starting strength gym

Thread: New Nike Deadlift Shoe

Default New Nike Deadlift Shoe

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Dear Rip,

I find the rigorous in-depth technical detail of the blue book particularly interesting. On that basis:

I’ve heard it rumoured that Nike are bringing out their latest weightlifting shoe the Romaleos 4 with two metatarsal straps as opposed to the previous iteration’s one metatarsal strap. This is a very significant departure from their spec. The Rogue Do Wins currently have two metatarsal straps.

Which do you think is the superior option technically for weightlifting shoe - one or two metatarsal straps and why?

Very best,

Robin

One strap, across the instep and arch. What function does a second strap serve, except to look expensive?

Why is it so hard to find a 1/2 heel shoe?
    Why the hate?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    One strap, across the instep and arch. What function does a second strap serve, except to look expensive?
    Thanks for the clarification Rip, much appreciated.

“Extra Stabilisation” the marketing / advertising people trumpet. Therein lies (literally) the problem. I actually noticed on the weightlifting shoes with two straps that they are actually placed either side of the dead centre middle of the foot, thereby actually missing the optimum pressure point for stability. Extremely disappointing that elite brands like Nike are even making a mess of physics. If the Starting Strength Weightlifting shoe ever makes it to market, that will be a happy day.

Best,

Robin

Quote Originally Posted by MAD9692 View Post
    Why is it so hard to find a 1/2 heel shoe?
    Why the hate?
    MAD9692

Because the the majority of shoe manufacturers in this niche clearly are (a) stupid re. Physics (b) don’t deem it profitable enough to manufacture zero net heel and half inch net heels - which is a shame - because I believe there is a profitable market for it. But Lone Wolves who are in the loop are rarely listened to - audience is given to shareholders and Advertising department execs who are tasked with creating new shiny markets based on (usually) lies for profit gain - whether the new product is inferior or no better than the old one or not.

A 3/4" wooden heel can be taken down to your desired height by a good cobbler. Just make sure you explain if you want 1/2" to be the actual height or the effective height. I know that many lifting shoes out there today aren't a wooden heel, however.

Agreed that the market is pretty much just 3/4" right now.

The adidas powerlift 4 has a 5/8 heel. I have been using those for about 6 months and love them. I removed the insole. I was holding out for Rips shoe but it doesn't look like that's going to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by BareSteel View Post
    A 3/4" wooden heel can be taken down to your desired height by a good cobbler. Just make sure you explain if you want 1/2" to be the actual height or the effective height. I know that many lifting shoes out there today aren't a wooden heel, however.

Agreed that the market is pretty much just 3/4" right now.
    Yes^. And I'll add...

All the (cheap) Adidas Powerlifts have a monolithic block of high density foam in their heel/outsole.
    Its easy to take that out completely and get a "zero" drop shoe for deadlifts, or if you like that kind of thing for squatting.

Those are only listed at 5/8" inch heel height anyways. (0.6" in some places).
    Any be aware those heel height specs vary from shoe size to shoe size.
    Some manufacturers (try to) maintain that same angle across the array of sizes in the shoe.
    Usually a size 9 or 10 is what that "Eff. Heel Height" is based off of for the line of shoes.
    Point is, could be apples to oranges comparisons.

I doubt many could perceive the difference between 5/8" and 3/4" or 5/8" to 1/2".

The Powerlift 4's are sale right now for 62 USD (for the black model. You have to click on black)
    Adidas Powerlift 4 - Men's - Black | Rogue Fitness
    These are very easy to modify.
    They have one strap. Appears to be in a good spot.

starting strength coach development program
    Inov8 fastlifts have a 16.5 mm heel. Pretty close to half an inch