starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deadlift-only workout -- what will go wrong?

Default Deadlift-only workout -- what will go wrong?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I have a bar and some weights (just in excess of my current pr -- working on buying some more) but:

- low ceiling - no overhead work possible
    - no rack or bench - squats and bp won't really be possible
    - I'm 55, so I haven't been doing power cleans, but could try them -- but they don't drive strength, anyway, right?

I was thinking I might could keep up some general strength by keeping at the deadlift during this period of house arrest, but I was curious how to program it and whether it is enough or I should add something else like front squats or rows or something...

Just thought I'd post this here since I am guessing everybody is trying to adapt their workouts to the restrictions of the times.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

It may be the best you can do, which is better than nothing.

I would try to floor press. Might need to set the barbell up on blocks, but should be doable and you can still get it quite heavy. Rows and chins are easy to add in. If you have dumbbells, could get some overhead pressing work down while sitting down. But definitely floor press.

Maybe it's dumb, but if no barbell pressing is possible, what about a few push ups ? It's not going to make you strong, but it can help you retain some muscle mass during the quarantine.

You do do a seated press, sometimes called a “Z” press. Better than not pressing.

Was thinking deads, seated press, rows in between deadlift sessions if you want

Quote Originally Posted by JohnKreg View Post
    I was thinking I might could keep up some general strength by keeping at the deadlift during this period of house arrest, but I was curious how to program it and whether it is enough or I should add something else like front squats or rows or something...
    Yes, of course you should deadlift and do some rows and maybe some front squats with what you can clean. Maybe some high-volume curls with the empty bar. Supplement it with some of the shut-in exercises and conditioning so popular on You Tube at the moment.

Think of all the poor fools stuck at home doing milk jug presses who would be delighted to have your bar and plates. They envy you.

Trap bar deadlifts can be done in a form similar to a squat. I know it’s not a real squat but I use them for light days with a lot of weight. It’s kind of a hybrid exercise but better than nothing on my opinion.

And floor presses off a couple stacked pallets, the pallets are. If enough you can’t miss them and the crakes between the boards will keep the bar from rolling when you set it down

Yes, I do feel distinctly lucky with the equipment -- and you all have definitely made me realize that there are more options than I had considered in the cramped space. Many thanks. I think I can sort a version of everything but heavy back squats -- something to look forward to when the gyms are open, again.

@Steve: what would be the virtue of multiple empty bar curls, exactly? Just fun?

Again, thanks for the suggestions -- will be giving supine presses from the floor a shot, later today.

starting strength coach development program
    I have no idea how my phone messed up my previous post that badly

Lol English is my first language

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast