• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by hill.1338@osu.edu View Post
    Does anybody have any recommendation on books about:

War of 1812
    Mexican American War
    Abraham Lincoln
    Civil War
    Any other book about historic events between the Revolutionary War and the Civil War that are a good read
    Regarding Lincoln: If you want a short biography, read Founders' Son: A Life of Abraham Lincoln. It's a good book and will give you some insights but this isn't my real recommendation. What you really want are his actual words:

Lincoln: Speeches and Writings: 1832-1858 (Vol 1)
    Lincoln: Speeches and Writings: 1859-1865 (Vol 2)

I bought volume 1 in a used bookstore and loved the collection so much I bought volume 2 on Amazon. You will be amazed at the sense you get of Lincoln from the man himself. He was a great and very clear writer and thinker. I couldn't recommend this more strongly. You don't read them sequentially. You keep these books by the crapper and read what looks interesting until you've read them all. Then you read them again. Sheer brilliance. Your significant other will wonder why you take so long in the bathroom and you'll wonder why we accept the morons in politics that we have today. You'll also come to hate John Wilkes Booth and his asshole co-conspirators for killing such a great man.

Everyone as interested in American history as you seem to be should own this.

You may thank me in advance.

Ordered. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Ordered. Thanks.
    You’ll love it Mark.

Read the very first entry To the People of Sangamo County. He was 23 and running for the Illinois Assembly. When has a politician actually done something to prove his worth to the electorate rather than pontificate about what he’s going to do? He describes his analysis of a railroad project his district wanted and proves why it wasn't a good use of public money while offering a cheaper alternative. He did all the work himself and even reveals what costs are known and unknown so voters can assess his plan’s legitimacy.

He lost that race but demonstrated that he had the voters’ backs. If you didn’t own the collection, you’d never have encountered this revealing little gem.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    There has never been a better western than Lonesome Dove. One of the best novels I've ever read.
    The best. Completely agree.

Not a Western, but sort of in the ballpark: The Frontiersman by Allan Eckert was absolutely incredible. Most Americans don’t know about the life of Simon Kenton, but we probably should.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank_B View Post
    The best. Completely agree.
    Ordered. Great tip. Going out west for a Montana and wyoming vacation next month so this will get me in the mood.

But best western ever? Could it possibly be better than Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy, a spectacular and unforgettable novel set in the old west?

You'll soon see.

Not a Western, but sort of in the ballpark: The Frontiersman by Allan Eckert was absolutely incredible. Most Americans don’t know about the life of Simon Kenton, but we probably should.
    I second this. I’m from southern Ohio in the middle of what was Shawnee land. Simon Kenton is every bit, If not more, the legend in these parts that Daniel Boone is.

Quote Originally Posted by TommyGun View Post
    But best western ever? Could it possibly be better than Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy, a spectacular and unforgettable novel set in the old west?
    Haven’t read Blood Meridian yet as I’m not generally a McCarthy fan. To be fair, I hated The Road and haven’t tried his other stuff. I’ll give it a try though.

There was a sequel to Lonesome Dove as well titled Return to Lonesome Dove that was one of the rare sequels, in my opinion, that was excellent.

Haven’t read Blood Meridian yet as I’m not generally a McCarthy fan. To be fair, I hated The Road and haven’t tried his other stuff. I’ll give it a try though.

There was a sequel to Lonesome Dove as well titled Return to Lonesome Dove that was one of the rare sequels, in my opinion, that was excellent.
    I think McCarthy is like fried okra. You love it or hate it.

I loved No Country for Old Men but Blood Meridian was tiring. Lonesome Dove was enjoyable from page 1.

starting strength coach development program

If you hated The Road, but wanted to try McCarthy again, I'd suggest starting with All The Pretty horse. A great story, beautifully written and more accessible than Blood Meridian as the characters are far more sympathetic.

Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast