starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm always hot and I think it might be your fault, Mr. Rippetoe

Unhappy I'm always hot and I think it might be your fault, Mr. Rippetoe

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Dear Mr. Rippetoe:

I'm always hot---in the temperature sensation sense. When walking outside in winter, the slightest physical exertion (i.e., that of walking) warms me up enough that I shed all my layers and walk about in a t-shirt. Naturally---as a millennial---this makes me rather anxious: won't everyone think I'm some kind of freak, meandering about in a t-shirt when it's 3C outside? Of course the alternative---continuing to don my clothes, visibly perspire from my face and develop some fierce pit stains is no better in this regard.

Now you may astutely say: well at least it's not a problem in summer, because *everyone* is wearing t-shirts then. But you'd be wrong to say that. In summer problems are worse. In summer, if I sit on a plastic chair and then later stand up, I will leave a 10" long fat sausage of sweat behind on the chair that curiously lines up where my buttcrack just was. Of course, knowing that this will happen gives me anxiety, which then makes me perspire more, increasing both the girth and length of said sweat sausage. In summer, my sweaty ass precludes me from wearing anything but the thinnest of shorts that dry quickly/readily, lest people think the dark, wet circle that forms on the backside of my shorts in proximity to my anus is of a more nefarious origin.

Aside from physical markers of my temperature discomfort, in all of these situations I'm also simply physically uncomfortable as well. I dread winter because regular people here heat everything to 22C or higher. I dread summer because I live in a land of no air conditioning and everything is 22C, all the time.

The reason why I'm writing to you about this is that I'm hoping to commiserate with you about it. See, I think it's likely a product of training and being over 200 lbs (so that I can be a *real* man). All that training and all that extra muscle mass must surely raise my basal metabolic rate which probably increases my heat production. But in reality I don't know jack shit about biology, so maybe you can enlighten me.

You also strike me as someone who most likely suffers from swamp ass---any tips?

Your Pal and Anxious, Sweaty Confidant,
    zft

How old are you?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    How old are you?
    Hopefully you're not saying that patronizingly (but I can see why you would). I'm in my late twenties; been this way since my early twenties (which is when I started lifting as well).

I ask because if you were in your late 70s the situation would be different than late 20s. It's normal for young lifters to operate at exothermic levels. It won't always be this way, so enjoy it while it lasts -- it is a sign of vigor, health, strength, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I ask because if you were in your late 70s the situation would be different than late 20s. It's normal for young lifters to operate at exothermic levels. It won't always be this way, so enjoy it while it lasts -- it is a sign of vigor, health, strength, etc.
    I figured as much. I never thought it of as being physiologically bad, just incredibly socially inconvenient.

But, can we at least ask the board---any advice/wise words to avoid leaving a snail trail of sweat on chairs when you stand-up (i.e., how to address swamp ass)? It can be pretty humiliating in the right circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by zft View Post
    I figured as much. I never thought it of as being physiologically bad, just incredibly socially inconvenient.

But, can we at least ask the board---any advice/wise words to avoid leaving a snail trail of sweat on chairs when you stand-up (i.e., how to address swamp ass)? It can be pretty humiliating in the right circumstances.
    Gold bond’s. The green bottle. Spackle it on your taint generously.

You're probably part of the worried well, but if your heart rate is also high, I'd get checked for hyperthyroidism. If not, don't.

I have had this problem my whole life. I had it long before barbell training when I was under 10% body fat.

I attribute it to the northern genes.

Luckily, there are several solutions:

- Refuse to wear pants for religious or cultural reasons; Kilts really are quite an elegant solution here.

- Lower the office thermostat to 18 degrees.

- Adopt the "Egyptian Method" of sleeping, even during the winter.

- Take advantage of the motorized carts in large stores.

- Garden misters and tubing can be retrofitted to work with kitchen, break room or bathroom faucets.

Hope that helps!

Quote Originally Posted by Soule View Post
    Gold bond’s. The green bottle. Spackle it on your taint generously.
    Gold Bond's Taint Spackle: never walk like you're sitting on a horse again.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by JFord View Post
    You're probably part of the worried well, but if your heart rate is also high, I'd get checked for hyperthyroidism. If not, don't.
    ^^ This

I returned a heart rate monitor because I thought it was faulty but it was my thyroid gland. Old Dr Graves raising his ugly head.
    Worth getting it checked.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast