starting strength gym
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: House Arrest Skills - Choosing the Right Handgun Caliber

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Gregory View Post
    Robert, I'm only out to about 500yds at this point, but working on longer if/when the 1000yd range south of us has a free stall (rare these days). Apart from the gym, that's my therapy.
    What do you use? I'm at about 100 yards but also would like to work towards the 500 and eventually 1000 yards.

Quote Originally Posted by Soule View Post
    I should have said budget nice. Maybe ~1k or so. Any opinion on windham weaponry?
    Windham is solid. The owners are originally associated with Bushmaster....then got screwed in the Remington/Freedom Group takeover. Bushmaster went to shit after they sold out, but Windham makes good stuff, generally speaking. There are more expensive rifles out there, but for a solid complete rifle Windham is good. Stag is another good brand in that same price range, or BCM (little more $$).

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    What do you use? I'm at about 100 yards but also would like to work towards the 500 and eventually 1000 yards.
    I've got a Bergara HMR-14 in 6.5 Creedmoor, Leupold VX-3I optics, cheap bipod, suppressor on the way. All in, I've probably got about $2200 into the rig without the suppressor, and it works as well as my friend's high-test 338 lapua setup, plus I get to watch his wallet catch fire every range day. 6.5 is about $1.50 a pill and the ballistic profile is outstanding, supersonic out to around 1200yds and just consistent as can be. There are a bunch of great options out there, this was kind of that butter zone of (actual) bang for the buck. I like Bergara, Savage, and Ruger for LRP rifles from mass producers, Surgeon if you're feeling spendy. Happy hunting!

MG

Quote Originally Posted by sniperfrog View Post
    I have a couple rifles chambered in 223 Wylde. It was designed by Bill Wylde to shoot longer, heavier bullets at higher velocity’s more accurately for long range highpower competition. The Wylde chamber is similar to 556 NATO except the throat is tighter and a little longer.
    You can shoot 556 in a Wylde chamber with no issues. As far as it being more accurate I don’t think an AR is a platform that can really show a significant difference.
    I should have specified in my post that I was comparing the 556 NATO to the 223 Remington.
    There at least a dozen variations of chambers designed to shoot more accurately or more reliably with different spec ammo.
    Do you like the .223 Wylde’s you have? I haven’t shot mine yet, but thought it was an interesting concept, and at the time it was priced well... just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by RKC View Post
    Do you like the .223 Wylde’s you have? I haven’t shot mine yet, but thought it was an interesting concept, and at the time it was priced well... just curious.
    I like the Wylde chamber design. I have shot plenty of 556 through them with no problems. I would buy another, in fact I’m looking at Criterion’s new Core series barrels that use a Wylde chamber.

Quote Originally Posted by sniperfrog View Post
    I like the Wylde chamber design. I have shot plenty of 556 through them with no problems. I would buy another, in fact I’m looking at Criterion’s new Core series barrels that use a Wylde chamber.
    Excellent, thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Gregory View Post
    I've got a Bergara HMR-14 in 6.5 Creedmoor, Leupold VX-3I optics, cheap bipod, suppressor on the way. All in, I've probably got about $2200 into the rig without the suppressor, and it works as well as my friend's high-test 338 lapua setup, plus I get to watch his wallet catch fire every range day. 6.5 is about $1.50 a pill and the ballistic profile is outstanding, supersonic out to around 1200yds and just consistent as can be. There are a bunch of great options out there, this was kind of that butter zone of (actual) bang for the buck. I like Bergara, Savage, and Ruger for LRP rifles from mass producers, Surgeon if you're feeling spendy. Happy hunting!

MG
    How do you like the Leupold. How does it compare to a Vortex? That's not bad at all for the rig, I would have expected more.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    How do you like the Leupold. How does it compare to a Vortex? That's not bad at all for the rig, I would have expected more.
    I’ve got a Viper PST Gen II on my AR-10. The Viper was cheaper, and given that they’re both solid performers, Vortex wins out by a nose. I just had the Leupold on my Bergara and never swapped them out. I’d recommend going with a magnification in the 5-15 range (7’s going to be your sweet spot for most shots), 50mm reticle, milliradian measurement. You’ll trade off a little precision up close (MOA is more precise adjusting under 300yds) but the payoff at range is worth it. I found all of my kit at Bass Pro of all places, the rifle was slightly under a grand and the optics just over. My scope rings were about $100, bipod about 50. Great “starter kit”, but it’ll work for a long while. That said, I’ve got eyes on the Savage 110 Stealth Evolution lefty (Savage is awesome for us southpaws), and I’ll probably throw the Viper on that one. What are you shooting on your LRP work?

Kind of related, handguns are really hard to get licensed for in my country, and semi-auto centrefire is forbidden. What do you think about a 357 pump or lever action carbine, say 16", hunting for a mixture of defence, plinking, and eventually for some hunting? Maybe use low power 38 most of the time to save a few $, but should be able to get decent range with a high power 357 magnum.

Are there better options for a jack of all trades?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Le Comte View Post
    Kind of related, handguns are really hard to get licensed for in my country, and semi-auto centrefire is forbidden. What do you think about a 357 pump or lever action carbine, say 16", hunting for a mixture of defence, plinking, and eventually for some hunting? Maybe use low power 38 most of the time to save a few $, but should be able to get decent range with a high power 357 magnum.

Are there better options for a jack of all trades?
    Why limit yourself to a handgun round in a carbine?

Can you get straight-pull ARs like they have in the UK?

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast