starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Head Pressure and Side Effects When Lifting

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Get a coach well versed in SS and either pay them or work out a trade of some kind. It’s the lack of oxygen that causes the stuff you mentioned. Take a huge breath and force it into your lungs. FORCE!!! Cue yourself with one word phrases. Remember to take a breath every time BEFORE you start each REP. EACH REP!!! HUGE BREATH!!!!! And don’t rush the set. Take your time to get a breath and get tight.

I had the same issue a few weeks ago, do as Rip says as it helped me. Take air into your belly and hold the air in with your mouth open, if you had to close your mouth to hold the air you are doing it wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by jddichello View Post
    I had the same issue a few weeks ago, do as Rip says as it helped me. Take air into your belly and hold the air in with your mouth open, if you had to close your mouth to hold the air you are doing it wrong.
    “Air into the belly” besides being anatomically impossible is the wrong thing to think about.

Yeah. I get tired of fighting with the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Soule View Post
    You do these things and you’re going to have a wonderful life, full of gains and fine, appreciative women.
    *men.

You'll get a lot of men. Let's not lie to him.

Quote Originally Posted by Satch12879 View Post
    “Air into the belly” besides being anatomically impossible is the wrong thing to think about.
    Can you explain why you think this is a bad cue? Diaphragmatic breathing is a real thing and some of us developed a habit of taking shallow breaths or chest breathing from a young age.

I personally didn’t understand the belly breathing thing at first, but with practice it has changed the way i breath.

Yeah, you don’t actually breath air into your belly, but you can learn to breathe deeper with the diaphragm. You may already do this naturally and never had to train it. Anxious/stressed people oftentimes chest breath. Some people suck in their gut constantly until it becomes ingrained. Ask a bodybuilder or a yogi.

I think it's a stupid cue, because if you're thinking about expanding your belly you're going to neglect the ribcage part of the inhalation. I never think about anatomy, or anything except taking the biggest breath I can take, and then a little more.

Roger that coach. After thinking it over, what I do is teach how to breath into the balls then expand up into the chest when explaining the valsalva. my verbal cues are the same as yours during the lifts. Big air, big breath, etc.

Sometimes I’ll get a trainee who was taught how to chest breath and constantly suck in the gut from pilates and it really doesn’t look like they get as much air as they could.

Quote Originally Posted by Soule View Post
    Can you explain why you think this is a bad cue? Diaphragmatic breathing is a real thing and some of us developed a habit of taking shallow breaths or chest breathing from a young age.

I personally didn’t understand the belly breathing thing at first, but with practice it has changed the way i breath.

Yeah, you don’t actually breath air into your belly, but you can learn to breathe deeper with the diaphragm. You may already do this naturally and never had to train it. Anxious/stressed people oftentimes chest breath. Some people suck in their gut constantly until it becomes ingrained. Ask a bodybuilder or a yogi.
    As Rip said; it puts the focus in the wrong place. If you think about "filling your belly with air" or something like that, what comes along is distension of the abdomen. If you're wearing a belt, causes your to push your gut against the belt. Neither of those things are behaviors we want because it limits isometric contraction of the abdominal muscle. And if the abdominal muscles aren't in isometric contraction, they aren't holding the spine in place. If the spine isn't held in position, you get an inefficient transmission of force from the bar down.

I also don't understand how one breathes without using the diaphragm.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Satch12879 View Post
    I also don't understand how one breathes without using the diaphragm.
    Nobody does.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast