starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Starting Strength Franchise Gyms are closed

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by moreplatesplease View Post
    Is there any way people can donate a lesser amount, not even to become an SSC online client, but just to help out the SSCs in any way possible?
    I just wanted to add my voice to this question -- that is, if I am not silenced for my insolence in the Covid-19 discussion -- this doesn't need to be public, anyway. I think there are a lot of is out here -- even those of us who have occasionally disagreed with Rip, who have benefitted greatly over the years from this board and the work of the community that surrounds StartingStrength -- and who see it in our interest for the Starting Strength Franchise to make it through this time.

My thinking was setting up some sort of fund we could contribute to with the promise that if things open up before it is needed or if the government steps in with funds to businesses forced to close, you could just distribute anything left over to the list of contributors.

I'm mainly saying, it's clearly going to be a heavy lift, here -- it's great to see that the gyms are already trying to deliver their services in other ways, but it will take a lot and I would be happy to drop $50 immediately (not much, but I'm out of work too, so it is all relative) to a fund that would help all affiliate and franchise gyms make it through this time. If I just think how much I have benefitted from the programs and discussion, I would probably eventually come up with more...

good luck to starting strength gyms and all gyms across the country

Is there any way people can donate a lesser amount, not even to become an SSC online client, but just to help out the SSCs in any way possible?
    Thanks for your generosity. We'll let you know if this becomes necessary. I hope it doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Thanks for your generosity. We'll let you know if this becomes necessary. I hope it doesn't.
    No problem. Rip, you and the Starting Strength team have given the community so much, it's the least we can do in a time like this for the SSCs who give out free content, advice and form critiques to help us.

Ray Gillenwater is offline Administrator, Starting Strength Gyms
    Starting Strength Coach

Gratitude and appreciation to you all for being so supportive during this precarious situation. THANK YOU.

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie View Post
    Good luck everyone
    Quote Originally Posted by novicejay View Post
    Signing up for this. Great idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by RKC View Post
    Can I put a plug in for Jared Nessland in Colorado with SS Denver? I was a little leery of online coaching (I live in Idaho). But he’s been amazing to work with! I paid thru August and will pay again for 6 months after that.

His coaching has made all the difference!
    Quote Originally Posted by tallison View Post
    My thinking was setting up some sort of fund we could contribute to with the promise that if things open up before it is needed or if the government steps in with funds to businesses forced to close, you could just distribute anything left over to the list of contributors.
    Quote Originally Posted by cole205 View Post
    good luck to starting strength gyms and all gyms across the country
    No problem. Rip, you and the Starting Strength team have given the community so much, it's the least we can do in a time like this for the SSCs who give out free content, advice and form critiques to help us.

Starting Strength Coach

It looks like the gyms will be closed until at least April 30, 2020.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Gillenwater View Post
    It looks like the gyms will be closed until at least April 30, 2020.
    It appears online training might have to go on for a while and maybe even past that date so I think a lot of us should start signing up for online coaching.

If you are on the fence about this, I just wanted to relay my experience.

I have been following SS for a long time now.

I've read the books, bought the dvd a long time ago when it came out, etc. I videoed myself and watched it and compared it to the videos of good squats.

I thought I was squatting right.

It took one look at my video to figure out what I was doing was wrong when I signed up for the online coaching.

It's frustrating but nice to have a coach tell me how to do it correctly.

I'm old so I was following one of the methods in the books about squatting just twice a week. Coach Carter already has me squatting three times a week and I'm okay (I didn't think I could squat 3 times a week and recover).

Training is one of the best things we can do for our mental health right now and passing money around the economy is another great way to help our fellow Americans so if you can do it and didn't get fired already, I encourage you to do so.

I hope it doesn't, but if the virus goes on for months (and you might have some people reluctant to train with others until we get a vaccine), it seems online training is the way to go. A lot of bjj and judo clubs have already done this.

I just wanted to pass on my experience with online training if some of you out there are on the fence about it, it has been great.

Seconded.

IPB

Ray doesn't really know about us or deal with us but all the Starting Strength affiliate gyms are closed too. If your a member of any of these affiliates help them out if you can. Our clients have been very supportive at Janecek Strength and we made sure from day one we put everything in our first couple years into an emergency fund for a time like this so we've dug our feet in and refuse to quit.

Those of who are looking for equipment (which is as scarce as toilet paper) Grant at the strength co is making some really nice metal squat stands he's selling while his affiliate is closed.

Starting Strength Coach

starting strength coach development program
    All- Here's an excerpt you might be interested in from our latest newsletter to franchise prospects:

But what can we do to thrive once the country re-opens? Yesterday our rulers decreed that we may be able to open our "non-essential" businesses soon - depending on the city and state. Sarcasm aside, we now at least have a clear indication of how the gyms will be required to operate once they do open. Read more, here.

The bad news? Dates will vary state by state and potentially so will each Governor's approach to implementation.

The good news? When you squat on your own platform in a Starting Strength Gym, you are adhering to "strict physical distancing" automatically. And all we have in our gyms are platforms - no treadmills, exercise bikes, or yoga mats. In addition to that, we have no more than 75 people in the gym on a given day - and no more than 15 at a time (which may be reduced to 10). My point? Starting Strength Gyms will become some of the most "post-Covid" friendly gyms in the country. We plan on communicating this in our marketing.

Instead of focusing on the risks of the unknown, we are going to spend our time getting creative, having fun, and figuring out how to turn this problem into an opportunity. Other than that, the other most useful way to spend our time right now is by getting stronger so that our bodies are better prepared to fight off a Covid-induced cytokine storm. The "stronger people are harder to kill" message has never been as painfully obvious as it is now.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast