starting strength gym
Page 2705 of 3003 FirstFirst ... 1705220526052655269527032704270527062707271527552805 ... LastLast
Results 27,041 to 27,050 of 30027

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    The war on the American farmer is already well underway.

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    Homeschooling sounds like a great idea until it dawns on you that:
    1. The teachers themselves were probably so badly let down by the poor standard of their own school education that they lack the cognitive tools and breadth of understanding or desire to effectively pass on their intellectual and cultural inheritance to children. This is always the problem with arguing for better schools of any kind. You can do all sorts of things to make a school better in theory, but who is going to teach in it?
    2. In the 21st Century West means it is often no longer possible to maintain a decent standard of living without both parents in full-time jobs; high school taxes prevent parents from spending time with their children.
    3. Since the invention of multiculturalism and since the pandemic restrictions in particular, children are increasingly isolated and stay indoors at home whenever they are not isolated in pseudo-prison at school. Homeschooling is a very different prospect.
    A few small changes and I would agree with you.
    Public school greatly retarded my intellectual and social development; it was much worse than a scenario of having zero education and zero socialization.
    This was before schools became wholesale indoctrination camps with prison-style social scenes.

1. The parents themselves were probably so badly let down by the poor standard of their own school education that they lack the cognitive tools and breadth of understanding to effectively pass on their intellectual and cultural inheritance to their children. This is always the problem with arguing for better schools of any kind. You can do all sorts of things to make a school better in theory, but who is going to teach in it?
    2. In the 21st Century West means it is often no longer possible to maintain a decent standard of living without both parents in full-time jobs.
    3. Since the invention of the iPhone and since the pandemic restrictions in particular, children are increasingly isolated and stay indoors at home whenever they are not in school. Homeschooling in isolation is a very different prospect to homeschooling with a supportive community of like-minded families around you.

I am all in favour of the idea, but these are difficult problems to address.
    All shitty excuses for not doing your job as a parent. Oh, boo hoo, it's hard. Yeah, it's fucking hard. Welcome to life.
    Why would those of us let down by schools not take education into our own hands and thus be even better prepared to guide our children?
    How are we both struggling to maintain a standard of living and still able to give our little mini-mes iPhones?
    Why do you think any of these things outweighs the responsibility of a parent to not hand over their child to the state for what even the state and the creators of schools have admitted is indoctrination purposes?
    It's not the standard of education that's the problem. Not really. The current failing standards are a direct result of the purpose of schools. Even an awesome school is still just a tool of the state to prepare people for participation in that state. Our model is based on the Prussian model. It is not there to educate. It is not there to enlighten. It is there to teach and enforce uniformity. That should offend each and every free man and woman in this country.

1. The parents themselves were probably so badly let down by the poor standard of their own school education that they lack the cognitive tools and breadth of understanding to effectively pass on their intellectual and cultural inheritance to their children. This is always the problem with arguing for better schools of any kind. You can do all sorts of things to make a school better in theory, but who is going to teach in it?
    2. In the 21st Century West means it is often no longer possible to maintain a decent standard of living without both parents in full-time jobs.
    3. Since the invention of the iPhone and since the pandemic restrictions in particular, children are increasingly isolated and stay indoors at home whenever they are not in school. Homeschooling in isolation is a very different prospect to homeschooling with a supportive community of like-minded families around you.

The shit we are seeing as generations creep on is not simply the fault of technology. It has gotten progressively worse starting before the iPhone was ever conceived. Successive generations will continue to be more socially fucked up unless our trajectory changes.

Behavioral sink - Wikipedia

Read about the Universe 25 experiment and tell me you can't see the parallels.

These problems have already been solved. There are homeschool co-ops that can be formed, but even parents can readily do it themselves. There are solid curriculum options, and many states have (or are establishing) school choice programs that provide education funds directly to parents. There are portfolios that track grades -- papers and projects to be used for furthering education and demonstrating the student's work.

Your third problem is a parenting problem. If you don't want your children using phones then don't let them use phones. Children also learn by example, so take that as you will.

Responses here tend to be black or white so don’t take the negative responses too seriously. Honestly, while I am a big supporter of school choice, home school is sometimes better, private school is sometimes better, public school is sometimes better. That’s reality.

The insane direction public schools are heading in now is real, however it’s many decades in the making and not a new thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Charles View Post
    Responses here tend to be black or white so don’t take the negative responses too seriously. Honestly, while I am a big supporter of school choice, home school is sometimes better, private school is sometimes better, public school is sometimes better. That’s reality.

The insane direction public schools are heading in now is real, however it’s many decades in the making and not a new thing.
    And Barry saves the day again. You are the keel to this ship.

Quote Originally Posted by David A. Rowe View Post
    These problems have already been solved. There are homeschool co-ops that can be formed, but even parents can readily do it themselves. There are solid curriculum options, and many states have (or are establishing) school choice programs that provide education funds directly to parents. There are portfolios that track grades -- papers and projects to be used for furthering education and demonstrating the student's work.
    I understand the challenges involved with the dual-income pressures, and that not everyone is in the position to homeschool, but we are not the first generation to have work challenges, and these points should be considered alongside that. When in history have we been better equipped to educate our children at home??? Curricula, structures, tools, guidance, community, and resources are all ludicrously cheap and available now.

Moreover, overall social decline notwithstanding, the social pressures of homeschooling seem to be less right now. Homeschool kids 40 years ago were almost unheard of, and 20, even 10 years ago, they were almost uniformly viewed as weird. Now, however, it's almost a mainstream option. And I say that living in the metropolitan area of an extremely politically left city. I can't help but wonder if this is one of the good things to come out of the past three years.

Today is the last day of school for our sons in a private school, after which we're starting homeschooling, having wanted to do it for some time. We've made employment decisions and living choices around our boys' education to get here. I understand that this current state is not available to all, and we're thankful to be where we are, but even if the magnitude of the vector is variably available, the direction is available to all. It's not only available, it's a moral imperative. It's long been acknowledged that parental involvement is essential in children's education. Wholesale abdication of that to anyone is not what a parent should do.

Your third problem is a parenting problem. If you don't want your children using phones then don't let them use phones.
    A lot of our boys' peers have phones, even at single-digit ages. It's...insane. We will not conform.

Children also learn by example, so take that as you will.
    Leadership by example, not by exception, or something like that, huh?

It's hard to be a responsible parent. It's hard to be a good example. It's hard to be involved in education.

But as someone has said...easy doesn't work.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Donaldson View Post
    I understand the challenges involved with the dual-income pressures, and that not everyone is in the position to homeschool, but we are not the first generation to have work challenges, and these points should be considered alongside that. When in history have we been better equipped to educate our children at home??? Curricula, structures, tools, guidance, community, and resources are all ludicrously cheap and available now.

Moreover, overall social decline notwithstanding, the social pressures of homeschooling seem to be less right now. Homeschool kids 40 years ago were almost unheard of, and 20, even 10 years ago, they were almost uniformly viewed as weird. Now, however, it's almost a mainstream option. And I say that living in the metropolitan area of an extremely politically left city. I can't help but wonder if this is one of the good things to come out of the past three years.

Today is the last day of school for our sons in a private school, after which we're starting homeschooling, having wanted to do it for some time. We've made employment decisions and living choices around our boys' education to get here. I understand that this current state is not available to all, and we're thankful to be where we are, but even if the magnitude of the vector is variably available, the direction is available to all. It's not only available, it's a moral imperative. It's long been acknowledged that parental involvement is essential in children's education. Wholesale abdication of that to anyone is not what a parent should do.

A lot of our boys' peers have phones, even at single-digit ages. It's...insane. We will not conform.

Leadership by example, not by exception, or something like that, huh?

It's hard to be a responsible parent. It's hard to be a good example. It's hard to be involved in education.

But as someone has said...easy doesn't work.
    Absolutely. And I don't mean to sound unkind or that I don't feel the same frustrations with MYSELF as a father. Kids, especially the bright ones, are incredibly difficult to raise, and you will ALWAYS have to fix the plane while it's on fire, flying and you're on it. We're all going to fail -- possibly in serious or significant ways without realizing it or with any ill intent.

Understand I say this in all love to everyone: we can ignore our reality. We can quit. We can let others shoulder our load. We can even abandon our children. But are we willing to live with the inevitable consequences of our choices? What those choices will make of us AND our children?

Friends, now is the time to dig down deep, grab a big breath, and lift that load. I promise the suffering is worth it, and the failures can become victories.

Thanks David. We appreciate you.

Look what the bastards will do. Not all of you will understand the level of evil here, but trust me: FDA Bans Farmers from Caring for Their Own Animals Without Costly Vet Approval – PJ Media

For the last, oh, I don’t know… forever… ranchers and farmers large and small have taken care of their livestock with antibiotics and antimicrobials that were available at farm stores. These medicines treat common illnesses and infections that people who own large animals and livestock are very familiar with and qualified to treat. They have been trusted to do so for as long as these medicines have been available. The first chicken antibiotics were introduced in 1948. Since then, there has been no call nor reason to regulate these items. Many farmers and ranchers tend to many of their animals’ veterinary needs, which is a part of being a responsible animal handler who needs to keep costs down.

It would be ridiculous to take a chicken to the vet. When chickens are sick, you consult with other chicken owners and go buy the needed items to make them well again. It was a good system.

But NOW, the unelected, unaccountable, faceless, nameless, power-hungry monarchs at the FDA have decided that none of our farmers, ranchers, or hobbyists will be allowed to have those medicines anymore without visiting the vet for a prescription. This will cost the farmers tens of thousands of dollars a year in added vet bills, which they will then pass onto the consumer, forcing prices even higher during a time of record inflation.

There was no debate in Congress, no federal law passed, no chance for a town hall or public debate, no reading of a bill, no commercials warning the public so they could stop this encroachment on liberty and sanity. We have been informed by federal decree that this is now our new reality.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Thanks David. We appreciate you.

Look what the bastards will do. Not all of you will understand the level of evil here, but trust me: FDA Bans Farmers from Caring for Their Own Animals Without Costly Vet Approval – PJ Media
    It's not just cost- it's knowledge. When Ben's pig got erysipelas the local large animal vet had no clue- he was used to dealing with horses. We got with other pig owners and went and bought supplies at Tractor Supply. We sat by that little pig for almost 5 days of intensive care. I don't know a vet that was set up for that. Pigs present a number of problems to normal vet things including being hard to get an IV line into. Like chickens, it's the animal owner community that really has the knowledge as opposed to the vet community.

My line for "evil" is people who hurt little animals and children and I think this administration has scored on both those counts. Pure human trash, if you ask me.