starting strength gym

Thread: Rip's Thoughts On Hack Squat And Jefferson Deadlifts - Starting Strength Radio Clips

Default Rip's Thoughts On Hack Squat And Jefferson Deadlifts - Starting Strength Radio Clips

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024

Trained at a friend of mine's garage today, hes got a bar, 10x45lb and 2x25lb plates. In the era of COVID this garage is a godsend.
    Squats are out of the question so I gave a 315 hack squat a go. Most awkward shit ever. Also my ass is apparently too big and prevents a full ROM.
    My buddy tried it (short-armed stereotypical thick powerlifting guy) and the issue was even more apparent. It got stuck on his lower hamstring before he could lock out.

But in all seriousness, I feel as though a hack squat is kind of redundant. It simply felt like a shitty way to deadlift and is a pain in the ass with some body types. And I'd rather just deadlift. Which I did.

Thought you might find this mildly entertaining.

It's entertaining. I'd like to see the whole thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaimi Kuenzli View Post
    Trained at a friend of mine's garage today, hes got a bar, 10x45lb and 2x25lb plates. In the era of COVID this garage is a godsend.
    Squats are out of the question so I gave a 315 hack squat a go. Most awkward shit ever. Also my ass is apparently too big and prevents a full ROM.
    My buddy tried it (short-armed stereotypical thick powerlifting guy) and the issue was even more apparent. It got stuck on his lower hamstring before he could lock out.

But in all seriousness, I feel as though a hack squat is kind of redundant. It simply felt like a shitty way to deadlift and is a pain in the ass with some body types. And I'd rather just deadlift. Which I did.
    I was lucky enough to get some used plates this past weekend. No rack yet, so I've been limited to deadlifts, clean and presses, and weighted pushups. I also tried some zercher squats, just for something different. Pulled the bar past my knees and rested it on my quads to get my elbows under it. It's a ridiculous exercise, hard on the elbows, and potentially bad for the back, but it did seem like it offered a little more hip drive than say, a front squat. I also tried doing back squats with a weight that I could clean and press and then settle onto my back, and had my wife load extra plates on the bar once I had it in place. Would not recommend. Maybe if you could get two people to load simultaneously, it would work. Anyway, more reason to build a rack.

On the upside, I've finally quit fucking around and learned to clean.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt James View Post
    I was lucky enough to get some used plates this past weekend. No rack yet, so I've been limited to deadlifts, clean and presses, and weighted pushups. I also tried some zercher squats, just for something different. Pulled the bar past my knees and rested it on my quads to get my elbows under it. It's a ridiculous exercise, hard on the elbows, and potentially bad for the back, but it did seem like it offered a little more hip drive than say, a front squat. I also tried doing back squats with a weight that I could clean and press and then settle onto my back, and had my wife load extra plates on the bar once I had it in place. Would not recommend. Maybe if you could get two people to load simultaneously, it would work. Anyway, more reason to build a rack.

On the upside, I've finally quit fucking around and learned to clean.
    Yeah, my friend tried a few zerchers and based on how that went, I declined. I suppose I'll just deadlift or RDL for lower body. Cleans and rows for a 'light pull' day.
    For squats, even though I have two training partners, I wouldn't try to load a squat while it's on someone's back. While it's probably possible, we would have to do it very carefully time and time again. Not worth the risk, IMO. I'll just wait 26 more days til the gym (allegedly) opens again and I can squat in a rack.

Good luck with your training!