starting strength gym
Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: The Book Thread

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt James View Post
    If I may interject: I read damn near everything the man wrote when I was younger, but I think the ones that really stand out are the bigger, historical fiction titles, including the one you mentioned. The Walking Drum, The Lonesome Gods, and Jubal Sackett are great. Haunted Mesa is a little out there, more sci fi, but also good. For his paperbacks, I think The Daybreakers is still my favorite.
    I was going to recommend The Walking Drum for non western and the Daybreakers for an introduction into his westerns. To the best of my knowledge, I've read all of his, and most of them many times. Be aware, his early work was written for the action/adventure pulp fiction magazines, but even within them are some really good stories. The library will good source for Lamour and don't forget the Large Print section.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Delgadillo View Post
    I just started reading 1774 by Mary Beth Norton. I wanted to read a book about the American Revolution that didn't revolve around specific battles or stuff that we all learn about in 3rd grade. Specifically, the political climate within the colonies and how a relatively small group was able to get this accomplished. The last couple of months have made it obvious that human nature is such that status quo, comfort, and not rocking the boat are the default. And the revolutionary war was one of the few, if only, American wars that resulted from a group of people disrupting "normalcy" in a way that would inevitably lead to armed conflict.
    The Great Courses have several courses on the events leading up to the revolution. Don't know how good your library system is, but mine has most of the titles I found at the Great Courses site.
    Here's a couple of titles: Origins and Ideologies of the American Revolution, American Ideals: Founding a "Republic of Virtue"

I am ashamed to say I did NOT read Animal Farm when assigned in school. So, I read it last week.

Reading 1984 now. Unreal, so far how recognizable the ideas are.

sb

Quote Originally Posted by Matt James View Post
    If I may interject: I read damn near everything the man wrote when I was younger, but I think the ones that really stand out are the bigger, historical fiction titles, including the one you mentioned. The Walking Drum, The Lonesome Gods, and Jubal Sackett are great. Haunted Mesa is a little out there, more sci fi, but also good. For his paperbacks, I think The Daybreakers is still my favorite.
    Thanks for the recommendations, Matt. I have added them to my list. Will report back!

I'm going to give up on reading Dune... any reason to finish the book? I should've listened to Rip.. it is boring. I started 1984 and am two chapters in.. much better book so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Bre Hillen View Post
    I'm going to give up on reading Dune... any reason to finish the book? I should've listened to Rip.. it is boring. I started 1984 and am two chapters in.. much better book so far.
    Oh, child...

Quote Originally Posted by Bre Hillen View Post
    Have always wanted to read Dune because I loved the movie (the one with Sting, Kyle MacChlachan) (sorry for the spelling errors). I bought it and it is in the pile. Will take your advice and avoid. My son also could not get through Dune. A case of the movie being better then the book, perhaps.

Quote Originally Posted by TommyGun View Post
    Have always wanted to read Dune because I loved the movie (the one with Sting, Kyle MacChlachan) (sorry for the spelling errors). I bought it and it is in the pile. Will take your advice and avoid. My son also could not get through Dune. A case of the movie being better then the book, perhaps.
    Do not avoid it. At least just read Dune. You don't have to read the other half dozen sequels.

I really enjoyed Dune. Super imaginative and interesting world, imo.

The subsequent books just escalate in strangeness. I'm on book 4 and it's just bonkers. My only complaint is that these become more and more like philosophy books (dialogue especially), which bores the hell out of me. Probably going to take a break from these after I finish this one.

starting strength coach development program
    I read Dune shortly after it was published while in high school after getting a teaser of an excerpt in Analog (a sci-fi mag of the time). I liked it then, but the sequels got progressively worse. I always figgered Herbert was a little jealous of L. Ron Hubbard, given the cult that grew up around it. Hated the movie though.

Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast