starting strength gym
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Does the type of eggs matter?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I cover this in my upcoming fat article but omega 3 eggs are unnecessary if you are eating fish or taking fish oil. We are not very efficient at converting ALA to DHA & EPA. The reason we want to consume omega 3s is for the EPA & DHA so you are better off "cutting out the middleman" and going straight to the source (Fatty fish).

Quote Originally Posted by PizzaDad View Post
    We have an egg lady. She raises chickens and goats on her farm. We buy 5 dozen eggs a week. They are a mix of several different breed of chicken and some duck eggs.
    We love them. I prefer the taste to grocery store eggs which I still buy also. We eat a lot of eggs. Four adults right now My breakfast is usually 3-5 eggs. Egg sandwich makes a great snack. And we will do omelette night for dinner, 2-3 nights a month.
    Jesus Christ, you're a walking fuckin egg!

I definitely believe that the egg has a place in a balanced healthy diet, but in MODERATION, its kinda like milk...its designed for the EARLY stages of life...and as such is actually too much CONCENTRATED fat and cholesterol which is necessary for the rapid growth and development of the newling...

I mean don't get me wrong...our ancestors would never pass up an opportunity to get protein, fat ,calories and nutrients but since wild fowl have mostly seasonal breeding seasons the availability of eggs in the wild was limited to certain times of the year...

Thats the problem with modern society ..many of us are OVER-Nourished.....

Now of course everything is relative...If you are chopping trees down, carrying them away and splitting wood all day....ok, you probably would have to take in all that nutrition....

But if your sitting on your ass most of the day in front of a computer screen....I hope you have life insurance

Quote Originally Posted by BobEwell View Post
    My question is do you have any guidance on what foods to pay a premium for and which you can buy anything. In our house buying "regular" vs orgainic eggs would
    save $500/yr, but that is not worth it if there are health or nutrition compromises for doing so.
    I had always assumed that the "organic" stuff was almost entirely marketing and a bit of a scam. I'm unaware anything to indicate there is a significant nutritional difference, but if someone feels better about their purchase because the farmer used specific farming methods they're free to pay more for the privilege.

What confirmed to me that it was all a big racket was when my cousin told me about having to wait to have his farm certified as "organic." They had to change nothing about how they farmed -- they just had to pay a fee and wait because only so many farms would be certified each year.

I have noticed differences in flavor and color between different egg sources. I find the Walmart eggs that my mother-in-law buys to be almost colorless and have very little flavor, while the farm eggs I've had from friends are rich and full-flavored. Every day I eat a big serving of an egg casserole that my wife makes once a week that is a combination of eggs, egg whites, spinach, cheese, and prosciutto. I'd probably put the Walmart eggs in there if it were convenient to shop there, but it isn't so Target or Kroger gets my egg business. With the amount I eat, food is fuel and quality is a secondary consideration -- salt and pepper cover a lot of sins. My oldest boy (of five kids, three are boys) is 10 and starting to eat more. My budget tells me that premium eggs are not in the near or medium term.

Quote Originally Posted by Mainstream View Post
    Jesus Christ, you're a walking fuckin egg!

I definitely believe that the egg has a place in a balanced healthy diet, but in MODERATION, its kinda like milk...its designed for the EARLY stages of life...and as such is actually too much CONCENTRATED fat and cholesterol which is necessary for the rapid growth and development of the newling...

I mean don't get me wrong...our ancestors would never pass up an opportunity to get protein, fat ,calories and nutrients but since wild fowl have mostly seasonal breeding seasons the availability of eggs in the wild was limited to certain times of the year...

Thats the problem with modern society ..many of us are OVER-Nourished.....

Now of course everything is relative...If you are chopping trees down, carrying them away and splitting wood all day....ok, you probably would have to take in all that nutrition....

But if your sitting on your ass most of the day in front of a computer screen....I hope you have life insurance
    You still think dietary cholesterol will kill you?

Quote Originally Posted by mitchless View Post
    I had always assumed that the "organic" stuff was almost entirely marketing and a bit of a scam. I'm unaware anything to indicate there is a significant nutritional difference, but if someone feels better about their purchase because the farmer used specific farming methods they're free to pay more for the privilege.

What confirmed to me that it was all a big racket was when my cousin told me about having to wait to have his farm certified as "organic." They had to change nothing about how they farmed -- they just had to pay a fee and wait because only so many farms would be certified each year.

I have noticed differences in flavor and color between different egg sources. I find the Walmart eggs that my mother-in-law buys to be almost colorless and have very little flavor, while the farm eggs I've had from friends are rich and full-flavored. Every day I eat a big serving of an egg casserole that my wife makes once a week that is a combination of eggs, egg whites, spinach, cheese, and prosciutto. I'd probably put the Walmart eggs in there if it were convenient to shop there, but it isn't so Target or Kroger gets my egg business. With the amount I eat, food is fuel and quality is a secondary consideration -- salt and pepper cover a lot of sins. My oldest boy (of five kids, three are boys) is 10 and starting to eat more. My budget tells me that premium eggs are not in the near or medium term.
    If the chicken gets to roam around it will eat grubs, worms and beetles and the yoke will be a nice deep orange colour. If it doesn’t get to roam around, it just gets its normal feed which is vegetarian and the yoke is dull.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    You still think dietary cholesterol will kill you?
    That depends on the presence or absence of atherosclerosis and what exactly are the causative mechanisms of atherosclerosis...some cholesterol is even good in moderation

So lets say your family has no history of heart disease or cardiovascular disease...you passed your last physical with complete bloodwork with flying colors and you're reasonably active...I would say youre fine with 2-3 eggs a day depending on bodyweight...but this guy is eating 7 8 a day and I have never seen a nutritional study that would greenlight that...unless that is all you ate and youre other 2 meals are kale and broccoli

I understand that most of our cholesterol is made in the liver but eating cholesterol in those amount would drive up blood levels to the point of risk

Quote Originally Posted by Theseahawk View Post
    If the chicken gets to roam around it will eat grubs, worms and beetles and the yoke will be a nice deep orange colour. If it doesn’t get to roam around, it just gets its normal feed which is vegetarian and the yoke is dull.
    Thanks for ruining my fondness for eggs!

Quote Originally Posted by mitchless View Post

It's not quite that simple. Perhaps your cousin was already farming using “Organic Methods” In which case, yes nothing to change. However, if a conventional farmer wishes to become Organic certified, there are a number of things he has to change. The intent of the certification is to protect buyers from fraudulent sellers. Sadly, just like almost everything the government gets involved it, the process has become convoluted and time consuming. Now I was never larger then 50 chickens, so I didn't have to get certified to claim and advertise “Organic Eggs”

That depends on the presence or absence of atherosclerosis and what exactly are the causative mechanisms of atherosclerosis...some cholesterol is even good in moderation

So lets say your family has no history of heart disease or cardiovascular disease...you passed your last physical with complete bloodwork with flying colors and you're reasonably active...I would say youre fine with 2-3 eggs a day depending on bodyweight...but this guy is eating 7 8 a day and I have never seen a nutritional study that would greenlight that...unless that is all you ate and youre other 2 meals are kale and broccoli

I understand that most of our cholesterol is made in the liver but eating cholesterol in those amount would drive up blood levels to the point of risk.
    Interesting. I'm eating 10 eggs right now. Fried in butter, with Parmesan cheese. Eggs average 7 grams of protein, so to make a protein meal to have to eat a lot of them -- they are not a condiment. And they are not poisonous. As is so often the case, you don't know what you're talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Interesting. I'm eating 10 eggs right now. Fried in butter, with Parmesan cheese. Eggs average 7 grams of protein, so to make a protein meal to have to eat a lot of them -- they are not a condiment. And they are not poisonous. As is so often the case, you don't know what you're talking about.
    Yeah, well, we'll see at the autopsy

A really good understanding of human teeth , jaws and the oral cavity and a basic understanding of the GI tract, especially the gut, will tell you all you need to know about what should be the diet for a human

starting strength coach development program
    Yeah, well, we'll see at the autopsy

A really good understanding of human teeth , jaws and the oral cavity and a basic understanding of the GI tract, especially the gut, will tell you all you need to know about what should be the diet for a human
    Twinkies?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast