starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Strength And Grappling Sports - Starting Strength Radio Clips

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Its the Yin and Yang like kind of like in one of the articles written on this website. The stronger more explosive guy is going to have a huge advantage however having a better gas tank(genetically)is going to be a huge advantage as well. We aren't fighting silverback gorillas here we are fighting human athletes who are both going to train for conditioning and strength. I am not proposing that a marathon runner has a chance against Yoel Romero or Daniel Cormier but a fighter with better conditioning can outlast the stronger guy until their strength means nothing. Maruiz Pudzanowski was likely one of the strongest humans on the planet around the time he entered the cage against Tim Sylvia and got thoroughly beaten because he gassed out.

My point is it far to simple of a statement to say that being the strongest MMA fighter equals a win because it clearly isn't true which has been decided in competition for quite while now.

Eric, you're pretty fucking dense.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Larousse View Post
    My point is it far to simple of a statement to say that being the strongest MMA fighter equals a win because it clearly isn't true which has been decided in competition for quite while now.
    No one is saying that.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

Jesus! Fast forward to :46 second into the video on the opening post.

One of them's stronger than the other. Who wins? Well, usually, if the guy's way stronger than the other, the stronger guy's gonna win and it doesn't matter how good he is
    this is not the same statement as what you put

...being the strongest MMA fighter equals a win...
    I've devoted ten years of my life to martial arts and BJJ, but no one will convince me that in a fight, an able-bodied 50lb 8-year old can beat an able-bodied 200lb man (both unarmed).

I don't mean to be patronizing here, but do you understand the logic "All squares are rectangles, but not all rectangles are squares"?
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.

It isn’t about putting the 8 year old against a he 200 pounder. In organized competition with weight classes if you have a guy that weighs exactly the same as his opponent but yet his opponent has the genetics that make him vastly stronger/explosive with the right game plan the guy with the better conditioning threshold he can outlast the genetically stronger human and render the strength useless by the end of the bout. The strong guy can obviously be conditioned to some degree while the conditioned guy can obviously train to be stronger but they will never be equal in either of those traits.

That's a solid point to be argued, but what you said was "my point is it far to simple of a statement to say that being the strongest MMA fighter equals a win because it clearly isn't true which has been decided in competition for quite while now." which is not helpful, because no one has said that.

You could even make the argument that a fighter with particular style counter to his stronger opponent would win. I've definitely see this before with BJJ.

Regarding conditioning however, strength is harder to obtain and is usually neglected by fighters. I would argue that strength is more valuable for the same amount of time input for conditioning, but of course a strong person who is insanely unconditioned could be beaten by a weaker but more well-conditioned fighter.

Within weight classes, conditioning is not usually the first, second, or third problem from what I've observed.

Does BJJ require conditioning? If so, BJJ practice provides conditioning. If not, can it actually be important? Do heavy sets of 5 squats provide conditioning? Yes, and the only reason a person would not know this is because of having not trained for strength effectively.

I’m a BJJ brown belt. Took my squat from 185 to 315 in about 5 months. The other lifts similarly improved. Guarantee you it helps. The difference is unreal.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Does BJJ require conditioning? If so, BJJ practice provides conditioning.
    I think you could make the same statement of strength. Of course, a novice will respond to BJJ by getting stronger. I see it all of the time with white belts, but that doesn't make it effective strength training.

Preparation for a competition in BJJ requires and produces sufficient conditioning, in my opinion.
    My observation of good (non-pro) competitors is that the inputs that are most important are
    -Technique
    -Strength
    -Mental preparation through mock matches and fast paced rolling - trainees who are not accustomed to rolling like they're going to kill someone are not good at producing it on command. It must be practiced.
    -Rules/strategy meta

I wouldn't even recommend someone train separate conditioning prior to a match if they have all those bases covered - the strength training and mock matches will be more than enough conditioning. The most common disparity that allows people to win is technique with strength as a second.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast