starting strength gym
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Head Pressure and Side Effects When Lifting

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    One doesn’t squat without using the quads, but we know ways of squatting that use them less.
    Not saying that it is unused, gentlemen. Just saying that it can be used better.

Learning to breathe deeper had a tremendous effect on my athletic performance, specifically in BJJ. It is an important aspect in that sport and some of the most prolific BJJ players practice diaphragm control. You can observe Rickson Gracie showing his techniques in the documentary “choke” and the second hulk movie. Of course this is anecdotal and my personal experience may differ from yours.

You are correct that the belt inhibits this technique, but the breathing itself should not inhibit abdominal contraction if you squeeze after the breath. Try it and tell me you don’t feel a lot more pressure. Breathe into your balls, let your belly expand and then fill up the chest and squeeze your abs.

But i do agree now that after thinking it over that it is a bad cue during a set and I never actually cue To belly breathe. what i should have asked was what the problem was with teaching someone how to breathe deeper.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I think it's a stupid cue, because if you're thinking about expanding your belly you're going to neglect the ribcage part of the inhalation. I never think about anatomy, or anything except taking the biggest breath I can take, and then a little more.
    It comes from people who want to over complicate as much as possible about lifting. Including breathing and even stance,holy Jesus. His first name starts with C and the last name starts with D.

Quote Originally Posted by Fatfacts25 View Post
    It comes from people who want to over complicate as much as possible about lifting. Including breathing and even stance,holy Jesus. His first name starts with C and the last name starts with D.
    How were there even strong people before the internet?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatfacts25 View Post
    Duffin is a crazy fucker, but you can’t deny that he’s smart as fuck. But he’s not the first guy to come up with “diaphragmatic” breathing. I’ve heard this from navy seals, yogis, BJJ players, and various other sources. If you don’t naturally chest breathe or ever chest breathe under stress then you may not feel a difference.

Definitely my bad for going off on a tangent since this isn’t useful info for belted strength training, but if you want to increase your athletic performance and reduce stress then perhaps learning to “belly breathe” is something you should look into.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123