Hello sir, been a fan for years.

I'm 42 y/o, used the SS method about 10-12 years ago and made good progress. Used the Texas method circa 2019 and made some more progress. I'm 5'9 currently about 180lbs, I enjoy playing Flag Football, and I am considering trying my first powerlifting meet in June. My best 1RM, which was last year in the fall, was 275 Bench, 405 Squat, & 495 Deadlift.

I would like to continue to make strength gains but I have been running into a wall. Playing slot or cornerback the added body weight in the past has caused me a lot of low back, knee, and ankle pain. I got up to 190-195 at one point (however, when I hit my maxes I was about 183) also I have backed off the heavy sets of 5 for the past 6 months because it was just kicking my ass. I still train but I am using more Hypertrophy protocol, 4 days a week, my joints feel better, but Im itching to get back to heavy 5s. I find myself having to be much more strategic because the systemic fatigue was crushing me. I used to train 3 days a week but the 2 hour workouts were unsustainable with my family schedule as well.

If Im feeling confident in June with my numbers I want to compete at the powerlifting meet at 83 kg. So just looking for your expertise on how to juggle these different goals (flag football, strength, and life), not kill myself, and still be able to compete at a higher level.

BTW I bought Practical Programming and I am reading the chapter about the Intermediate lifter now.

Thanks again for my years of solid gains