starting strength gym
Page 49 of 3003 FirstFirst ... 39474849505159991495491049 ... LastLast

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveJF View Post
    It will remain the procedure if the american people continue to have the gall to elect someone not approved by the established powers that be. That is really what this is all about. Fckn ridiculous.

Maybe - just maybe - this ordeal can be used to eventually help bring the whole rotten temple down on their heads.

I fear our election system has been irreparably damaged and what we are experiencing is the inevitable resul; The electoral college is severely misused, state senators no longer elect US senators (this was supposed to guard against power concentrating in large cities), the judiciary is no longer independent, constitutional limitations are routinely ignored and everyone is allowed to vote without restriction or condition.

We are no longer a constitutional republic as the founding fathers intended. We are now an open, inclusive mob-rule democracy, with virtually no citizenship and voting restrictions, much like the one that caused the fall of Rome.

Quote Originally Posted by EyeMD View Post
    See this article on Hong Kong:

They just went through a several week quarantine period. They loosened restrictions and the virus came back. And now its back to a draconian lockdown. So how exactly will their month 2-3 response be different from the 1 month lockdown? They were seen as a model for infection control. Just curious.

Don't question them. They obviously were experts who knew what they were doing. Nobody could have seen that coming....except, of course for the millions of people without political, financial or bureaucratic interests at stake.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiva Kaul View Post
    You didn’t answer my question. If I am “spectacularly stupid” for saying 4-week lockdowns would not cause a depression, then please enlighten us about the maximum duration.
    I will not say you are stupid, because even highly intelligent people make frequent mistakes. You have, however profoundly misunderstood the situation.

Quote Originally Posted by ltomo View Post
    Here is another thought, per the podcast Rip and John Horgan just released. How many people die of lung cancer and smoking every year? How much money and manpower is sucked up by the healthcare industry dealing with smoking related issues? Why no mass hysteria?
    Is this a serious question?

I think he's being rhetorical.

Quote Originally Posted by ltomo View Post
    Here is another thought, per the podcast Rip and John Horgan just released. How many people die of lung cancer and smoking every year? How much money and manpower is sucked up by the healthcare industry dealing with smoking related issues? Why no mass hysteria?
    Because a man with lung cancer can walk around and not give lung cancer to anyone else.

And I would argue that there has been mass hysteria around smoking related issues for a good couple of decades now - ask Philip Morris et al.

They just went through a several week quarantine period. They loosened restrictions and the virus came back. And now its back to a draconian lockdown. So how exactly will their month 2-3 response be different from the 1 month lockdown? They were seen as a model for infection control. Just curious.
    COVID19 is not a problem if there is enough space and equipment to handle it. Much like the Times article suggested, the default amount of PPE needs to increase uniformly. Like Rip, I think this burden should be shouldered by the hospital system, not the rest of the economy. Unlike Rip, I think it will take a month for production and distribution of the equipment necessary to avoid a collapse of the hospital system.

I think, at this point, perhaps only South Korea and parts of mainland China have the necessary amount of equipment. And their threshold for lockdown is much lower than ours.

Ralph Northam just single handedly destroyed small business in Virginia. All nonessential businesses must CLOSE for at least 30 days. The “bluer” the state the more draconian the measures

Quote Originally Posted by Yngvi View Post
    We are no longer a constitutional republic as the founding fathers intended.
    I will not say you are stupid, because even highly intelligent people make frequent mistakes. You have, however profoundly misunderstood the situation.
    Rip is correct that my discussion is “about the virus” rather than long-term political and legal consequences. Ruminating about those is even more data-free and fruitless than guessing the true number of cases. It is possible to oppose government intervention in April/May, while taking any measures necessary to ensure the safety and efficacy of HCWs in March.

Did it occur to anyone to simply isolate and quarantine the vulnerable population?

This is akin to strip searching blue haired old ladies at the airport, because an accusation of racial profiling is far worse than a bomb on a plane.

See this article on Hong Kong:

Hong Kong appeared to have the coronavirus under control, then it let its guard down - CNN

This is all based on "confirmed cases".
    That number depends on testing: frequency, who gets tested, how accurate the tests are, who shows symptoms, etc.
    IIRC, even those who are tested, the tests are only has 90% accurate rate for positive, and 35% for negative...or something like that.
    Deaths from COVID19 are published at ...

.... a whole FOUR people. (~8M pop.)

I would posit that number of deaths is much more accurate, but still not even close to perfect.

Also, weird that mainland China, with its 1.5B population has move toward more normal conditions .... and has minute new "cases" the last week or so.
    You know, they did not lock the whole entire country down.
    There's not a couple of dozen of small cities where it when unchecked in that vast country?
    And those places aren't completely decimated now because they didn't go on lockdown?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddy Rich View Post
    Ralph Northam just single handedly destroyed small business in Virginia. All nonessential businesses must CLOSE for at least 30 days. The “bluer” the state the more draconian the measures
    The City of Denver is on Shelter In Place until April 10. There will be very few small retail and food businesses that get of of this intact.