starting strength gym
Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: The Book Thread

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank_B View Post
    Haven’t read Blood Meridian yet as I’m not generally a McCarthy fan. To be fair, I hated The Road and haven’t tried his other stuff. I’ll give it a try though.

There was a sequel to Lonesome Dove as well titled Return to Lonesome Dove that was one of the rare sequels, in my opinion, that was excellent.
    Give All The Pretty Horses a try. I read it in one sitting. I loved No Country For Old Men too. Did not like or finish ​The Road

Started reading Robert Nozick's Anarchy, State, and Utopia (1974 Basic Books edition) a couple days ago.

Was struck by the second paragraph in the Preface. Seems to get right to the heart of the predicament we find ourselves in.

Maybe I should have posted this in the Covid thread?

Here's that paragraph: "Our main conclusions about the state are that a minimal state, limited to the narrow functions of protection against force, theft, fraud, enforcement of contracts, and so on, is justified; that any more extensive state will violate a persons' rights not to be forced to do certain things, and is unjustified; and that the minimal state is inspiring as well as right. Two noteworthy implications are that the state may not use its coercive apparatus for the purposes of getting some citizens to aid others, or in order to prohibit activities to people for their own good or protection." (emphasis Nozick's).

Some awesome books making appearances here. Here are some of my favourite reads lately:

Hugh Howey’s “Silo” series is great if you have a post-apocalyptic leaning.

Tom Robbins “Another Roadside Attraction” is entertaining, the man has a fun grasp of the written word.

“A Confederacy of Dunces” by John Kennedy Toole is superb and I recommend it to anyone who will listen.

Just starting another Ace Atkins Quinn Colson novel, "The Shameless." Atkins is one Hell of a writer.

Quote Originally Posted by bjvinson View Post
    Did not like or finish ​The Road
    Same. It was years ago but I remember his writing style had no flow to it. So many people rave about it though

Cuckservative: How "Conservatives" Betrayed America - Vox Day. Seems to get more relevant by the day...Robot Check

I also second Confederacy of Dunces. Ignateus Riley is quite the galoot.

Quote Originally Posted by ForbiddenDonut View Post
    Cuckservative: How "Conservatives" Betrayed America - Vox Day. Seems to get more relevant by the day...Robot Check

I also second Confederacy of Dunces. Ignateus Riley is quite the galoot.
    Did you read Michael Malice’s The New Right?

Just finished The Falcon of Sparta, Conn Iggulden's retelling of Xenophon's march to the sea after a failed coup attempt on the Persian throne. Since Spartans were involved, it leans a little on Pressfield's Gates of Fire, but his character development was riveting.

Is it apropos that I'm reading "The end if all things" For SF fans, the last book (so far) in the Old Man's War novels by John Scalzi

starting strength coach development program
    Currently reading A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin. My guilty little 'covid catch-up' was binge watching the HBO series. I'd never really been super interested in it to be honest, but once it hit 'global cultural phenomenon' status, I parked it for when I might have time to watch 73 episodes! COVID seemed to be the only chance I would get and I'm glad I took it. Now having finished the series I'm deep-diving and tying up all the loose ends with the book.

Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast