starting strength gym
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: House Arrest Skills - Choosing the Right Handgun Caliber

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Delgadillo View Post
    I've had it for a little over a year now, I think, and it's my favorite version of Glock.
    I got rid of my Glocks after deciding to get away from them because I couldn't shoot enough to stay trained on grip angle vs my other handgun platforms. I'm not in the process of swapping back, and I have to say... the G45 and G34 are phenomenal. The only thing Glock could have done better is utilize the flat trigger (90* at break) and 3.5 lbs OEM trigger bar.

Now, if they would just get them back in stock...

Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Boggs View Post
    Bloody hell, what kind of varmints do you have in SC that calls for .45-70?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    .45-70 is a very versatile cartridge. I have them in cowboy action loads at about 1000 FPS up to 2500 FPS and 3400 ft-lb.
    The .45-70 is great. Lever actions are tremendously reliable, and the common loadings don't rely on the very high velocity principle that modern cartridges leverage for terminal ballistic effectiveness (secondary cavitation from energy transference). Primary cavitation with a flat-nose, high-penetration bullet that can take varmint up to buffalo? Yes, please. I just mentioned casting and reloading both for maximum "survival" self-reliance, and also because .45-70 runs expensive when buying factory loads.

Bonus points if you suppress it.

Quote Originally Posted by Soule View Post
    Went with your recommendation on a PSA AR, but I couldn’t resist a good deal on 10.5” 300 AAC. Can’t wait to shoot it!
    Sure thing. Especially for your first AR, I think that's a great choice and very versatile round. You can, with a magazine swap, go from 200-220 gr subsonics that run whisper quiet through a good suppressor and wipe disc to a 110-125 gr supersonic round capable of engaging moderately large game (or, hey... let's be real: people) up to 200-300 yards. If it were me, and it will be shortly, I'd do exactly that with a PBR zero on the supersonics and typical CQB hold-over on the subsonics (because, really, you should be engaging within 50 yards for subsonics). 300BLK is also notoriously reliable for cycling with shorter barrels (even in the 5" range).

The most important thing with direct gas impingement ARs (and I can't stress this enough) is a lubricant and solvent combo that adequately 1) prevents and 2) dissolves carbon build-up. CLP is absolute crap. Also, a bore snake. Just get one.

CLP is absolute crap.
    After seeing the gummy mess CLP left after a few years of storage I ditched it as well. Really like the Honady One Shot right now...

Quote Originally Posted by David A. Rowe View Post

Sure thing. Especially for your first AR, I think that's a great choice and very versatile round. You can, with a magazine swap, go from 200-220 gr subsonics that run whisper quiet through a good suppressor and wipe disc to a 110-125 gr supersonic round capable of engaging moderately large game (or, hey... let's be real: people) up to 200-300 yards. If it were me, and it will be shortly, I'd do exactly that with a PBR zero on the supersonics and typical CQB hold-over on the subsonics (because, really, you should be engaging within 50 yards for subsonics). 300BLK is also notoriously reliable for cycling with shorter barrels (even in the 5" range).

The most important thing with direct gas impingement ARs (and I can't stress this enough) is a lubricant and solvent combo that adequately 1) prevents and 2) dissolves carbon build-up. CLP is absolute crap. Also, a bore snake. Just get one.
    Great advice, thanks again. What sort of optic and accessories would you recommend? I’d like to get a suppressor at some point for sure.

I got rid of my Glocks after deciding to get away from them because I couldn't shoot enough to stay trained on grip angle vs my other handgun platforms.
    ^This is precisely why I'll never be a glock guy. I own a G42 just for the lulz and because its sooooo cute but that's it. Adjusting to the angle is just fine on the range (its surprisingly accurate out to 200 yards, which is as far as I could manage with the stock post sights), but the problem is exactly as you describe it--they make themselves an all-or-nothing brand because of that niche grip angle. This is why I'd never carry one for EDC.

300BLK is also notoriously reliable for cycling with shorter barrels (even in the 5" range).
    Its also pretty expensive and not terribly common. If this was my first rifle I ever purchased, I'd be in a big hurry to buy a 2nd rifle. If you must get a 2nd AR, just get it in 223 for Christ's sake. M14 and AK are also strong no-AR rifle choices that aren't chambered in exotic rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Noah Ebner View Post
    ^This is precisely why I'll never be a glock guy. I own a G42 just for the lulz and because its sooooo cute but that's it. Adjusting to the angle is just fine on the range (its surprisingly accurate out to 200 yards, which is as far as I could manage with the stock post sights), but the problem is exactly as you describe it--they make themselves an all-or-nothing brand because of that niche grip angle. This is why I'd never carry one for EDC.

Its also pretty expensive and not terribly common. If this was my first rifle I ever purchased, I'd be in a big hurry to buy a 2nd rifle. If you must get a 2nd AR, just get it in 223 for Christ's sake. M14 and AK are also strong no-AR rifle choices that aren't chambered in exotic rounds.
    I might as well get my next in 22long if i want to fuck around at the range all the time, but I see your point.

I might as well get my next in 22long if i want to fuck around at the range all the time, but I see your point.
    If you're gonna get a .22, yes, make sure its chambered for magnum rounds. Make no mistake, you've got a fine rifle on your hands and the 300 blackout is an outstanding round. But, I'm assuming your interest in ARs was for self-defense in these trying times, and a fine rifle is equally fine when its unloaded but it won't help you much against an angry mob. I personally prefer 762x39 to 223 for 'daily' use, but I keep my ARs handy just in case the world ends. In that scenario I want the rifle chambered in the most commonly available round so that I can either scavenge or trade for ammo for it.

I'm generally for anything made by the Germans, Austrians, or Czechs. Those particular mitteleuropäische volk make some good stuff, especially things that go BANG! But to paraphrase OJ Simpson, Glocks are an ugly ass gun. Hence I'll stick with my 7+1 S&W MP .45. Needing more than 8 shots seems unlikely since I am not Tom Cruise or some special operator being taken on by highly skilled multiple assailants intent on killing me.

That's where I am, I already have the .22's because of varmints. My range offers both coaching and friendly competitions, I just need to get off my ass and get involved.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    This latest power grab of governments at all levels of our federalist system have given me grave doubts about a lot of things. So I am now looking for a .223 semi-auto long arm. Some good info on the subject in this thread.
    Same for me. I was never interested in .223 ARs at all. After talking to an SSC friend a couple years ago and looking through his gun collection, I made the comment that I never had any interest in buying an AR. He mentioned that it's the gun "they don't want you to have" and that's why he had so many. He was, of course, exactly right. On top of that, it's an incredibly versatile platform, fun to learn to handle well, and if you like gear - there's so much gear.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Noah Ebner View Post
    If you're gonna get a .22, yes, make sure its chambered for magnum rounds. Make no mistake, you've got a fine rifle on your hands and the 300 blackout is an outstanding round. But, I'm assuming your interest in ARs was for self-defense in these trying times, and a fine rifle is equally fine when its unloaded but it won't help you much against an angry mob. I personally prefer 762x39 to 223 for 'daily' use, but I keep my ARs handy just in case the world ends. In that scenario I want the rifle chambered in the most commonly available round so that I can either scavenge or trade for ammo for it.
    Makes sense. I plan on building a small collection over time, including 7.62. In fact, my mother bought me an sks when I was 12, back before columbine and all the bullshit that made it taboo for a kid to have a gun. Maybe I’ll have her mail it down here if she can get it out of Massachusetts before they take ARs away.

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast