starting strength gym

Thread: Gaining weight for a 59 year old

Default Gaining weight for a 59 year old

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi Rip,

1st thing, thank the Lord i found your YouTube channel and forums , and i thank you.

Right, i am a 59 year old male, who lives in Brighton, England. I was a national 100m sprinter from the age of 11-38, i also played defensive back in the European leagues during the 80s, i represented England in international games during this period. I definitely helped that i lived and trained in Houston for 5 years early to mid 80s, for my football and sprinting skills. I also coached both sprints and D backs for a 10 year period in the 90s.

I have been training the Starting Strength way since mid way through January, when i found you channel. I have found it to be exactly what my old sprint and American football coach used to train me on back in the day.

I weigh in at a "healthyish" 80 kilos and i am 5"9` tall, although i do have all the aches and pains of a 59 year old ex sprinter/football player, i can still carry out the squat, deadlift, bench press, chins and shoulder press to an acceptable standard. I do 3 sessions over a 7 day week, although last week, only 2, due to fatigue.

It`s my weight that gives me a few headaches, i try to eat a well balanced diet, around the 2700-3000 cals a day with about 110 grams of protein. I drink a protein shake 1st thing (4am), before work, but the rest is real food. I was wondering if you would recommend that i drink a weight bulk drink last thing at night, to help my body recover, and hopefully gain a few kilos? or will that be a waste of my hard earned ££s? any other thoughts would be thankfully received. My weight has risen 1.5 kilos in the 2 months i have been training your way.

My 3x5 reps: Squat has gone from a 80k to 110k, deadlift 80k to 120k, bench 65k to 90k, shoulder press 20k to 35k, a max chins of 10 now.

Would really appreciate your thoughts.

kind regards, Malc Hales

First thing, double your protein intake, now. Get your calories up to 3500, now. I think you'll find that things are different next week.

You've heard from Rip, you don't need to hear from me. But I am a busybody and Rip can be a bit brief, so my trainee's perspective is, both your progress in the lifts and your weight gain seem a bit slow for an SS novice who probably has good genes for athleticism and a good deal of muscle memory for strength. I have never been 59 years old, but I bet if you follow Rip's prescription you'll have faster gains. Also you don't mention supplementing with creatine; if you aren't doing it, that would help as well.

And TRT if it's available.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    And TRT if it's available.
    About 500mg a week

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    First thing, double your protein intake, now. Get your calories up to 3500, now. I think you'll find that things are different next week.
    I agree with Rip (age 50 here). Also, I'm skeptical about your sleep if your rising at 4AM. Are you falling asleep at 8PM? If not, you need more sleep. 8 hours a night is not a joke or recommendation but a mandate.