starting strength gym
Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast

Thread: The Book Thread

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Went through some of my dad's old books and came across The Dark Tower series by Stephen King. Started with The Gunslinger last night. Pretty good so far.

As far as stuff I've already read, if you haven't read The Day of the Jackal by Frederick Forsyth, you're missing out.

Basic Economics - Thomas Sowell. Everyone should be required to read this book; you will gift this to your favorite high school or college graduates. (Apologies if I missed this in other posts.)

Yeager - Autobiography of Chuck Yeage
    r Breaking the sound barrier was the most boring thing he did!

Blind Man's Bluff - The Untold Story of American Submarine Espionage - Written after much top secret documentation was released and covers submarine development and stories about how subs were used in various spy and other missions.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Manhattan View Post
    Basic Economics - Thomas Sowell. Everyone should be required to read this book; you will gift this to your favorite high school or college graduates. (Apologies if I missed this in other posts.)
    If we could require every member of Congress to read it...

Quote Originally Posted by J. Killmond View Post
    Do not miss Gettysburg if you have any interest in the Civil War (especially if you've read books about the battle, such as The Killer Angels). The battlefield is vast and well-preserved. When you're standing in Devil's Den or looking up at Cemetery Ridge, you might as well be back in 1863. I'd probably want to spend three days there, if I could get back.
    I visited about 20 years ago, been wanting to go back ever since, and will get back one of these days. There's really something special about visiting those places where history actually was made.

I just finished Fortune of War (Aubrey/Maturin series) by O'Brian. All the books are good, especially the second time around. Maturin and Aubrey are taken prisoner by us Americans during the War of 1812, and Maturin's previous intelligence work for the Admiralty comes back to haunt him. O'Brian's writing about intelligence spycraft of the time seemed pretty authoritative, so I looked up his CV. As it happened, he worked for the Foreign Office in intel during WWII.

Started Reading Apocalypse Never: Why Environmental Alarmism Hurts Us All on the recommendation of a co-worker who's spent the last several months rather intensively immersing himself in the whole climate change debate. I'm hoping this will serve as a good introduction to the subject.

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Button View Post
    Started Reading Apocalypse Never: Why Environmental Alarmism Hurts Us All on the recommendation of a co-worker who's spent the last several months rather intensively immersing himself in the whole climate change debate. I'm hoping this will serve as a good introduction to the subject.
    In that line, Crichton's State of Fear is a fair read as well.

Failure Is Not An Option - Gene Kranz

A fascinating memoir of NASA's probably most recognizable flight director. I was struck by the absolute dedication of all involved to reach the goal of a lunar landing. The schedule and pace they kept was relentless. My memories start with Apollo, I had no idea of the setbacks and close calls of the Gemini program. What they achieved was truly remarkable.

Favorite quote - "This was no time to take counsel of our fears." Describing his mindset as inflight problems were mounting during the Apollo 5 flight.

Unsung heroes - The simulation teams.

Recently read "Class: A guide through the American Status System" by Paul Fussell. It is almost 40 years old, so some parts are a little dated but I found it fascinating (and very accurate). He does an excellent job pinpointing the habits (housing, vocabulary, consumption, education, etc) of the different classes in the US. As it is a relatively old book, it is easy to see exactly how accurate he really was with his analysis (very). Also very eye opening to see one's own habits described in detail and exactly what those habit reflect from a class standpoint.

starting strength coach development program
    Pick up A Sea of Words by Dean King -- truly a wealthy lexicon and companion for those reading O'Brian's sea stories. It has, for instance, all thirty-six Articles of War, the regulations of the British Navy that were posted in every naval ship and read once-a-month to all seaman. And another entry, "scuttle-butt" which we recognize as gossip, but it was the name of a drinking water cask station aboard ship--a place sailors gathered several times during the day for a drink and of course to trade the latest news. Great book.

Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast