starting strength gym
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: House Arrest Skills - Choosing the Right Handgun Caliber

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Theseahawk View Post
    there’s plenty rabbit and pheasant meat for sale at the markets, so I guess that’s what I hear getting shot.
    Back in the fall/winter of 2003/04, I spent a few months in the rural lands around Oswestry, Shropshire. Lots of pheasant hunting, every house I visited had a brace of shotguns. And if you didn't hunt, you probably picked up a bit of work as a beater. The way the folks at the pub described it, the whole thing was a bit of a festive outing with food and drink afterward. A quick checked confirmed, 35 million pheasants are released every year. From what I understand, for the rural estates, it's a major source of income.

Quote Originally Posted by Noah Ebner View Post
    The only difference between a .223 upper and a 5.56 upper is the latter is "milspec" and that's it. They are functionally identical. I've fired thousands of 5.56 surplus ammo out of my stock M&P Sport with zero issues.
    This is incorrect. There is a big difference between 556 and 223. 556 is loaded to much higher pressures, about 62,000 psi versus about 55,000 for 223. The chamber of the 556 is cut larger than 223 to accommodate the higher pressures. 223 chambers have much tighter dimensions. Externally, a 223 and 556 cartridge look the same. It is the chamber in your barrel that is different. 556 brass also has thicker walls so it can contain the higher pressure.

Your M&P Sport has a 556 NATO chamber so yes, you can shoot both 556 and 223.

If you try shooting 556 NATO in a 223 chamber you will get big pressure spikes. This will typically cause primers to blow out the cartridge and get lodged in the trigger. Worst case is you will blow out the side of your AR.

Most companies now use 556 chambers. 10+ years ago, lower budget ARs did not. I know guys that have blown up cheap 223 ARs using 556 ammo.

Here's an interesting article I ran across on the subject awhile back. Some of the findings were surprising. https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/5-56-vs-223/

Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Boggs View Post
    Back in the fall/winter of 2003/04, I spent a few months in the rural lands around Oswestry, Shropshire. Lots of pheasant hunting, every house I visited had a brace of shotguns. And if you didn't hunt, you probably picked up a bit of work as a beater. The way the folks at the pub described it, the whole thing was a bit of a festive outing with food and drink afterward. A quick checked confirmed, 35 million pheasants are released every year. From what I understand, for the rural estates, it's a major source of income.
    There are a few pheasant shoots down near me. I remember once going for a pub lunch with my wife and daughter and there was a landrover truck (i.e. no seats in the back) that just had a rack covered with shot pheasants hung on it in the pub carpark.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    Any long range shooters here?
    Robert, I'm only out to about 500yds at this point, but working on longer if/when the 1000yd range south of us has a free stall (rare these days). Apart from the gym, that's my therapy.

Since the thread started about choosing the right handgun (caliber), i think it would be a mistake not to mention grips. Adding some grip tape like Talon grips to your handgun can make it far more controllable in high stress situations. Even in ideal conditions on the range, it can be a challenge to maintain proper grip and control of a pistol. Especially the smaller ones that most people choose for concealed carry. If you have wet hands or cold hands or dirty sweaty hands, it becomes even more difficult. Gunfights don't happen in ideal conditions. Your heart will probably be beating harder and faster than ever before. You want to give yourself every advantage and likelihood that you will survive. Being able to hold on to your weapon is essential.

Quote Originally Posted by PizzaDad View Post
    Since the thread started about choosing the right handgun (caliber), i think it would be a mistake not to mention grips. Adding some grip tape like Talon grips to your handgun can make it far more controllable in high stress situations. Even in ideal conditions on the range, it can be a challenge to maintain proper grip and control of a pistol. Especially the smaller ones that most people choose for concealed carry. If you have wet hands or cold hands or dirty sweaty hands, it becomes even more difficult. Gunfights don't happen in ideal conditions. Your heart will probably be beating harder and faster than ever before. You want to give yourself every advantage and likelihood that you will survive. Being able to hold on to your weapon is essential.
    Excellent point. If anyone has the P320, I can't recommend the Gas Pedal takedown lever enough for precisely this reason.

This is also why you train fundamentals in shooting like you train reps under the bar. The way you pull thousands of times in warm up and work sets is how you will pull in a PR attempt, and how you draw and shoot in thousands of dry fires and rounds on the range is how you will draw and shoot to save your life.

Quote Originally Posted by sniperfrog View Post
    This is incorrect. There is a big difference between 556 and 223. 556 is loaded to much higher pressures, about 62,000 psi versus about 55,000 for 223. The chamber of the 556 is cut larger than 223 to accommodate the higher pressures. 223 chambers have much tighter dimensions. Externally, a 223 and 556 cartridge look the same. It is the chamber in your barrel that is different. 556 brass also has thicker walls so it can contain the higher pressure.

Your M&P Sport has a 556 NATO chamber so yes, you can shoot both 556 and 223.

If you try shooting 556 NATO in a 223 chamber you will get big pressure spikes. This will typically cause primers to blow out the cartridge and get lodged in the trigger. Worst case is you will blow out the side of your AR.

Most companies now use 556 chambers. 10+ years ago, lower budget ARs did not. I know guys that have blown up cheap 223 ARs using 556 ammo.
    As you mentioned the 556 chambers are the way to go to safely accommodate both the .223/5.56 rounds.

The .223 Wylde is also a great hybrid option some people swear by. I have one, but have not fired it yet... for me the jury’s still out.

Quote Originally Posted by PizzaDad View Post
    Since the thread started about choosing the right handgun (caliber
    I thought this was Rip teasing NIck for his tricked out pistol and Nick being a good sport about it.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by RKC View Post
    As you mentioned the 556 chambers are the way to go to safely accommodate both the .223/5.56 rounds.

The .223 Wylde is also a great hybrid option some people swear by. I have one, but have not fired it yet... for me the jury’s still out.
    I have a couple rifles chambered in 223 Wylde. It was designed by Bill Wylde to shoot longer, heavier bullets at higher velocity’s more accurately for long range highpower competition. The Wylde chamber is similar to 556 NATO except the throat is tighter and a little longer.
    You can shoot 556 in a Wylde chamber with no issues. As far as it being more accurate I don’t think an AR is a platform that can really show a significant difference.
    I should have specified in my post that I was comparing the 556 NATO to the 223 Remington.
    There at least a dozen variations of chambers designed to shoot more accurately or more reliably with different spec ammo.

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast