starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Head Pressure and Side Effects When Lifting

Question Head Pressure and Side Effects When Lifting

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello, Mr. Rippetoe. I'm 15 and I started your program just three months ago and I have to say I've been making a lot of progress. However, recently, I've noticed that during lifts I can get a lot of head pressure, red eyes, a flushed face, and even feeling like I need to throw up sometimes during reps. To clarify, today I went in and, while squatting, my vision became a little blurry and my eyes became noticeably bloodshot. Later, while bracing for the press, I even felt like I blanked out for half a second, as though I was to pass out, though, then again, I've never passed out so I wouldn't be able to tell you what that feels like. Point is, during many of my lifts I get visibly red, my eyes become bloodshot, the pressure in my head increases a lot, and sometimes I even feel somewhat nauseous from these. I'm not overweight and don't have any health problems, though I have been fairly inactive and unathletic, never being very interested by sports. This doesn't happen every day so I'm wondering if it doesn't have to do with my gym's temperature, which, for some reason, the heater is still on. I was also wondering if this could be happening due to somewhat shallow breaths so next time I go I'll make sure to take deeper, larger breaths. Thank you!

Take your big breath and hold it with your mouth open. I'll bet you're trying to hold it in your mouth now, which causes all kids of bad problems.

Thank you for responding! I'm still a little confused though on what you mean. I've browsed around some more and seen people saying to hold the breath in your lungs and not your mouth, but how would I go about blocking the air in with my mouth open?

Try it. You can learn.

Quote Originally Posted by Roman Messali View Post
    Thank you for responding! I'm still a little confused though on what you mean. I've browsed around some more and seen people saying to hold the breath in your lungs and not your mouth, but how would I go about blocking the air in with my mouth open?
    Think about taking a hard shit.

You are welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by JFord View Post
    Think about taking a hard shit.

You are welcome.
    He’s 15, doc. He’s never had to struggle with grown man hard shit problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Soule View Post
    He’s 15, doc. He’s never had to struggle with grown man hard shit problems.
    Lol. Then I got nothin’.

If I'm feeling a lot of side effects from the increase in pressure, how would purposefully increasing the pressure and tension help? Wouldn't I just be straining, making it worse?

Have you read the book?

starting strength coach development program
    Listen to me, young padawan: read the book, Do the program, get interested in sports and listen to Professor Rip.

You do these things and you’re going to have a wonderful life, full of gains and fine, appreciative women.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast