starting strength gym
Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516

Thread: The Book Thread

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    I just finished Fortune of War (Aubrey/Maturin series) by O'Brian. All the books are good, especially the second time around. Maturin and Aubrey are taken prisoner by us Americans during the War of 1812, and Maturin's previous intelligence work for the Admiralty comes back to haunt him. O'Brian's writing about intelligence spycraft of the time seemed pretty authoritative, so I looked up his CV. As it happened, he worked for the Foreign Office in intel during WWII.
    Just finished Reverse of the Medal and am starting Letter of Marque. Looking forward to finishing the series and starting them all over again.

The Road to Wigan Pier, George Orwell.

Perfectly sums up today's left. They don't really care about the poor or working class, in fact they are disgusted by them. They just hate the rich.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    There has never been a better western than Lonesome Dove. One of the best novels I've ever read.
    Thanks for this and you are correct. Not sure how I have never heard of it. Blood Meridian was my prior favorite. This wins.

Quote Originally Posted by Sib View Post
    The Road to Wigan Pier, George Orwell.

Perfectly sums up today's left. They don't really care about the poor or working class, in fact they are disgusted by them. They just hate the rich.
    On my list and will order it. Someone who I respect suggested this and The Gulag Archipelago. The Gulag Archipelago changed my world view. And I always talk about 1984 and Animal Farm with my kids. Thanks for putting Road to Wigan Pier out there as a remini.

starting strength coach development program
    Spoiler warning. (Are we doing spoiler warnings. I personally think their dumb but I don't want anyone to get butthurt.)

Finished up The Moon is a Harsh Mistress a few days ago, per Rip's recommendation. Great sci-fi analogy of the Revolutionary War, but I was a bit confused about why the computer had to die at the end. He was one of my favorite charactera, so I was sad that he didn't get as much time in the spotlight the second half of the book.

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516