starting strength gym
Page 2618 of 3004 FirstFirst ... 1618211825182568260826162617261826192620262826682718 ... LastLast
Results 26,171 to 26,180 of 30035

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    A very important thread by Jikkyleaks
    https://archive.is/2023.03.19-212551...212448257.html

Jordan Peterson Interviews Presidential Candidate Vivek Ramaswamy | EP 341 - YouTube

First time I've heard of this candidate, but at least there's one more option for those of you interested in voting.

On a side note, this is why I love Starting Strength:

Peterson, around minute 47:00, starts talking about the vision put forth by this new alliance he's trying to create (ARC), and particularly the vision of family, and he talks about it in the same way we refer to the Model in SS.
    The main critique of an ideal family, is that it marginalizes anyone who doesn't belong in it.
    But this is wrong, because an ideal, just like a model, is a point of reference, not a rigid exclusionary requirement. There ARE going to be deviations from the model. Way more deviations than there are perfect represantations of it. But it doesn't mean that the model is not the ideal way of doing something and that it can't exist. The SS model doesn't exclude anybody who can't perfectly replicate it, or very few people would be doing it successfully.

The reason why the radical post-modernists have created their alternative group identity vision is to destroy the type of ideal that gives people meaning, a sense of actual belonging in a, like Peterson calls it, subsidiary hierarchy, where everyone recognizes themselves not by their own individual feeling of identity or a generalized group identity, but by their roles in the hierarchy, as opposed to a top-down power structure or a complete directionless collectivism.

Just like SS, all this stuff requires a lot of analysis and expertise, but it's actually quite simple when you get to the core of it, and it's pretty counter-intuitive for most people.

I'm starting to realize how an incremental adaptive nature and the analysis necessary to create a Model, actually apply to almost anything in life, and how random things are without it.

Default Guns and COVID

Serious question--I'm not trying to be a troll. You guys did a podcast several months ago about home defense. You emphasized the importance of security measures in the home to prevent and address someone trying to break in. My question: Isn't home defense analogous to COVID precautions in that if things go wrong with either situation, the results can be catastrophic, but the odds of that occurring are incredibly remote? What am I missing?

Quote Originally Posted by Gilead View Post
    A very important thread by Jikkyleaks
    https://archive.is/2023.03.19-212551...212448257.html
    Very important, just like hundreds of other very important things you are not allowed to know. How long has it been since the USA was actually a free society? Have we ever been?

Quote Originally Posted by moffemoff View Post
    Serious question--I'm not trying to be a troll. You guys did a podcast several months ago about home defense. You emphasized the importance of security measures in the home to prevent and address someone trying to break in. My question: Isn't home defense analogous to COVID precautions in that if things go wrong with either situation, the results can be catastrophic, but the odds of that occurring are incredibly remote? What am I missing?
    If you have to shoot somebody who has broken into your house, things have already gone wrong. You are being robbed or assaulted. If someone is trying to break into your house, they might get it done, and this is also potentially serious. You have an opportunity to prevent serious harm or death to yourself and your family, and damage to your property. Now, how is a common upper respiratory infection -- for which there is cheap and effective treatment -- analogous to this physical assault?

Quote Originally Posted by David Roberts View Post
    If you are interested, you could read about the events such as the Marocchinate that occurred in Italy during and after WWII. Or you could watch the 1960 classic movie "Two Women" (La ciociara) starring Sophia Loren and Jean-Paul Belmondo, directed by Vittorio De Sica, and produced by Carlo Ponti. It is based on the Alberto Moravia novel which is a fictional representation of historical events.

My father-in law was Sicilian. He had respect for the Sicilian and Italian mafia for the role they played in the WWII resistance movement against Moussolini and the Nazi occupiers. Without which many non-collaborating Italians would have starved or been killed.

They may not have taught these things in the schools you attended for obvious reasons- mine didn't either. Propaganda in education is not a new thing! But in almost every graduation speech that I have had to endure in my life, the common theme is that your diploma/degree is a license to continue to learn.
    From what I can remember they just teach us that the americans came through sicily, helped the Partisan party kill the fascists and then we stopped being fascists magically and created a constitution, living happily ever after.

I don't know about schools now, but I don't remember anyone teaching me anything historical about Italy after 1948. Mabye some mention of the '68 protests and artistic movements in Europe, but it's mostly addressed from the US point of view. But yeah they don't teach about the collaboration between the local Mafia and US Troops, just like they don't teach us they real reason for our "unity". You gotta learn that stuff on youtube from indipendent historians.

Personally, I see the Mafia, even the "old school" one, as nothing more than what it was, a violent criminal organization, just like the State, except that being a smaller enterprise with many branches, more people directly benefitted from it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Very important, just like hundreds of other very important things you are not allowed to know. How long has it been since the USA was actually a free society? Have we ever been?

If you have to shoot somebody who has broken into your house, things have already gone wrong. You are being robbed or assaulted. If someone is trying to break into your house, they might get it done, and this is also potentially serious. You have an opportunity to prevent serious harm or death to yourself and your family, and damage to your property. Now, how is a common upper respiratory infection -- for which there is cheap and effective treatment -- analogous to this physical assault?
    I used to think the USA was a free society and an example for the rest of the world. Changed my mind about 21 years and 6 months ago. I've been trying to make sense of it since then to no avail.

Not sure if it's me that changed, or this countries deep seated corruption started to become impossible to ignore and forced me into my current way of thinking? Probably both.

Even the results of the Black Plague would not be nearly as catastrophic as becoming human livestock, owned by psychopaths. At least not for some of us. I realize some of you are perfectly happy in your submission, as long as the food trough keeps getting filled.

Quote Originally Posted by francesco.decaro View Post
    Jordan Peterson Interviews Presidential Candidate Vivek Ramaswamy | EP 341 - YouTube

First time I've heard of this candidate, but at least there's one more option for those of you interested in voting.

Peterson, around minute 47:00, starts talking about the vision put forth by this new alliance he's trying to create (ARC), and particularly the vision of family, and he talks about it in the same way we refer to the Model in SS.
    The main critique of an ideal family, is that it marginalizes anyone who doesn't belong in it.
    But this is wrong, because an ideal, just like a model, is a point of reference, not a rigid exclusionary requirement. There ARE going to be deviations from the model. Way more deviations than there are perfect represantations of it. But it doesn't mean that the model is not the ideal way of doing something and that it can't exist. The SS model doesn't exclude anybody who can't perfectly replicate it, or very few people would be doing it successfully.

The reason why the radical post-modernists have created their alternative group identity vision is to destroy the type of ideal that gives people meaning, a sense of actual belonging in a, like Peterson calls it, subsidiary hierarchy, where everyone recognizes themselves not by their own individual feeling of identity or a generalized group identity, but by their roles in the hierarchy, as opposed to a top-down power structure or a complete directionless collectivism.

Just like SS, all this stuff requires a lot of analysis and expertise, but it's actually quite simple when you get to the core of it, and it's pretty counter-intuitive for most people.

I'm starting to realize how an incremental adaptive nature and the analysis necessary to create a Model, actually apply to almost anything in life, and how random things are without it.
    It seems contrary to SS from my perspective. The Blue Book is the application of the simplest principles to the objective of getting stronger, Peterson's whatever thing is putting a lot of jargon on a super simple thing - family is good and important for society, hence the governors are trying to destroy it. I don't see anything counterintuitive here.

My simple approach to home defense is to live somewhere where it isn't even an issue. I've been through two home invasions when I lived closer to the city. It didn't end well for the perps.

Since then I've moved far away and close to family and friends. We don't even lock our doors around here unless we're out of town. I'm a light sleeper, so if someone wants to pop in here in the middle of the night it probably won't end well for them either.

As far as COVID goes, I'd rather have the sniffles than to have to take down several home invaders at 3am.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by francesco.decaro View Post

Man, Peterson sure does love his hierarchies. He seems to ignore how easy and often hierarchies are hijacked via politicking and manipulation.