starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Strength And Grappling Sports - Starting Strength Radio Clips

Default Strength And Grappling Sports - Starting Strength Radio Clips

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024

I argued a bit when you had nick on the podcast about your over emphasis on strength with little regard for endurance, or so it appeared to me at least. At the time I was deadlifting 495 and did a tournament, where I was blow away how much stronger I was than everyone else, but my cardio was shit so I was a little uncomfortable. Either way, it was a veryyyy easy tournament and I dominated every match.

I stopped lifting a little after that time because my buddy I lifted with went to the police academy and I decided to train bjj seven days a week instead vs three. Seven months later I did another tournament and got my fucking ass kicked. I felt so weak in the clinch and in any wrestling position, specifically coming up for a single from bottom half. Both were at blue belt, both were similar talent, I just felt so damn weak and funny enough I gassed harder even though my cardio was through the roof because I was so much weaker than my opponents. My coaches suggested I drop two weight classes because I was grappling at 199 and weighed 192 in a hoodie, flip flops, wallet and phone in my pocket. I was 195 for the earlier tournament.

Long story short, strength makes competitions so much easier. Technique is the top dog but holy fuck does being stronger than your opponents really help. You win this one rip and nick.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnsonville View Post
    I argued a bit when you had nick on the podcast about your over emphasis on strength with little regard for endurance, or so it appeared to me at least. At the time I was deadlifting 495 and did a tournament, where I was blow away how much stronger I was than everyone else, but my cardio was shit so I was a little uncomfortable. Either way, it was a veryyyy easy tournament and I dominated every match.

I stopped lifting a little after that time because my buddy I lifted with went to the police academy and I decided to train bjj seven days a week instead vs three. Seven months later I did another tournament and got my fucking ass kicked. I felt so weak in the clinch and in any wrestling position, specifically coming up for a single from bottom half. Both were at blue belt, both were similar talent, I just felt so damn weak and funny enough I gassed harder even though my cardio was through the roof because I was so much weaker than my opponents. My coaches suggested I drop two weight classes because I was grappling at 199 and weighed 192 in a hoodie, flip flops, wallet and phone in my pocket. I was 195 for the earlier tournament.

Long story short, strength makes competitions so much easier. Technique is the top dog but holy fuck does being stronger than your opponents really help. You win this one rip and nick.
    Usually, the people I'm having this "argument" with aren't very strong. We've got some underground lockdown rolls going on at WFAC and a few of the guys have started training at the gym and notice a difference in their performance within weeks. These guys range from white to brown belts. Check this out, if you haven't already: How to Do Conditioning: It Depends | Nick Delgadillo

If the strongest person won in combat sports every time then Eddie Hall and the mountain would easily become the UFC champion.

Look at the recent fight with Israel and Romero. Guys that have explosive genetics and a propensity for being much stronger than there opponent are ofcourse lethal but they lose to guys who are skilled/bigger gas tanks because they gas out when they do.

Strength is always important but it simply isn’t as easy to say that just being stronger than a competitor equals a victory.

All things are never equal in combat sports.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Larousse View Post

Strength is always important but it simply isn’t as easy to say that just being stronger than a competitor equals a victory.
    No one is saying this. I don't understand why this is always brought up as if we're saying that skill and experience don't matter. For the MILLIONTH time, the question is not whether **insert high level strength sport athlete here *** can beat ***insert high level MMA fighter/grappler/black belt here****. The question is would ***insert high level MMA fighter/grappler/black belt here*** be better if he were twice as strong?

Genetics matter more. A guy with worse genetics for strength and explosiveness is never going to outmuscle or outpower A guy like Yoel Romero. Should definitely still strength train but this is a case where a coach has to capitalize on the genetic advantages their fighter does have if they want a chance to beat the stronger guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Delgadillo View Post
    Usually, the people I'm having this "argument" with aren't very strong. We've got some underground lockdown rolls going on at WFAC and a few of the guys have started training at the gym and notice a difference in their performance within weeks. These guys range from white to brown belts. Check this out, if you haven't already: How to Do Conditioning: It Depends | Nick Delgadillo
    Very good article nick, and I agree. Truly the most eye opening thing about my experience is that I gassed worse when I was weaker but rolling seven days a week vs when I was doing hlm and rolling three times a week. Honestly a lot of my thinking towards strength training and athletics changed after reading strong enough and the bill starr article follow the road less traveled. I knew plenty of guys when I played rugby who could out lift me but hit like a little girl, and I am assuming the missing link is the clean and snatch for those who have a hard time displaying their strength. Anyways, good work posted by you guys and I wish my teammates would read and follow along too.

Genetics matter more. A guy with worse genetics for strength and explosiveness is never going to outmuscle or outpower A guy like Yoel Romero. Should definitely still strength train but this is a case where a coach has to capitalize on the genetic advantages their fighter does have if they want a chance to beat the stronger guy.
    Yes. More athletic people are more athletic.

If the strongest person won in combat sports every time then Eddie Hall and the mountain would easily become the UFC champion.

Look at the recent fight with Israel and Romero. Guys that have explosive genetics and a propensity for being much stronger than there opponent are ofcourse lethal but they lose to guys who are skilled/bigger gas tanks because they gas out when they do.

All things are never equal in combat sports.
    With equal skill, the stronger guy wins. Oftentimes even a less skilled, stronger guy will still win. Depends on the disparity in skill and it most definitely depends on the disparity in strength.

Who would win in a fight? Rickson Gracie in his prime, or an 800 lb silverback gorilla?

starting strength coach development program
    Pretty good, Soule.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast