starting strength gym
Page 2710 of 3004 FirstFirst ... 1710221026102660270027082709271027112712272027602810 ... LastLast
Results 27,091 to 27,100 of 30039

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Subby View Post
    I'm sure someone will know the name of that specific fallacy. But that is a non sequitur. Having a right of association does not mean one must associate.
    I'd say it's a category mistake. Whether there is an obligation to associate is a separate matter from the right to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Subby View Post
    I'm sure someone will know the name of that specific fallacy. But that is a non sequitur. Having a right of association does not mean one must associate.

Secondly I asked what is the point of intermediate institutions. I don't see what your answer did in answering that? I clarify I was asking why you should/would send your kids to school in today's world? Where is the benefit?
    1) Such institutions provide leverage for the individual against the state. Implied by the first amendment, I think. The family might be the smallest intermediate institution, and it can scale up from there.

2) Today's world: Single parents of smallish children benefit from an educational system outside of the home. The alternative is to send them to daycare (like school!), then homeschool them in the evening while cooking dinner. I admit there's some romance in that (except the daycare). Romance fades.

The public (and private) schools my kids have gone to in the NE corner of Indiana have been mostly sound. A recent example is the high school principal, Mrs. Summers. She's an older woman who handled budding race riots at the school in a kind and generous, but traditional school-marm way. It worked, without being woke.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Read this. Immediately.

And most important:

Maybe the problem with public education started with John Dewey.

Quote Originally Posted by VNV View Post
    Do we also disdain the one-room schoolhouses of early America?
    The one room schoolhouse was not formed for the same reason that the modern mandatory education system was. This is like saying since we disdain the bonsu ball squats do we disdain the squat. Of course not. But bonsu ball squats aren't real squats are they? Just as the modern mandatory education system isn't real education. Modern schooling isn't even based in American traditions, but Prussian.

For those interested: https://ia903006.us.archive.org/13/i...ion%20Book.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Laureys View Post
    Just throwing this out there, but bear with me: public education is only fatally flawed if you have mis-identified its goals.
    Bingo. It's only flawed for those of us who want real education. It perfectly does what its creators wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by golftdibrad View Post
    Just because my kid goes to public school does NOT mean that will be the only source of education.
    That's good. That's a step. But those people have your kids at least 8 hours a day five days a week. Their influence is not small.

Quote Originally Posted by VNV View Post
    2) Today's world: Single parents of smallish children benefit from an educational system outside of the home. The alternative is to send them to daycare (like school!), then homeschool them in the evening while cooking dinner. I admit there's some romance in that (except the daycare). Romance fades.
    I have a friend who schools hers during the day and goes to work on second shift. I know another lady doing the same except she works from home doing customer service for Apple.

From the article, this bears repeating: "the very fact that this dependence on top down diktat is the force fed firehose of every public school and university and federal program represents perhaps the greatest false flag operation in human history."

I'm a 59 y/o white guy.

Suppose I decided to be trans-racial.

Reckon how everyone would know that I'm not a black guy?

Quote Originally Posted by Stump View Post
    I'm a 59 y/o white guy.

You wouldn't be breaking new ground.

Republican councilman reportedly threatened with ‘execution’ after identifying as a ''lesbian woman'' | Fox News Video

Quote Originally Posted by Jenni View Post
    The one room schoolhouse was not formed for the same reason that the modern mandatory education system was. This is like saying since we disdain the bonsu ball squats do we disdain the squat. Of course not. But bonsu ball squats aren't real squats are they? Just as the modern mandatory education system isn't real education. Modern schooling isn't even based in American traditions, but Prussian.
    I think the system was transformed from its early to modern condition, pivoting on Dewey. More to read though. Your link, Chapter 1, invokes "The Hoosier School Master" as an exemplary form. It even refers to the mediating influence of an intermediate institution, "the society" vs. the "national political state". We're onto something here.

I have a friend who schools hers during the day and goes to work on second shift. I know another lady doing the same except she works from home doing customer service for Apple.

..."
    Good deal, if you can get it.

I don't know why I'm defending public schools (some in practice, some in theory), since I've warned my kids not to send their kids to them (they've already felt the weight of the bureaucracy - attendance rules are draconion vs. private schools, as they must be!). It's either my contrarian streak, or wan-hopeful side.

Quote Originally Posted by Stump View Post
    I'm a 59 y/o white guy.

What if you were to identify as an excellent female gospel singer? Would Madonna let you participate in her studio recording of Like a Prayer?

This seems to present a problem for the folks involved in Pride Month and I Stand With Ukraine: European rights court rules against Ukraine in same-sex union case

PARIS (Reuters) - A same-sex couple who tried unsuccessfully to get married at seven different register offices in Ukraine suffered discrimination, the European Court of Human Rights (ECHR) ruled on Thursday.

The verdict, in a case brought to the court by plaintiffs Andrii Maimulakhin and Andrii Markiv in 2014, adds to calls for increased protection for and recognition of LGBTQ rights in the country, whose constitution still describes marriage as between a man and a woman.

The couple's "sexual orientation had been the sole basis for the difference in treatment," the court said.
    And here is an interesting Jonathan Turley column that calls several things into question: “Safe Harbor”: New Evidence Offers Insight into Hunter Biden and his Collapsing World of Corruption – JONATHAN TURLEY

Likewise, Attorney General Merrick Garland has seen to that by steadfastly refusing to appoint a special counsel despite references to the president getting a proposed cut of these deals and instructions to use code names for him like the “Big Guy” to conceal his role.

Most recently, an IRS whistleblower came forward to accuse the Justice Department of interfering with the tax investigation of Hunter by “slow walking” the investigation and making a series of decisions that worked to his advantage.

As made clear by Jim Biden, there is always a plan in the Biden family. Back in 2018, he assured his nephew that “as usual just need several months of [your father’s] help for this to work. Let’s talk about it. It makes perfect sense to me.” In the meantime, the message from Uncle Jim likely remains “stay calm and carry on.”

Bingo. It's only flawed for those of us who want real education. It perfectly does what its creators wanted.
    ."
    Thanks for the reaffirming feedback, Jenni. I'll just confirm that as with most things in life, and as with, for example, the strength training that we all here are familiar with, homeschooling requires certain sacrifices, tradeoffs, and priority management decisions that perhaps not every parent is comfortable or agrees with.

Now onto the politics, a.k.a mental masturbation!
    TL;DR:
    Most of the topics in this thread get our blood boiling because we think our noble, representative republic society is acting in direct contradiction to our liberty-shielding founding principles and morals.

Pardon my gullibility, these relevations of mine sound like that worn-out adage that you only turn Conservative after having had to pay taxes, but, damn, they tax interest earnings on CDs that you purchase and EVEN damn savings accounts! (I was able to invest what is for me (at this moment) a "large" sum of money into CDs, and got quite excited about the passive interest earnings, then the blood started boiling over the cut that the rulers are going to take, a second taxation of earned income, simply for the right to exist).
    I mentioned the Russian tsar's "Zemstvo" councils (created just prior to his assassination) up above because the rulers of that time pretended to give representative power to the rulED, and I'm really not sure how any of us Americans can prove that our representative powers as the rulED-over isn't make-believe, either.
    As I was fuming over these Real-estate transfer taxes and savings interest taxes, my realist Russian wife said the free Americans of the early 20th century "allowed" the rulERS to create these (a laundry list of transfer taxes and fees that we must pay to sell our own damn property) in the same way that WE today "allowed" CoVid to happen. Did any of us here consent to any of the COVID restrictions, or were we too intimidated by the rulERs' monopoly on and threats of violence to do anything about them?

IOW, she implied, have the rulED ever really been free from their rulERs? To which I countered that in the both the late 18th and early 20th century it was easier to revolt and fight back: see, for example, the American revolution (we guerillas hid behind trees and outsmarted the idiot British!!) and the Oktyabristy who murdered the tsar. And my dear, cynical, realist Russian wife rolled her eyes (won't get into it here, but most Russians have a theory about how the communist revolution occurred,and it has nothing to do with organic worker uprisings).

This is all relevant simply because many of the injustices in Western society are less infuriating and less questionable as to their motivations if you understand their real purpose, which is closer to the subjugation of a rulED people by their rulERs than sneaky globalists, communists, and other conspiratorial Powers That Be trying to twist an otherwise purely free people into taxation without representation.