starting strength gym
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Does the type of eggs matter?

Default Does the type of eggs matter?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Mark,

I just watched your podcast with Stan and in it you mentioned how cheap eggs were.

This got my attention because we have been buying the organic, free-range, etc. ones thinking we needed to do so to get good nutrition and no "bad stuff", unfortunately this type of egg is far from cheap.

My question is do you have any guidance on what foods to pay a premium for and which you can buy anything. In our house buying "regular" vs orgainic eggs would
    save $500/yr, but that is not worth it if there are health or nutrition compromises for doing so.

Thank you.

Bob ewell

If you eat 8 at a time like I do, you learn to deal with the cheap ones.

If there is a poultry processing plant hatchery near you go make friends with them

They candle the eggs to verify there only one yolk in each egg
    They will give you the double yolk ones if you make friends with them, because they can’t sell them

It's not whether the eggs are "regular" or organic. It's how the chickens live, chickens that spend the day in a field eating greens and bugs, have a stronger taste and thicker yokes. If you're getting the eggs from a store, it's unlikely, whatever the box claims, that the chickens spent the day in the grass. For me, it's less "regular" or organic, but how the chickens live their life, quality of life is more important then being organic. Just because I kill and eat them doesn't mean they shouldn't have happy lives up to that point.

I believe that if they don't say 'pastured', then they are all the same.

Quote Originally Posted by BobEwell View Post
    Mark,

I just watched your podcast with Stan and in it you mentioned how cheap eggs were.

This got my attention because we have been buying the organic, free-range, etc. ones thinking we needed to do so to get good nutrition and no "bad stuff", unfortunately this type of egg is far from cheap.

My question is do you have any guidance on what foods to pay a premium for and which you can buy anything. In our house buying "regular" vs orgainic eggs would
    save $500/yr, but that is not worth it if there are health or nutrition compromises for doing so.

Thank you.

Bob ewell

Youre not killing them youre just eating the eggs and once you start thinking about the "quality of life "of a chicken youre probably ready to be a Vegan anyway,lol

What I really am trying to find out is when the quality of eggs(or meat, or checken, etc) make a difference, not so much if they are different.

As an example that is somewhat off topic but illustrates the basis of my question is the idea that eating fats doesn't create fat. So in this
    case what you ingest, and how your body processes and uses it is different than I would have expected. Fat in doesn't create body fat.

Applying the above to eggs or other foods I am not sure when the "quality" of the food actually matters because if the body doesn't "process" an
    organic, free range egg any differently than one from a mass hatchery it doesn't seem to make sense to pay up to $5/dozen when the others are
    available for less than $5.00.

So are there foods such as eggs, red meat, chicken, rice and other staples of a training diet where it might be worth paying a premium for organic, non gmo
    no hormones, etc.?

thank you

Bob

Is there a USDA definition of "Pastured" or is it nothing more then a marketing term?

This guy has a few videos about eggs. I have a hard time paying for expensive eggs.

YouTube

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Boggs View Post
    Is there a USDA definition of "Pastured" or is it nothing more then a marketing term?
    I dont know that answer...what I do know is that a dozen pastured eggs are typically at Publix 3-4x more expensive than almost anything else. Now, they have more orange, and larger yolks, and I'd imagine a blind taste test, there's a little bit of a difference.

But, if you eat lots of eggs, I just don't think there's TOO MUCH of a difference in any other 'type' of egg vs pastured.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast