starting strength gym
Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The Book Thread

Default The Book Thread

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    By popular demand (primarily Bre) we shall discuss your reading. I am rereading The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress by Robert Heinlein. A very important book, fit to start what I'm sure will be a long and popular thread. (Just so's you'll know, it is proper to italicize titles.)

Ray Gillenwater is offline Administrator, Starting Strength Gyms
    Starting Strength Coach

I'm reading The Accidental Superpower by Peter Zeihan. Jay Livsey from SS Denver turned me on to this guy. Very interesting global perspective from a "geopolitics" point of view i.e. how geography influences the rise and fall of empires. Fascinating stuff.

My 12 y.o. son brought me a book series by Margaret Haddix: It starts with Among the Hidden and is surprisingly on point for our world today. Especially considering the target audience of pre-teen to early teens.

He brought this book series to my attention by asking: "So, do you think the government should determine how many children couples can have?" I think the child wants to see if my head will explode.

sb

I am reading, The Theory of Moral Sentiments by Adam Smith. Coincidentally, I finished The Moon is a Harsh Mistress last October. Heinlein is much easier reading than Smith, it's a brutal effort, for me at least, to finish this Adam Smith book.

Very belatedly finished reading 1984. Fascinating and horrifying and engrossing all at once.

I normally have at least one fiction and one non-fiction on the go at any one time. Currently:
    The Shadow of Tyburn Tree by Dennis Wheatley - second book in the Roger Brook series, renaissance adventure and political intrigue.
    The problem with Physics by Lee Smolin - criticism of physics research in string theory and that it is no longer science in the traditional sense.

What took so long for a book thread?
    The movie thread is a great help, glad we are doing this.

Just finished rereading Black Swan, now retreading Antifragile, both by Nassim Taleb. Very appropriate for these times.

Will use this thread for tips for my next book.

I finished up "Journey" by James A Michener , " The Boys In The Boat" by Daniel James Brown, and "Empire Of The Sun Moon" byS.C Gwynne during the lockdown.

“The Road To Serfdom” by Friedrich Hayek. A classic but unbelievably relevant for today.

starting strength coach development program
    Not all of Conn Iggulden's books are good, but I think his Emperor (Julius Caesar) and Conqueror (Genghis) series of historical fiction are very good.

Wolf of the Plains (Conqueror, Book 1) by Iggulden, Conn (ebook)

Emperor

I read Haruki Murakami's Kafka on the Shore recently and hated it.

Working my way through Kafka's The Trial.

Can't convince my 15 yo to read 1984.

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast