starting strength gym

Thread: I haven't set a PR in a long time, no longer training, just exercising

Default I haven't set a PR in a long time, no longer training, just exercising

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I just read this article, it really hit home

The Minimum Effective Dose of Training | Mark Rippetoe

Particularly this : "If you train by yourself and you haven't set a PR in a long time, you're no longer training, you're just exercising"

Im entering my 4th year of barbell training. The 1st year is where i saw all my gains (3 months NLP, 8 weeks TM, 14 weeks HLM and a SS seminar). I went to a meet in 2017 and improved in another one in 2018. My 3rd year stagnated, i was doing some of that high volume low intensity programming you referenced in the article ie: 5-7 sets of squats monday, 5-7 sets of DL tues, bench everyday....I never got hurt but i mentally burned out every 6-8 weeks and would switch things up.

To sum up, i havent made any gains lately bc ive just been exercising with no consistency of training towards a goal. im now in the position that if i were to try an intensity day 5RM that i hit 3 years ago, i might get 2 or 3 reps of that.

My question to you Rip is: what would you recommend (besides paid coaching) my 1st step be to get back on track and set PRs again? should i start a new LP at a lighter weight? or should i go to an intermediate programming? (i havent had any breaks in training in 4 years but like i said ive actually lost strength)

thank you sir,

Cole

Start a new LP at a valid weight, and go on up.

Thank you sir, just finished week 2 of my LP#2 (forgot how fun it was)

Going forward im not going to deviate from the intermediate programming that is laid out in PPST (no more self programming or RPE/ high volume...im not as smart as i thought i was)

for a late 30s guy who wants to set PRs would you recommend doing TM again as well? would you advise rotating between TM and an HLM (like on pg 163 PPST)? should i spend more time on one or the other?

im trying to lay out a new model for long term progression using intermediate type programming

thank you,

cole

36 yrs, 5'11 220
    squat 5RM - 405
    bench 5RM - 315
    DL 5RM - 425

Your height, age, bodyweight and 5RMs match mine before I decided to re-LP and gain more weight. I, like you have done TM in the past as well as fucked around with that RPE and volume shite.

If you have no reason not to, I think pushing up your bodyweight while on LP will get you someplace new and exciting with strength training. I think at 36 we can still get away with getting much bigger, with plenty enough time to be able to trim back down before the middle age years roll round and everything is harder.

On the TM thing, I’ve just tried it and burned out, but that was a programming issue and so I’m regaining my PBs on a short LP (nearly there) and I’ll programme more sensibly. I personally think I can still take a bit of TM so long as I have few other major stresses.

At this age 4 day TM works incredibly well. Use the samples that Andy laid out. When you run one out, reset and try another version. You'll continue to progress as expected. MED.