightbulb itself was invented > 40 years prior to Edison. He piggy backed on prior existing scientific ideas.
    Developed by the government? He brought it to commercial success, without the government.

Are you also suggesting that the development of fracking relied upon no geological research whatsoever?
    I thought it was clear that we were talking about government funding. You keep circling back to your tired leftist bullshit.

I am not sure why you changed topics to global warming, but I can answer the question about the rise of sea level pretty easily. Before I do, are you suggesting that there has been no rise at all over the past 30 years or that the rise is of no consequence or concern? Or is this simply the part of the conversation where you hide amongst your followers and toss out insults without addressing the actual questions?
    I combine posts all the time, which you should know. I can do this because it's my board. I asked about sea level, because I thought it was an easy question, and you have not answered it by accusing me of not answering questions -- certainly a novel approach.

Developed by the government? He brought it to commercial success, without the government.

I thought it was clear that we were talking about government funding. You keep circling back to your tired leftist bullshit.

I combine posts all the time, which you should know. I can do this because it's my board. I asked about sea level, because I thought it was an easy question, and you have not answered it by accusing me of not answering questions -- certainly a novel approach.
    What is this leftist shit you keep talking about? At some level there was likely funding from the government that ultimately led to the development of the lightbulb. It was originally developed in Great Britain who had a history of funding research. I don't really care enough to do that deep of a dive into the history of the lightbulb. Regardless, without the research of others before him Edison would not have been able to bring it to commercial success. That is the whole point! Same thing with fracking. The industry may have developed it, but there certainly was years of geological research which contributed to its development, much of which was funded by the government. Without the prior research, it would not have existed. I will concede that the way government funds research now differs greatly vs 150 years ago. But this helps to advance knowledge, technology in addition to the economy and private industry. But sure, lets stop funding research now. That will go real well for the country.

The sea level change was a complete change of topic and seems to be your way of steering the conversation into leftist and rightest ideas. The sea level has risen 6.5 inches since 1950, with almost half of that occurring in the past 20 years. I am certain your Google works just as well as mine. I am not going to argue over the significance of that as I am not going to get drawn into an argument over climate change. I just don't understand the connection between an article about white males denying climate change to the discussion unless that article was a research study funded by the government, which it wasnt.

starting strength coach development program
    Also, lets ask other question just because they are easy. What kind of fruit grows from an apple tree? What color do you get if you combine yellow and blue? But more importantly, why am I asking questions that have no bearing on the discussion? But please answer them anyway because I guess they are important. Please combine that with my prior post.