starting strength gym
Page 71 of 3003 FirstFirst ... 21616970717273811211715711071 ... LastLast

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Interesting, so if a lawful business fails because the government closes it...and the business is replaced by another company that the government hasn’t ordered to close...then it's all cool because the government keeps collecting taxes regardless...right?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    An interesting question. My sources tell me that they can tax the value, not the use of the value, even though you have been deprived of the use of the value which generates the revenue you use to pay the tax -- apparently their argument will be that you retain the value, and that's what they're taxing. It will be an interesting day in court. If we're still allowed to have courts.
    My brother is an attorney in New York City. Construction law. Obviously a mess.

I asked him maybe a week ago what he was doing, as his company went on quarantine of all of its employees due to one of the partners possibly being "exposed." They were "testing out working remotely." He told me, "Oh, no. Interoffice and client meetings are being done via Skype/Zoom/Go To Meeting, all filings are already done electronically, judges are reviewing documents remotely, everything trudges on. The only question is how they will handle trials."

The machine keeps going.

Quote Originally Posted by David Kirkham View Post
    Interesting, so if a lawful business fails because the government closes it...and the business is replaced by another company that the government hasn’t ordered to close...then it's all cool because the government keeps collecting taxes regardless...right?
    Sure. It's perfectly cool with the government.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    I believe this is highly unlikely. The biggest pimps for the most restrictive shelter in place house arrest (as opposed to the medical term quarantine) are predominantly those opposed to Trump. If there's no election, one of the prime objectives is rendered moot. Because no election, no change in POTUS. The dems and the media DO NOT want that.
    If there's no election, Trump and Pence are out on the 20th of January next year. Our 20th amendment is very clear on that. Now, who would become president at that point goes through a ton of potential scenarios. Technically it would be Speaker of the House... but I don't anticipate an election being cancelled anyway, for a different reason than you suggest.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    I believe this is highly unlikely. The biggest pimps for the most restrictive shelter in place house arrest (as opposed to the medical term quarantine) are predominantly those opposed to Trump. If there's no election, one of the prime objectives is rendered moot. Because no election, no change in POTUS. The dems and the media DO NOT want that.

I am becoming increasingly convinced that the US media's response to the Kung Flu was to seize upon it as an opportunity to not have to talk about dem candidates to any significant degree. Sanders is staying the course, weakening Biden and every time Biden speaks his weak grasp on reality and language becomes more apparent. So the attention of the electorate has to be diverted to something that can be blamed on Trump.

We are undergoing a test of whether or not our citizens would rather be subjects. Too many of said occupants of US soil seem more comfortable to be subjects or perhaps clients of a soviet style regime. Many wage earners have been sent home to become clients of the state's largess. Such as it is. The old saw in the USSR was "we pretend to work and they pretend to pay us." Large swaths of occupants of US soil are failing this test.

Finally, there's a book cover that haunted me when I saw in it in college back in the early 70's. John Brunner's "Sheep Look Up", his issue was the then new liberal cause the environment. But the gas mask with sheep's horns seem rather apropos to me just now.

Robot Check
    I am unsure whether these lockdowns are orchestrated by the political machine or just a surprise circumstance where the opportunity was presented. Either way though, I give credit to those who were ready and pounced (sarcasm, yes, but with a kernel of earnest.)

I think you are dead on with this, and its terrifying to witness: "We are undergoing a test of whether or not our citizens would rather be subjects."

I don't know if anyone's linked this already since the thread has apparently exploded, but I saw this on the twitter of a podcaster I listen to who is also a "virus skeptic" I guess the label would be.
    Epidemiologist Behind Highly-Cited Coronavirus Model Drastically Downgrades Projection | The Daily Wire

Not that you have to always agree with your friends but Taleb is not a fan of Ioannidis: https://twitter.com/nntaleb/status/1...908609?lang=en

Sent home with pay? Or laid off? As in no income. I don't believe that.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____

This is dry. From John P. A. Ioannidis: Coronavirus disease 2019: the harms of exaggerated information and non-evidence-based
    measures

]Error - Cookies Turned Off

Repeating:

High consequence infectious diseases (HCID) - GOV.UK

I'll bet medium.com doesn't pull this one down, like they did the Ginn piece, now available here: https://startingstrength.com/files/e...f-hysteria.pdf

While everybody is entitled an opinion and I am not sure if medium did the right thing by pulling down Ginn's article (may be they did), the latest figures from the US and the reports from New York indicate that things are moving towards the general trend predicted by Pueyo. Economy is already dead. Now it is time to save the lives - even if that means a concentration of powers with the government. Despite Trump, I am sure that the US will fare better than Italy and Spain.

We shall think about livelihood once this is done.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by PuliMorgan View Post
    While everybody is entitled an opinion and I am not sure if medium did the right thing by pulling down Ginn's article (may be they did), the latest figures from the US and the reports from New York indicate that things are moving towards the general trend predicted by Pueyo. Economy is already dead. Now it is time to save the lives - even if that means a concentration of powers with the government. Despite Trump, I am sure that the US will fare better than Italy and Spain.

We shall think about livelihood once this is done.
    You are shamefully dense.