starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SS Radio #50: The War on Death

Excellent discussion and Stef nailed it. FWIW there are no grey areas. Someone who suspects they have a transmissible disease and continues to mix with others is acting irrationally by effectively initiating force against others-this is the area in which a Government can and should act. No one has a right to demand, or to expect others sacrifice their lives and happiness for them. If some people want to cower in their homes, they have the right to do so, but they cannot demand that the healthy give up their lives and stay sealed up to protect them.

What we have here is altruism's ugly mug masquerading as something noble. It's why every discussion seems to include an attempt to shame those wanting to be free by accusing them of wanting to kill old people. There is an equivocation on the concept of saving "lives". This treats human life as homogenous like a field of wheat stalks, where as "life" for man requires more than simply existing vs not existing. Each life has a value, but unless man has the freedom to act rationally, to think, to produce, then that life is diminished to the point of being valueless. Those who demand others give up their freedom to act are initiating force against peaceful people and I expect to see a sharp rise in suicide, alcoholism, drug use, depression and crime as a result.

"Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing." Redd Foxx

Not quite the same with this mass insanity on the order of another pretty good movie with Oliver Reed, "The Devils", but reasonably close. Except in the movie, the real historical culprit for the "witchcraft" were delusions produced by ergot fungus on the wheat crop.

38:20: "This is a cost that our betters in the government have imposed on us with no thought whatsoever as to the consequences of their actions."

^This is the core thought, I think, in the strong emotional reaction amongst dissenters to the measures that are being taken against the spread of COVID-19 -- and it is dead wrong.

I think maybe you all in rural Texas are blighted with some fairly simple minds in the public sector, but I can guarantee you that minds with intellects *even superior to your own* have struggled mightily with the downstream effects of these policies and reluctantly come to the conclusions we see playing out before us.

This is absolutely true.

Quote Originally Posted by tallison View Post
    38:20: "This is a cost that our betters in the government have imposed on us with no thought whatsoever as to the consequences of their actions."

^This is the core thought, I think, in the strong emotional reaction amongst dissenters to the measures that are being taken against the spread of COVID-19 -- and it is dead wrong.

I think maybe you all in rural Texas are blighted with some fairly simple minds in the public sector, but I can guarantee you that minds with intellects *even superior to your own* have struggled mightily with the downstream effects of these policies and reluctantly come to the conclusions we see playing out before us.
    You simply don't comprehend that large swaths of the US are not NYC, not Berlin, and NOT awash with major urban centers packed tightly together like much of the EU. Most of the red counties in the US have a very low population density and are a MUCH lower risk for rapid spread of contagion of anything. Even this pandademic of the Kung Flu.

But what has been imposed on so many of the states assumes that population density is high. That is just one of the fallacies of the current fixation by government on mass penning up of sheep. Much like the Brits tried to do in South Africa during the Boer War.

When neither you nor anyone in your older generations has a memory of bombs being dropped on the city you live in, it's easy to confuse a warning siren for a nuisance.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    You simply don't comprehend that large swaths of the US are not NYC, not Berlin, and NOT awash with major urban centers packed tightly together like much of the EU. Most of the red counties in the US have a very low population density and are a MUCH lower risk for rapid spread of contagion of anything. Even this pandademic of the Kung Flu.

But what has been imposed on so many of the states assumes that population density is high. That is just one of the fallacies of the current fixation by government on mass penning up of sheep. Much like the Brits tried to do in South Africa during the Boer War.
    That's some pretty uninformed armchair epidemiology, there, Hurling. Turns out, for example, that the 1918 flu epidemic was MUCH deadlier in rural as opposed to urban settings. In general, the rural population is probably older and more likely to get together in large groups and spit in each others face (sing) and rub hands and hug (i.e., church) than their city cousins. Even in the most rural states, the populations are concentrated in cities. Another thing to consider is healthcare infrastructure -- it's sparse and only been getting sparser, of late -- when everybody in a state has to travel 200 miles to concentrate all the illness in one place, that's both more likely to lead to bad outcomes (for lack of access) and sets up one hell of a petri dish to be managed by medical professionals doing their time to work off their loans before they can go elsewhere to really get their careers started or those who couldn't get a job elsewhere (there are always exceptions, but at this level of analysis, we're just talking probabilities). I don't know how all of this shakes out -- I am *not* an epidemiologist -- but I would say there might be reason for concern, here.

I think people get confused when they see all the rich city folk running to the countryside. It IS true that isolation is easier to effect in a rural setting -- but unless you have enough wealth to be self-sufficient in your country estate/compound, the lack of services and continued need to congregate with your fellows do not necessarily make it the better option.

That's some pretty uninformed armchair epidemiology, there, Hurling. Turns out, for example, that the 1918 flu epidemic was MUCH deadlier in rural as opposed to urban settings. In general, the rural population is probably older and more likely to get together in large groups and spit in each others face (sing) and rub hands and hug (i.e., church) than their city cousins. .
    That's some pretty uninformed armchair epidemiology there, Tallison. Show us your data for the way rural people all over the world behave in groups.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    That's some pretty uninformed armchair epidemiology there, Tallison. Show us your data for the way rural people all over the world behave in groups.
    More "uninformed cultural anthropology" -- where *do* your bible thumpers live, these days? The 1918 result is an easy Google away -- though the dichotomy was mostly attributed to city-folks immune systems not being as naive as their country cousins -- not sure that works on in the case of Covid-19.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast