starting strength gym
Page 111 of 3004 FirstFirst ... 11611011091101111121131211612116111111 ... LastLast
Results 1,101 to 1,110 of 30035

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by RKC View Post
    This will sound argumentative.. but I don’t mean it that way.

It seems there are posters in this thread from numerous places on the planet?

Are there posters who have a personal experience with this virus? Are there posters with with friends, family, or associates with tested and confirmed cases of COVID-19?
    Two cousins in Connecticut are positive. Both are in their 20's with a kid that's... maybe 2 years old now?

Received an email from work this afternoon stating a co-worker is positive at my place of employment (in Illinois) . I'm sure I'll find out tomorrow who it is and whether to self-quarantine as a result.

My father, who lives down the road from Mr. Rippetoe on US-82, knows a group of 6 men came back from Israel a few weeks ago. 4 of the 6 are positive, 1 is likely not going to make it. The other 2, who have shown no symptoms to date, have not self-quarantined at all.

Quote Originally Posted by hreed View Post
    Two cousins in Connecticut are positive. Both are in their 20's with a kid that's... maybe 2 years old now?

Received an email from work this afternoon stating a co-worker is positive at my place of employment (in Illinois) . I'm sure I'll find out tomorrow who it is and whether to self-quarantine as a result.

My father, who lives down the road from Mr. Rippetoe on US-82, knows a group of 6 men came back from Israel a few weeks ago. 4 of the 6 are positive, 1 is likely not going to make it. The other 2, who have shown no symptoms to date, have not self-quarantined at all.
    Those two not quarantining is such a frustrating situation. I am on the side of less intervention with rip and those guys, but assholes like that really throw a wrench in the whole let adults act like adults argument I try to make with all public policies.

I’m in rural Connecticut and our area became swamped with New Yorkers two weeks ago, who didn’t quarantine and bought every fucking thing from our stores. We now have towns of 1,000 people with a large number of cases because the New Yorkers never quarantined when they came over, and Connecticut is supposed to be one of the next hot spots in the country.

Quite literally, every single thing that could have been done to manage this fucking mess was done wrong. Incorrectly, illogically, and in the most transparently oppressive way possible.

shabu is offline Starting Strength App Developer

Quote Originally Posted by Soule View Post
    People need to listen to this fuckin guy!
    That was amazing.

Basically he said if this virus was allowed to run its course, the pandemic would be over already.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    YouTube Perspectives on the Pandemic | Professor Knut Wittkowski

Another good one, from Knut Wittkowski PhD, for twenty years head of The Rockefeller University's Department of Biostatistics, Epidemiology, and Research Design. I love his statement at 5:03. Hurry, before Youtube takes it down.
    Holy shit. If this guy isn't a nut and what he's saying is true.... they broke the world for no reason whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by Jovan Dragisic View Post
    for one you need the US and EU to work together
    Agreed. Both have experienced the same. I have believed for a couple of years now that Eastern Europe, with or without Russia, is the area of highest economic potential in the world (Brazil is close). I believe we are entering an era where large populations of unskilled or unintelligent workers, as you have in India, China, SE Asia are a heavy liability, rather than an asset, as it was for China up to this point.

Quote Originally Posted by CommanderFun View Post
    They don't. You don't get anywhere in politics, especially at that level, by having moral fortitude. But if public outrage at China builds enough momentum, our leaders will find the courage to break us away from our faustian bargains with China.

The media appears to be strongly against reform. That is the big barrier for now. It is amazing how little reporting there has been on China's role in the pandemic and how careful they have been to not offend the CCP.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Charles View Post
    The criteria for shutting down the US was “better safe than sorry”.

(Not overwhelming hospitals is a subset of “better safe than sorry”. So no need to go there)

Then what is the criteria for opening the country and for closing it again in the future? This is the important question that needs to be asked and answered. I believe the answers will determine if recovery is possible. Am I wrong?

Look at the influenza protocols that they have been following. It gives exact metrics for reopening. (Steadily decreasing number of active cases and new infections for a few weeks)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    YouTube Perspectives on the Pandemic | Professor Knut Wittkowski

Another good one, from Knut Wittkowski PhD, for twenty years head of The Rockefeller University's Department of Biostatistics, Epidemiology, and Research Design. I love his statement at 5:03. Hurry, before Youtube takes it down.

"I'm not paid by the government, so I am entitled to actually do science." This one is best.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnsonville View Post
    ... became swamped with New Yorkers two weeks ago, who didn’t quarantine and bought every fucking thing from our stores. We now have towns of 1,000 people with a large number of cases because the New Yorkers never quarantined when they came over...
    I am sure they did their part by demanding other people be subjected to house arrest though?

36:43 of Professor Wittkowski's video: does anyone know what he said?

He sounds like he is ready for mass protests and gatherings now. Maybe it is about time to get started rather than just disobeying the unconstitutional orders.

Today I learned: two things you can't do at the same time with any degree of moral or intellectual honesty.

Bash antivaxxers while supporting social distancing.

Quote Originally Posted by Yngvi View Post
    Agreed. Both have experienced the same. I have believed for a couple of years now that Eastern Europe, with or without Russia, is the area of highest economic potential in the world (Brazil is close). I believe we are entering an era where large populations of unskilled or unintelligent workers, as you have in India, China, SE Asia are a heavy liability, rather than an asset, as it was for China up to this point.
    China is five or ten years away from being able to completely use its middle class not as an asset for attracting production, but as an asset for attracting consumption, thus completely aligning themselves with the marketing schemes running the world. The reason the media is unwilling to step on the CCP's toes is because all of them have started viewing China as its next big market for attracting advertising revenue. Same goes for Hollywood and so on. Had this been left unchecked, you would have found yourself living in a totally different world by 2030. The very nature of market logic, demographics and politics, which are a direct product of markets and demographics, was playing into the Committee's hands right up until the virus jumped from bats to the intermediary to humans. Now all of this is in shambles. My guess is that if you and me can figure this shit out, so can Western governments and so can Mr Xi. As I intimated previously, I don't think the poor Great Leader has been sleeping without chemicals since December.

starting strength coach development program
    This video lecture from Yale (YouTube) provides an interesting historical perspective of the SARS, avian flu, and swine flu outbreaks. It was recorded in 2010.