starting strength gym

Thread: Chins without a bar

Default Chins without a bar

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi Coach. Let me know what you think of this method of doing chins when no bar is available. I assume it places more load on the biceps, which is a smaller muscle group than the lats. There is also friction added by dragging the knees along the door. However, I surprisingly achieved 11 reps when my previous best on proper chins was 9 reps a few weeks ago. Is there any better way of doing this?

YouTube

They look just like chins. What are the handles/straps?

Lashing straps, pvc nipples, and a dowel. Loop the straps over the dowel, toss it over the door then close the door. The dowel stops the straps from pulling through. My doors seem like a cheap composite material but held my 93 kg no problem.

I think doing chins this way is a little easier at the top of the rep, because I'm almost resting on my elbows which are supported directly under my hands. Anyway, my rack should be ready in 5 days, so I only need to do this 1 more time.

Ah, supine grip door humpers. Watch out for splinters!

Really creative solution, nice stuff.

As far as mechanics are concerned, one difference that comes to mind is this:

In a regular chin-up, the head has to clear the bar, and in order for that to happen, part of the lifter's mass is behind the bar (head, neck, upper arms, portion of torso).

In order for things to remain in balance, the lower body must rotate forward of the bar, and when this happens, there is a shift in the musculature involved that does the work (in an extreme case, you'd be in front-lever like position, and the the motion would be more like a horizontal pull).

But in your case, the door prevents your lower body from rotating forward, so your torso is more upright than it might be in a regular chin-up.

Yes, I feel tilting under the bar somehow makes it harder. Another reason this is easier is the separate handles which allow the hands to twist towards slightly towards neutral position.

I've done this before just by tying knots in a couple of towels and throwing them over the top of a door. Added an interesting grip challenge, but I'd imagine that with your set up the handles may want to spin, which would also challenge the grip.

starting strength coach development program
    Ive done chins and pullups like this and somehow being able to push against the door with elbows makes you a little stronger, as you have divined. But its not a big deal. Looks like a good workaround.