starting strength gym

Thread: Sean LaDonne: Golf. And Squats

Great article Sean. I can definitely vouch for the power and relevance of squats in the golf swing. I played nine holes on the weekend, which was my first time on the golf course in at least two years. I've never hit the ball longer or more importantly straighter! I could literally feel the stability in my hips and legs, which was clearly enabling me to generate more force and thus more clubhead speed, whilst simultaneously allowing me to return the clubhead to the right spot more often prior to impact with the ball. All in all it was the most enjoyable round of golf I've ever played, and just another reason to be thankful for Starting Strength!

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Reid View Post
    Great article Sean. I can definitely vouch for the power and relevance of squats in the golf swing. I played nine holes on the weekend, which was my first time on the golf course in at least two years. I've never hit the ball longer or more importantly straighter! I could literally feel the stability in my hips and legs, which was clearly enabling me to generate more force and thus more clubhead speed, whilst simultaneously allowing me to return the clubhead to the right spot more often prior to impact with the ball. All in all it was the most enjoyable round of golf I've ever played, and just another reason to be thankful for Starting Strength!
    As someone who was always "weak for my size" but was involved in most sports as a younger man I NEVER understood any of the "doctors," "coaches" or "experts" who did not recommend increased strength (or even goofier, recommended against it) as the best way to improve any sort of physical endeavor. It just seems super obvious. From moving furniture, to shooting freethrows to tackling bigger guys, strength makes it easier.

I'm not speaking against this article, by the way. I'm just explaining my incredulity at its need, as well as the others like it.