starting strength gym
Page 296 of 3003 FirstFirst ... 1962462862942952962972983063463967961296 ... LastLast
Results 2,951 to 2,960 of 30027

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    This just in--I was right all along. Where is your micropedantic god now, Shiva?

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Cavazos View Post
    I wish. It's a bluff and publicity stunt. As fun as it would be for Tesla to move major ops to Texas it ain't happening. CA politicians love railing against capitalism and capitalists, but they love money more and Tesla represents a lot of money. They'll bend the knee out of view from the cameras. And if you're Musk, you're beyond the point of caring how much disposable income you have. Regional tax policies don't impact his standard of living so why not choose to live in sunny and beautiful California?
    There's a lot of truth in what you said above. To wit, the public denouncement of PG&E over having been accused of contributing to wildfires the last few years or so. This despite the greenies keeping PG&E from clear cutting under and around power lines. Then there are the penalties extracted from them by the state. One gets the sense that there was some behind the curtain dealing with PG&E to keep them whole in some fashion, all the while with Newsom mugging for the cameras.

But Musk has shown himself to be increasingly impulsive and erratic the last several years. As you say, there's a lot to keep Musk there in CA, but his other angels may have him leave in a fit of pique. Recall his own denunciation of Unsworth as a "pedo", a guy who was pivotal in his contribution to the rescue of that soccer team trapped in a cave in Thailand. There have been other similar tantrums from Musk in his more business related sphere, so don't be too certain he won't jump ship.

Quote Originally Posted by jklymus View Post
    J.B Pritzker is like a fucking 9 year old that starts trying to change the rules of the game as soon as he starts losing.

‘Worse Than the Disease’: Rauner Blasts Pritzker’s Handling of Coronavirus – NBC Chicago

First it was flatten the curve, then we flattened the curve, then we were at the peak, whoops the peak is actually in may, ope now its mid June, now its about "saving lives"

How many times does this fat fuck have to move the goal post, before someone steps in and tells him he cant keep doing it?

It's unfair to the entire state, I dont care if you're in Chicago, The suburbs, or in the middle of a corn field in the south.

You can't keep people safe, everybody dies, and I'd rather be free than completely safe.
    He's really going to fuck the state economy and a lot of businesses downstate, not to mention make and keep unemployment high there and in the Northeast urban corner by Lake Michigan. What's worse (or better, from a consumer point of view) is that the surrounding states of Missouri, Iowa, Kentucky, and Indiana are reopening. So Illinoisans near the borders will simply drive over the Mississippi or Ohio Rivers and go get what they want already. Nowhere is this more pronounced than South of I-64, where I can drive for 45 minutes and get to KY or MO to get a haircut or sit down to eat in a cafe. Or shop in a store.

Gauleiter Pritzker made much a week or so ago about being in a regional consortium of Midwestern states that had agreed to work together on reopening. He seems to have disavowed that and is now proudly annnouncing this past weekend on the Sunday morning news shows that "Illinois will go it's own way." Which in reality is HIS way, because so many here are clamoring to get on with life and business. Methinks he is angling for higher office and trying to put some shade on Cuomo. Or perhaps trying to really drive the economy bad for that big bailout of the state to include pension debt. As you know, this state has been behind the 8 ball for some time because of bad spending, with huge debt in all areas.

As something of an aside, I think the snarky post by a certain resident of NYC may have revealed another element of the divide over reopening the US economy, both sea to sea and within some states. Urbanites are far more dependent on city services like public transit, police, fire, etc. They don't seem to fend well for themselves, so they have to be obedient sheep and hope for the tender mercies of their shepherd and his herd dogs. Outside the big cities, there's less dependence. Individuals know they need to keep an eye on the weather along with other such things to stay whole both financially and physically. So, as we have seen in this thread, the urban folk don't want to rock the boat and at the same time look down on others who are not similarly inclined.

BBC News:

“By 1 May, the number of deaths announced by the UK government was just over 28,000.

Looking back at death registrations filed by that date, the figure is higher: just over 36,000 death certificates mentioned Covid-19.

The measure preferred by statisticians - all deaths above what would be expected - was even higher: more than 50,000.

This is what’s called in the jargon “all-cause excess mortality”.

It captures the deaths missed by lab testing, the misdiagnosed deaths, and the deaths caused by the strain the virus puts on our society: people not seeking or getting care for other conditions, or people suffering under the lockdown.

Why is this measure better?

It works because the total number of deaths registered in a week normally follows a predictable pattern.

That number has shot up since the middle of March, running far higher than the previous weeks or what would be expected at this time of year.

These 50,745 "extra deaths" are largely attributed to the pandemic.

The total seen so far in this first phase of the epidemic is roughly comparable to the winter of 2017/18, when England and Wales saw approximately 50,000 more deaths than they would ordinarily see during the summer months.”
    Right then. So no worse than 2017/18 WHEN WE ALL CARRIED ON AS “NORMAL” AND DIDN’T CRASH THE WORLD ECONOMY.

This is beyond insanity.

In a way, I admire Spacediver for his desire to be righteous in regards to the law.

That being said, I've never seen someone take a bigger piss up a bigger rope.

My 73yo mother and former nursing home employee observed early on that it is impossible to keep covid out of the homes. Nursing homes use shift labor, have high turnover, and have frequent resident hospitalizations--too much exposure.

Also, all of my modern communication devices have failed to show me a nursing home resident thanking a governor for cancelling their granddaughter's senior prom and graduation to prevent theirs or a neighbor's premature demise. It's a shame those voices are not being heard.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    He's really going to fuck the state economy and a lot of businesses downstate, not to mention make and keep unemployment high there and in the Northeast urban corner by Lake Michigan. What's worse (or better, from a consumer point of view) is that the surrounding states of Missouri, Iowa, Kentucky, and Indiana are reopening. So Illinoisans near the borders will simply drive over the Mississippi or Ohio Rivers and go get what they want already. Nowhere is this more pronounced than South of I-64, where I can drive for 45 minutes and get to KY or MO to get a haircut or sit down to eat in a cafe. Or shop in a store.

Gauleiter Pritzker made much a week or so ago about being in a regional consortium of Midwestern states that had agreed to work together on reopening. He seems to have disavowed that and is now proudly annnouncing this past weekend on the Sunday morning news shows that "Illinois will go it's own way." Which in reality is HIS way, because so many here are clamoring to get on with life and business. Methinks he is angling for higher office and trying to put some shade on Cuomo. Or perhaps trying to really drive the economy bad for that big bailout of the state to include pension debt. As you know, this state has been behind the 8 ball for some time because of bad spending, with huge debt in all areas.

As something of an aside, I think the snarky post by a certain resident of NYC may have revealed another element of the divide over reopening the US economy, both sea to sea and within some states. Urbanites are far more dependent on city services like public transit, police, fire, etc. They don't seem to fend well for themselves, so they have to be obedient sheep and hope for the tender mercies of their shepherd and his herd dogs. Outside the big cities, there's less dependence. Individuals know they need to keep an eye on the weather along with other such things to stay whole both financially and physically. So, as we have seen in this thread, the urban folk don't want to rock the boat and at the same time look down on others who are not similarly inclined.
    I wouldn't rule out him running for higher office. I mean, when you're a blatantly power hungry politician, you have to go all the way to the top right?

It's strange at this point, because he was getting praised by the masses for shutting down when this situation began, but now it looks like the resentment towards him and his policy is growing. The law suits keep coming in every day, republicans are starting to try and pressure him into loosening up, and it looks like the publics positive sentiment for him is starting to flip to negative.

I think the article nailed it with this quote:

“Keeping economy shut (is a) Trifecta for Dems: justification for income tax hike in November, justification for federal bailout of states, (and a) horrible economy for Trump’s re-election,” the former governor said. “We’ve put this problem almost entirely on the backs of our children (who are at virtually no risk from this disease)- trillions in debt they have to pay back, lost jobs and internships, and loss of virtually an entire year of their education when you factor in 'summer loss' and limited internet and enrichment opportunities.”

Its a political stunt under the guise of "public safety"

I've never voted, or even been into politics. Oddly enough, when I started to get into firearms is when I got into politics. But I know for a fact I am voting republican come election time.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post

A Gauleiter was the party leader of a regional branch of the Nazi Party or the head of a Gau or Reichsgau. The word can be singular or plural, depending on its context. Gauleiter was the second highest Nazi Party paramilitary rank, subordinate only to the higher rank Reichsleiter and to the position of Führer.

Nice word choice.

And now this from our pathetic governor in WA:

Restaurants/bars will have to keep a record of patrons by name, contact info, and time spent in establishment. For everyone...all in the name of the greater good!

To reopen, Washington state restaurants will have to keep log of customers to aid in contact tracing for coronavirus | The Seattle Times

Quote Originally Posted by Noah Ebner View Post
    This just in--I was right all along. Where is your micropedantic god now, Shiva?
    Statistical Stomp the Yard and Shiva just got served. Get nerded homie

We discussed that two weeks ago, and no, you were wrong. Your claim:
    They aren't "fixing" shit, they're addressing the criticisms to tell you stats wonks why what you think is a big deal actually isn't. BIG difference.
    Reality: they collected 10x more validation data, and completely replaced the main part of their statistical analysis (the delta method).

You blindly trust headlines and conclusions, oblivious to flaws in the underlying data and analysis. Don't bother me again with your pathetic nonsense.

starting strength coach development program
    And so it starts: "excluding volatile food and energy, prices still fell by 0.4%. That's the largest monthly decline in the so-called core consumer price index since the BLS began tracking the data in 1957."

You know shit has officially gotten real when even CNN has to acknowledge that the sky is indeed falling.

CNN: Prices are tumbling at an alarming rate.
    Prices are tumbling at an alarming rate - CNN