starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UK Government closes gyms

Default UK Government closes gyms

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    it happened. I got an email from my local gym, so that's that. Got to figure out if I can fit a cage into the house if this is going to be long term.

If you can't, this is by Andy Baker, just for this situation:

YouTube

Obviously not ideal, but it's better than not doing anything, and becoming even more detrained and our of shape.

Default Outdoor gyms

Quote Originally Posted by Nockian View Post
    it happened. I got an email from my local gym, so that's that. Got to figure out if I can fit a cage into the house if this is going to be long term.
    Depending on where you are in the UK you may be able to find an outdoor gym, which, if combined with a bit of resistance band work, is better than nothing.

Used my local one yesterday. Upper body push/pull and abs will be ok - chins, pull-ups, dips, L-sits, leg raises. Lower body less good - body-weight squats, step-ups, banded pull-throughs and band RDLs.

Good luck!

I didn't watch the video so sorry if this is redundant. Gym closures aren't the end of training. Maybe we can't do everything we want but we can do what we can. Get a chin up bar and make or buy a dip stand. It doesn't have to be the best one money can buy, it just has to work. You can buy both for under $100. Put anything you want in a backpack for extra weight. Become an expert at weighted dips, chins and pushups. Make a sandbag. Press it, shoulder it, carry it...whatever. Do hanging leg raises from your chin up bar. Bands are relatively cheap so get a few different resistance levels. You can do a million things with bands and a little imagination.

Be vigilant about your diet, keep training hard and make it work. This ain't nothing. Best wishes.

Quote Originally Posted by QuinceTree View Post
    Depending on where you are in the UK you may be able to find an outdoor gym, which, if combined with a bit of resistance band work, is better than nothing.

Used my local one yesterday. Upper body push/pull and abs will be ok - chins, pull-ups, dips, L-sits, leg raises. Lower body less good - body-weight squats, step-ups, banded pull-throughs and band RDLs.

Good luck!
    Unfortunately Mr Boreees has now closed outdoor gyms :-/ and all the shops :-/ :-/.

I'm really hoping he isn't closing the car dealerships because I have a brand new car in for warranty work :-/ :-/ :-/

I'm sick of this shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Nockian View Post
    Unfortunately Mr Boreees has now closed outdoor gyms :-/ and all the shops :-/ :-/.

I'm really hoping he isn't closing the car dealerships because I have a brand new car in for warranty work :-/ :-/ :-/

I'm sick of this shit.
    Yep... so it's back garden with some resistance bands and push-ups with feet on the stairs.

Maybe I'll get some abzzzz?...

(I suspect you may have to wait a bit for your car as well, unfortunately)

And as of yesterday, the courageous UK closed everything.

Quote Originally Posted by QuinceTree View Post
    Yep... so it's back garden with some resistance bands and push-ups with feet on the stairs.

Maybe I'll get some abzzzz?...

(I suspect you may have to wait a bit for your car as well, unfortunately)
    I'm doing Andys corona regime. Puffing like an old steam engine. I've had to improvise most of the equipment which took a bit of thinking and effort. Pull up bar works reasonably well but it isn't static so makes things slightly more difficult.

Got the car back today. The lady on service reception phoned me first thing and suggested I get my ass down to the dealer sharpish because the directors were discussing closure. It's a three mile walk-so that was my outdoor exercise quota filled.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    And as of yesterday, the courageous UK closed everything.
    Apparently we can afford to crash our crappy, debt laden, broken economy and everything will be just peachy.....relax, the Government said so :-/

The whole world is just as cowardly and corrupt as the UK. Can't really pick on you guys.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    The whole world is just as cowardly and corrupt as the UK. Can't really pick on you guys.
    We are pretty good at picking on ourselves.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast