starting strength gym
Page 47 of 3019 FirstFirst ... 37454647484957971475471047 ... LastLast

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    And furthermore, if this is to be the new procedure every time a new contagion arises, we have flushed civilization down the toilet. This is crazy as hell, and you're scaring the kids.
    No better way to realize the leftist political ideal. Scary invisible boogie critters that will kill grandma and your little darlings.

Problems Solved:

- income inequality
    - severe wealth redistribution
    - government run health care
    - eliminate private ownership of guns
    - reduce energy consumption
    - reduce material consumption
    - eliminate meat
    - etc.

Real revolution is always bloody

A new opinion piece today in the NYT by a Nobel winning economist and the provost at Harvard. I know the Times isn’t the most popular periodical around here but the message is important, I think, and very much in line with what has already been discussed here.

Opinion | How to Prevent a Coronavirus Depression - The New York Times

The hysterical predictions about the virality and mortality of the disease are wrong. They are products of and predictions made by media and industry experts who are merely sensationalist and self-interested. We must ignore them for the greater good.

The hysterical predictions about the economy and stability of society are correct. They are products of and predictions made by media and industry experts who are interested in telling hard truths and facing cold facts. We must heed them for the greater good.

Quote Originally Posted by Yngvi View Post
    My experience is that your post understates the level of totalitarian control.
    Good point. Also look at the Uighyers and the situation in XinJiang.

I also just had the thought that very few public restrooms in China ever had toilet paper or hand soap when I was there 7 years ago. I wonder how long it' ll be until businesses here in the US have a "bring your own TP" policy because everyone keeps stealing it. The grocery stores in my area are still pretty packed, which makes me think that this panic is already much more about the economy than the virus.

Let's see. April 2013, Boston locked down because of Marathon Bombing. No push back from the public or the media.
    March 2020, Several states (and the rest of the country to varying degrees) locked down. No push back from the public or the media; people actively shamed for opposing it.

I maintain our overlords have learned much from these incidents about how compliant the public will be in the face of a crisis (real, imagined, or manufactured).

This is far, far more dangerous than any disease could ever be.

That's what I meant when I said we failed the bioweapons test.

Quote Originally Posted by EyeMD View Post
    A new opinion piece today in the NYT by a Nobel winning economist and the provost at Harvard. I know the Times isn’t the most popular periodical around here but the message is important, I think, and very much in line with what has already been discussed here.

Opinion | How to Prevent a Coronavirus Depression - The New York Times
    Moving to a targeted strategy after a couple months is more onerous than anything we have discussed (including me). This piece does not support the forum’s viewpoint.

starting strength coach development program
    When I posted my quip about "The Last Centurion, I really was joking. Now I'm thinking the novel might be coming true. Not the plague part, but the overreach of the government.

Is it just a coincidence that most of the elected government officials that are advocating extreme measures are Democrats?