starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Enough Floor Space for Home Gym

Default Enough Floor Space for Home Gym

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Unlike most of you, I lay awake nights thinking of reasons not to train. Why? Because training is hard. Of course COVID-19 has provided many of us with the best reason (gyms are closed). Despite this, I’m starting to go crazy, eating too much, drinking more than I should, and am actually itching to lift again.

My garage has a very low ceiling but I found a squat stand that seems to get good reviews and will fit:

Rogue SML-1

My concern is my garage floor space. My wife has made it crystal clear (no condescending comments re: my masculinity please) that I’m to have no more than an 8’ (64 sqft) square of space to work with. The above mentioned stand would seem to fit and I should have no problem squatting or benching with it. It should still leave me a 4’x8’ strip left over (if I move the bench and possibly the spotter arms out of the way) to deadlift.

Mark, your book specifies 96 sqft rather than the 64sqft I’m dealing with. Isn’t 4’x8’ more than enough space for DLs? Am I missing something?

You can deadlift on a 4x8 platform. I have several in the gym, and we deadlift on them every day.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    You can deadlift on a 4x8 platform. I have several in the gym, and we deadlift on them every day.
    Cool. That's all I needed to hear!

My "home gym" space is even tinier. I deadlift on 2x7 and never had an issue.

Any companies have equipment back in stock yet? I was considering that squat stand as well. Rip do you have any experience with these? I was curious how stable these are without the full rack.

Also are there other reputable companies besides Rogue and Texas Strength Systems worth considering? I keep checking TSS for that turn key home gym package. Is that still something they are going to make available?

Quote Originally Posted by JFord View Post
    My garage has a very low ceiling but I found a squat stand that seems to get good reviews and will fit:

Rogue SML-1
    I have this rack, for the very same reason. It works well; I've squatted 410lbs out of it and it hasn't broken. I have it bolted to a platform beneath.

Hopefully you don't get any complaints on any extra space required for plate storage.

Quote Originally Posted by JoshK View Post
    Any companies have equipment back in stock yet? I was considering that squat stand as well.
    I want to order another pair of 45s and I check Rogue's site every day. Rep Fitness opened pre-orders back up this morning for a hot second, and had to close them again because they were overwhelmed.

I fear I won't be getting my 45s until the fall.

Quote Originally Posted by JoshK View Post
    I was curious how stable these are without the full rack.
    I mentioned above that I own an SML-1. I bought it back in November during their big, month-long sale. It works well, but is a little wobbly -- there are only two posts and no cross bar between them. I like the "Westside" hole spacing for more granularity for bench press safeties without shimming my bench. I do recommend the spotter arms, and the floor mounting feet. Mine is bolted to an 8'x8' platform.

If the wobble worries you, Rep Fitness makes a 72" 4-post rack (PR-1050. Out of stock, of course). I cannot speak to that specific product, but I do like Rep's adjustable bench.

Quote Originally Posted by JFord View Post
    Unlike most of you, I lay awake nights thinking of reasons not to train. Why? Because training is hard. Of course COVID-19 has provided many of us with the best reason (gyms are closed). Despite this, I’m starting to go crazy, eating too much, drinking more than I should, and am actually itching to lift again.

Rogue SML-1

My concern is my garage floor space. My wife has made it crystal clear (no condescending comments re: my masculinity please) that I’m to have no more than an 8’ (64 sqft) square of space to work with. The above mentioned stand would seem to fit and I should have no problem squatting or benching with it. It should still leave me a 4’x8’ strip left over (if I move the bench and possibly the spotter arms out of the way) to deadlift.

Mark, your book specifies 96 sqft rather than the 64sqft I’m dealing with. Isn’t 4’x8’ more than enough space for DLs? Am I missing something?
    We make squat stands out of US Steel for people with tight spaces. Ship to 48 states.

www.store.thestrength.co

Grant,
    I don't know why but that link to your store doesn't work. It may be me but I just don't see why. Anyway just a heads up.

The second link worked fine and I got there. Makes me wish I still lived in LA!

starting strength coach development program
    Rogue has the SML-1, 70" available now. By the time this post passes inspection and is viewable it may not be, however.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast