starting strength gym
Page 121 of 3020 FirstFirst ... 21711111191201211221231311712216211121 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,210 of 30198

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunoLawerence View Post
    You seem to have trouble with long-term and short-term implications. What I am suggesting is the long-term ramifications of not performing the current measures far outweigh any short-term problems we have on the economy by keeping them in place. Also, yes, for the most part people are following the recommendations and it appears to be working. If we do it appropriately it will look like it wasn't needed, but if we don't do it it will look like we should have done it. Which side of that coin would you prefer to be on?
    This is interesting. And rather humorous.

So, a company, being leveraged has large fixed costs related to its assets required to be in business.
    We send all their workers home because they are "not critical".

So the mortgage obligations relentlessly continue while bureaucrats consider the "risks" of a virus. Bureaucrats that will be held accountable for every death from Covid-19, but will get a pass on deaths based on economic ruin. Look at the 1920's in the US if you need to understand this concept "slightly better". The 70's and 80's in South America might warrant your consideration as well.

This is an "adult decision". The data available is total crap. We don't know for sure where and when this started... merely when we "noticed". There were no tests available for something we were not looking for. Many lies were told early on by China... and the WHO, which is sort of redundant.

The "send everyone home who is not essential" order, while an adult decision, has no precedent. There is no accurate model to predict how this will go. Much like Carl von Clausewitz (The Fog of War) notion, we are flying blind.

Your use of "long term" versus short term, if interpreted generously, is a typo.

The economy is not a short term deal. Ask Venezuela, or North Korea, perhaps Cuba.

You are dealing with forces well beyond your ability to conceptualize, let alone lecture on.

My advice. Read a book. Or at least pay attention to what the adults say and do.

Perhaps that book should be Wealth of Nations.

I leave you with a hint: Unemployment, on the scale that now appears possible, is a scourge beyond any plague we have seen as a race.

If this is your thought:
    "but if we can save one life from Covid-19 it is worth any number atrocities caused by a terrible economy".
    Then you really need to read more, or just shut up.
    Maybe stay a couple months in Venezuela to consider the importance of a sound economy.
    Perhaps North Korea would be a fine place for the next couple months.
    These were both once prosperous places.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesepuff View Post
    This is interesting. And rather humorous.

So, a company, being leveraged has large fixed costs related to its assets required to be in business.
    We send all their workers home because they are "not critical".

So the mortgage obligations relentlessly continue while bureaucrats consider the "risks" of a virus. Bureaucrats that will be held accountable for every death from Covid-19, but will get a pass on deaths based on economic ruin. Look at the 1920's in the US if you need to understand this concept "slightly better". The 70's and 80's in South America might warrant your consideration as well.

This is an "adult decision". The data available is total crap. We don't know for sure where and when this started... merely when we "noticed". There were no tests available for something we were not looking for. Many lies were told early on by China... and the WHO, which is sort of redundant.

The "send everyone home who is not essential" order, while an adult decision, has no precedent. There is no accurate model to predict how this will go. Much like Carl von Clausewitz (The Fog of War) notion, we are flying blind.

Your use of "long term" versus short term, if interpreted generously, is a typo.

The economy is not a short term deal. Ask Venezuela, or North Korea, perhaps Cuba.

You are dealing with forces well beyond your ability to conceptualize, let alone lecture on.

My advice. Read a book. Or at least pay attention to what the adults say and do.

Perhaps that book should be Wealth of Nations.

I leave you with a hint: Unemployment, on the scale that now appears possible, is a scourge beyond any plague we have seen as a race.

If this is your thought:
    "but if we can save one life from Covid-19 it is worth any number atrocities caused by a terrible economy".
    Then you really need to read more, or just shut up.
    Maybe stay a couple months in Venezuela to consider the importance of a sound economy.
    Perhaps North Korea would be a fine place for the next couple months.
    These were both once prosperous places.

What happens to the economy after a pandemic goes spreading across the country unchecked? See the problem yet?

Also, we do know that we were warned about this back in January, when did we act? Was it sufficient? Are you also implying that none of the jobs will come back after this temporary shutdown? I'm not saying there won't be any hardships. Are you suggesting that the economies of North Korea, Venezuela, and Cuba were caused by short-term shutdowns?

What effects do you foresee on the economy if tomorrow morning we open everything back up and rapidly spread the virus? Are people still going to go to your gym? Would you still go out to eat? That may happen for a week or two, then you will start to see the consequences once the virus spreads.

Cool, open the gym and let one asymptomatic carrier come in and start working out. Let's see how rapidly it spreads. How many people will be coming back in the next 1-2 weeks? Again, not a difficult concept to understand. This is exactly the type of response that will prolong this!
    If the gym opens tomorrow and everyone goes and some of them get corona virus, that would be fantastic. Lots of healthy, able-bodied people will potentially be exposed to a virus. Of those who experience symptoms, the overwhelming majority will recover. As Rip mentioned much earlier in this thread, squat numbers probably have a direct correlation with getting through this thing.

The worst thing that will happen to the economy (other than the severe damage already done) is some excessive sick calls from workers and a few weeks of lower than normal productivity. Some people probably might even come out ahead by picking up overtime hours.

Everyone I know who is afraid and at risk is already on total lockdown. I know grannies and grandpas who get their groceries delivered to their house, receive them in haz mat suits, then disinfect them as soon as they're in the house. The people who are at risk and worried are not going to be affected if the country opens back up.

The elderly who aren't so worried understand the risks and have made that decision for themselves, like adults. They understand the risk. Their days are already numbered, and they have chosen to live their lives as close to normal as possible.

I, for my part, am doing my best to stay exposed to people. I try and stroll through the grocery store every day or two if possible. The faster I come into contact with this thing (if I haven't already) and build up an immunity, the better for me and the rest of society.

Geoege Carlin had some good thoughts on this.

YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by ltomo View Post
    If the gym opens tomorrow and everyone goes and some of them get corona virus, that would be fantastic. Lots of healthy, able-bodied people will potentially be exposed to a virus. Of those who experience symptoms, the overwhelming majority will recover. As Rip mentioned much earlier in this thread, squat numbers probably have a direct correlation with getting through this thing.

The worst thing that will happen to the economy (other than the severe damage already done) is some excessive sick calls from workers and a few weeks of lower than normal productivity. Some people probably might even come out ahead by picking up overtime hours.

Everyone I know who is afraid and at risk is already on total lockdown. I know grannies and grandpas who get their groceries delivered to their house, receive them in haz mat suits, then disinfect them as soon as they're in the house. The people who are at risk and worried are not going to be affected if the country opens back up.

The elderly who aren't so worried understand the risks and have made that decision for themselves, like adults. They understand the risk. Their days are already numbered, and they have chosen to live their lives as close to normal as possible.

I, for my part, am doing my best to stay exposed to people. I try and stroll through the grocery store every day or two if possible. The faster I come into contact with this thing (if I haven't already) and build up an immunity, the better for me and the rest of society.

Geoege Carlin had some good thoughts on this.

YouTube
    Did you just suggest you can "squat" your way through this? And what happens when those able bodied healthy people go out and interact with less able bodied folks they work with, live with, or just generally come in contact with? What happens when those less able bodied folk end up in the hospital in close proximity to others who are recovering from a heart attack?

Interesting stuff. Sheriff's test positive and stay home from essential work (at a place with 1,500 employees), recover and come back to work.

I'm being told to stay home with my gym that has 38-40 clients (1-3 per hour, three separate stations, everything wiped down before next client touches anything). To help flatten the curve....

Walmart, Target, home Depot, Bass pro shop have packed parking lots with no lines outside (I know I drive by them). Yet a few small select "non-essential" businesses are told to fight this and "were all in this together"???

It's like asking ten friends over to your house to help move and saying you have a plan to get this done faster but having seven of them sit and not help (essential) while you three (non-essential) get to work... We're all in this together...??

Access Denied

Commissioner Price Opposes Dallas County Disaster Declaration Extension to May 20 – NBC 5 Dallas-Fort Worth

Dallas County Commissioners vote to limit emergency powers of Judge Clay Jenkins during pandemic | FOX 4 News Dallas-Fort Worth

What happens to the economy after a pandemic goes spreading across the country unchecked? See the problem yet?
    Yeah, we hadn't considered that, you fucking imbecile. With the permission of everybody else on the board, I'm withdrawing his privileges.

What effects do you foresee on the economy if tomorrow morning we open everything back up and rapidly spread the virus? Are people still going to go to your gym? Would you still go out to eat? That may happen for a week or two, then you will start to see the consequences once the virus spreads.

Cool, open the gym and let one asymptomatic carrier come in and start working out. Let's see how rapidly it spreads. How many people will be coming back in the next 1-2 weeks? Again, not a difficult concept to understand. This is exactly the type of response that will prolong this!

BTW, the reason for the lower rates of mortality and hospitalizations compared to previous models is because the original models predicted that only 50% of the country would follow the recommendations. However, > 90% of the country is currently following them. So please continue bitching about being quarantined while you remain quarantined
    You’re making the case here that a quarantined population isn’t going to make a difference... that’s it’s never going to end. At some point the population has to go to work, mingle, interact with each other. We have to go outside again, someday.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Yeah, we hadn't considered that, you fucking imbecile. With the permission of everybody else on the board, I'm withdrawing his privileges.
    Don’t withdraw his privileges... he’s wrong, and annoying... and young and misguided. But he’s one of us.

YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    (a) It’s true that this question had been brought up several times. But I have yet to see a rational response that doesn’t include simply hoping the oitbreak/disease isn’t all that bad. Just for the record: what *is* your answer under the hypothesis that the unchecked outbreak *is* really that bad?

(b) For what it’s worth, as a longtime member of this board, you don’t have my permission.

Actually, ~97% of the country is now on some sort of lockdown. Unfortunately, this took far to long which will end up prolonging this.
    Bruno, you silly bitch. The lockdown is what is going to prolong this. Do you know what herd immunity means?